Would it change abortion?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking about life today as I squished a baby spider in my house. I get grossed out by doing it but I really don't mind at all killing a tiny bug. The other day there was a big spider in our room and I just couldn't do it, I made dh kill it. And today we saw a rat outside our house and no waaay could I kill that sucker with my hands.
That made me think that often, people don't have any problems killing that which is tiny, seemingly insignificant, unsightly, and unwanted. Is this then why abortion is such an easy thing to obtain? I mean, why do they really cut the time of when you can abort? Is it because of a moral dilemma or is it because the baby is no longer a small tiny, insignificant being? If the moment of conception produced a mini version of a newborn would this change anything? If you could feel the kicks of a fetus and see human features from the start (which they sure do form early) but would it change the legality of abortion?

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 30th, 2007, 06:00 AM
chloe82
I think that has more to do with it than people are willing to admit. It's pretty much precisely why I don't understand the viewpoint of "it's ok this early, but not that late"...WHY? There is no logic to that, IMO.....what makes this being worthy of life at x number of weeks old but not y number of weeks old? It bothers me when the same people who refer to a 7 week old fetus as a "blob" also protest the idea of a 30-week-old fetus being aborted. The only REAL difference is in looks, and I think it's pretty obvious that it's easier to stomach the idea of this thing that looks like a gelatinous blob being aborted than it is something that looks exactly like a newborn, sucks it's thumb, etc. I do think that makes it easier for people to accept the idea of early abortions.

The one viewpoint I DO understand in relation to this idea is people who argue that early abortions are different from late-term abortions because at a certain point the fetus becomes able to survive outside of it's mother's womb and before that point the mother's rights should trump the fetus' rights. I don't necessarily agree, but that argument at least makes logical sense to me.

I guess overall, the legal issues would remain the same....(whose rights would trump whose in which scenarios?).....but I think as far as people's personal feelings on the morality of abortion goes this DOES influence some people's feelings to an extent. Although why is the cut-off in Canada 12 wks? (unless I'm wrong on that) The fetus is not able to survive outside of it's mother at 13 weeks, so why did they make the cut-off at THAT point? Yeah, still doesn't make sense to me.
July 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Although why is the cut-off in Canada 12 wks? (unless I'm wrong on that)[/b]
It isn't. Most clinics around here are performing abortions until 20 weeks and if needed, they will send patients to the States for late term abortions (for medical reasons).
July 30th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
The one viewpoint I DO understand in relation to this idea is people who argue that early abortions are different from late-term abortions because at a certain point the fetus becomes able to survive outside of it's mother's womb and before that point the mother's rights should trump the fetus' rights. I don't necessarily agree, but that argument at least makes logical sense to me.[/b]
I also think that some people think that before X number of weeks the fetus doesn't "feel". I'm not gonna debate whether that's true or not, but that's an argument I've heard plenty of times to justify an early abortion as opposed to a late one.
Personally, I think all these arguments are just excuses. To me, it's a life, plain and simple and without a TRUE justification, I think it deserves a chance to live.

I think that if you could see the fetus as a mini version of the baby, legally it'll remain the same. However, I think more people would think twice before ending a pregnancy when they can see what that insignificant thing will become.

Sharon
July 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
The one viewpoint I DO understand in relation to this idea is people who argue that early abortions are different from late-term abortions because at a certain point the fetus becomes able to survive outside of it's mother's womb and before that point the mother's rights should trump the fetus' rights. I don't necessarily agree, but that argument at least makes logical sense to me.[/b]
I also think that some people think that before X number of weeks the fetus doesn't "feel". I'm not gonna debate whether that's true or not, but that's an argument I've heard plenty of times to justify an early abortion as opposed to a late one.
Personally, I think all these arguments are just excuses. To me, it's a life, plain and simple and without a TRUE justification, I think it deserves a chance to live.

I think that if you could see the fetus as a mini version of the baby, legally it'll remain the same. However, I think more people would think twice before ending a pregnancy when they can see what that insignificant thing will become.

Sharon
[/b]
I totally agree.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM
mommyKathyX3
Well, I've thought that before, and one thing I dont completly agree with but is my husbands stance "kinda". Before there is a heartbeat, it is a LIFE, but not ALIVE. Like its that inbetween state where since there isnt a heartbeat yet its not yet alive. (that happens usually between 5-6 weeks preg) He thinks its not RIGHT, but acceptable to abort before the 6th week cause of this reason.

Just another thought.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search