disturbing photos

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of my 'friends' on myspace sent out a bulletin. The title was, "If you don't want a baby, don't have sex!" I was thinking it might be some sort of joke or even just a rant about people having unprotected sex or something, so I read it. Big mistake.

It turned out to be a post that I think had maybe two sentences at the top--which I was too distracted to read because the rest of the post was multiple photos of aborted fetuses/babies. It was one of the most disturbing bunch of photos I've ever seen. I closed the bulletin immediately after I realized what it was.

I then sent an email to the person who posted it, asking them to NEVER EVER send me anything like that again. I then removed the person from my myspace friends.

I just don't understand why anyone would think I would want to see those photos.

To use the argument that seeing photos like that would 'sway' me from ever considering an abortion is ludicrous because I knew before seeing the photos I would never have one. Those photos just disturbed me and offended me in every possible way.

I don't really have a question here, so I guess this isn't a debate, but didn't think this topic was appropriate for my PR group...

Any thoughts? I guess one could argue that maybe it was my own fault for 'choosing' to read a myspace bulletin from a 'friend' (another JM mommy, actually!), but then I would say I would never in a million years think that something like that was appropriate to send. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised--a friend of mine said she was sent an email of pictures of (adult) corpses... I have no idea what the gist of the email was or if there was one, but she too, was very offended. I just don't understand why people would 1) choose to view these types of things; and 2) think that that others would want to see them and mass distribute them via email/bulletin. It's one thing for a person to seek out these types of photos on websites or whatever for themselves, but to me distributing them to unknowing other people crosses the line.

OK, I'm done.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
July 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
chlodoll
I think its ridiculous to send a myspace bulletin like that! Who knows who you are opening it infront of! I agree if someone wants to seek out the pictures thats their perogative but to just send them out to people like that is innapropriate no matter if you are pro life, pro choice or indifferent.
July 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Veteran
I really don't see why you would de-friend someone because of this.. That's obviously a topic they feel passionately about..so they wanted to pass on the bulletin. LIke you said, you didn't have to read it.
July 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH's 13 year old sister sent out a similar one yesterday. It was full of pictures, most of nearly full term babies, and captions under the fetuses saying things like "why didn't you love me mommy?". Personally I think there are better ways to discuss one's beliefs on abortion.

July 3rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
An old co-worker of mine sent something like that to me at work once, I opened it and immediately deleted it before I could even get half way past the first picture, got up walked over to her desk and told her that she WILL NOT send me anything like that ever again. She was embarassed. The strangest part about it was that I barely even knew her. That is not something I'd send to someone I didn't know, just for the sake of forwarding an email. We're not talking about an innocent chain letter here. If I wanted to know what an aborted fetus looked like, I would look it up myself. I don't appreciate people sending material like this to me without warning me or asking me if it's something I wanted to see. Masking the subject line with something like, "FOR ALL THE MOM'S OUT THERE..." Forcing your opinions on someone with out being asked for them is completely uncalled for. I would have done the same thing you did.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
LaceyMommy2B
that would make me sick. as pro-life as i am, i would never wish for anyone to have to view that. those poor <strike>babies</strike> fetuses have lost their lives and are now having pictures of themselves thrown around in a tasteless manner. anyone TRULY PRO-LIFE, would have enough respect for those babies/fetuses lives to NOT send pictures around of their mutilated or non-living bodies. being pro-life, i see the unborn as a baby-just as i see my own daughter.. if something terrible were to happen to my daughter, i may warn ppl of ways to prevent it from happening to their children, but never send out pics of my baby's dead body saying "see what can happen?" does that make sense?

(i say mutilated because, in many "further along" abortions, the <strike>baby</strike> fetus has to be..err.. broken (cant think of a non-yucky word) in order to be removed.)

oh, and i like the word baby, cause thats how i see them, but ill say fetus or baby/fetus for the sake of the argument, and cause..pro-life/pro-choice.. i hope that BOTH sides would see that as tasteless and lacking of respect for others, be it the baby/fetus, or the person opening the email.
July 4th, 2007, 11:52 AM
kallie74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I really don't see why you would de-friend someone because of this.. That's obviously a topic they feel passionately about..so they wanted to pass on the bulletin. LIke you said, you didn't have to read it.[/b]
If the title had been, 'Photos of abortions,' I would have known not to look. And yes, maybe the person who sent it to me was "passionate." But to me sending photos of blood and gore, regardless of cause or whether it's a baby, adult, animal, whatever--is never, ever appropriate, regardless of your views on anything--period. I felt the person sending the bulletin lacked that judgment, so I had no hesitation in deleting her. (And for what it's worth, she was another JM mommy who I barely know... If it had been sent from one of my true friends, I would have just left it at the email stating I never wanted to be sent anything like that again.)

Quote:
Most of those pictures are just pro-life propaganda that isn't even real. If they are real fetuses, they weren't aborted. That's one of the things that p*sses me off the most! I hate those pictures, especially when I see them while driving down the road.[/b]
You know, to me it doesn't matter whether the pictures were real or not--they were disturbing either way. I hate seeing 'gore' of any type--including horror movies. I know that slasher stuff in movies is all fake, but it still bothers me and I still get nightmares. Obviously those types of movies have a large following, but I choose not to view them.

I keep re-imagining the photos I saw in that email. (SHUDDER) I did not need that.

christmas 2011 - so excited for Santa
July 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
~Faith~
I would not send an email or bulletin out like that. But I have viewed legitimate pictures of aborted babies, it only made my stance against abortion even stronger.
July 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As much as I'm against abortion, I think it's very tacky to send those photos. I think there are more positive ways to send a pro-life messages than using horror and shock tactics. We also have to respect that some people find those pictures extremely disturbing and even FOX has the consideration of saying "viewer discretion is advised" before each questionable program. That's really not much to ask. Obviously this wasn't done because the person wanted people to see these images without warning. IMO, it was a cheap trick.
I don't if I'd remove a person like that from my friends list, but I'd seriously consider opening anything they send ever again.

Sharon
July 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Bre+Will=Reid
I've seen photos of aborted fetuses, and although I am pro-life, my stance was not altered or strengthened by these photos.

When I was in high school, there was an "anti-abortion" group that picketed in from of our campus. As I was driving into school at 8 am, I was confronted with giant photos of bloody body parts. I was saddened that these groups felt it 1) appropriate to hold these photos in public and 2) that they were actually going to be effective. If anything, it solidified their positions as radicals that most people do not take seriously. It disturbed me to think that a little 8 year old on their way to 2nd grade had to see these graphic images. Dozens and dozens of parents and students went to the principle to ask him to make the picketers leave. He couldn't do anything, as they were not techically on the schools property.

July 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Dayna1
Disgusting. I've had the same bulletin on myspace before and I can't look at it. I saw the first photo then clicked it off.

I was 22 weeks pregnant and was looking for photos on yahoo of what my child would look like at 22 weeks gestation. And a whole bunch of aborted baby photos showed up

Makes me want to vomit.
July 5th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it is a disgusting and manipulative thing to do...I have seen the pictures before because I wanted to. A simple google search gave me everything I needed to know, I don't need anything forced on me.
July 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
*~LuckyCharms~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every year in our area, we have a huge family event down a major road in our city called the Dream Cruise.....pretty much everyone heads out for it, and people come from all over the country to basically show off their classic cars! Last year, there was a anti-abortion group with HUGE signs displaying pictures of aborted fetuses. I thought it was sick and horrible to do this at an event that had NOTHING to do with abortion, and in front of many children and families. I was appalled that this group obviously *thought* that they cared about children, yet obviously didn't care about the ones that were born and living and walking around on the street and being subjected to those horrifying images.

Thanks to cavewoman for my adorable siggy!

July 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Dayna1
Quote:
Every year in our area, we have a huge family event down a major road in our city called the Dream Cruise.....pretty much everyone heads out for it, and people come from all over the country to basically show off their classic cars! Last year, there was a anti-abortion group with HUGE signs displaying pictures of aborted fetuses. I thought it was sick and horrible to do this at an event that had NOTHING to do with abortion, and in front of many children and families. I was appalled that this group obviously *thought* that they cared about children, yet obviously didn't care about the ones that were born and living and walking around on the street and being subjected to those horrifying images.[/b]
Gross. That's really tacky. I don't want to look at photos of aborted babies, let alone my son seeing them!
July 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is one ad campaign here that is pro-life, and it has pictures of cute babies around 6-9 months old, playing and smiling and stuff. I think something like that is a more appropriate way to send a pro-life message.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search