If you are pro-life...

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
AshesL78's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to AshesL78
What do you suppose they do with all the unwanted babies if abortion were to be banned?

Thank you rawisner!
Delaney 06/09/05, Xander 06/02/05, Alerric 08/06/03, Myranda 03/06/02, Zachary 07/02/96
<div align="center"></div>
July 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is what I would suggest, although it would not make ALL the babies wanted. But it probably would mean that MOST of the moms would keep their baby. Many of the ones that don't want a baby, might change their mind when the baby gets there.

-free daycare
-free birth control or IUD if they want one postpartum
-medical care, food, shelter during their pregnancies
-a training program of some kind while they are pregnant so they can get a job
-counseling if needed

Even so, some of these moms would still not want to keep their baby. Say, a third for the sake of argument, would not want the baby even with all these support structures in place. So for them, adoption I guess would be the other option. Maybe if the cost of adoption were lowered, more people would be interested.

July 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
This is what I would suggest, although it would not make ALL the babies wanted. But it probably would mean that MOST of the moms would keep their baby. Many of the ones that don't want a baby, might change their mind when the baby gets there.

-free daycare
-free birth control or IUD if they want one postpartum
-medical care, food, shelter during their pregnancies
-a training program of some kind while they are pregnant so they can get a job
-counseling if needed

Even so, some of these moms would still not want to keep their baby. Say, a third for the sake of argument, would not want the baby even with all these support structures in place. So for them, adoption I guess would be the other option. Maybe if the cost of adoption were lowered, more people would be interested.[/b]
I don't know anyone personally, but I have heard that many people who would like to adopt in the US end up adopting out of the country because of the cost and difficulty in the process. Also some states do not allow singles or same-sex couples to adopt.

July 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What do you suppose they do with all the unwanted babies if abortion were to be banned?[/b]
Well, although I'm pro-life I'm also a realist and I know that banning abortion isn't the solution and it can bring acompletely different set of problems.
however, if we talk hypothetically and see things from an utopian POV, people would be more likely to use actual birth control instead of abortion as birth control, more babies would be given up for adoption and more help and counseling would be available. I think those should come first before conidering making abortion illegall, but it's highly unrealistic.

Sharon
July 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Dayna1
I would have to agree with Jewellz since I have no argument of my own.
July 31st, 2007, 10:35 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Adoption!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
July 31st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Foster homes are already overflowing as it is. There just aren't enough and enough families to adopt. If they don't want the child, they don't want it...no amount of help offered is going to change their mind.

Quote:
people would be more likely to use actual birth control instead of abortion as birth control[/b]
Maybe for some but not many. I don't think people actually think "Oh crap, we dont have a condom. Well, it's cool. If I get pregnant, I will just have an abortion."

Thank you rawisner!
Delaney 06/09/05, Xander 06/02/05, Alerric 08/06/03, Myranda 03/06/02, Zachary 07/02/96
August 1st, 2007, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If they don't want the child, they don't want it...no amount of help offered is going to change their mind.[/b]
I don't know about that. I think many people have abortions because they feel like that is their only option, since they don't have the resources to take care of a child. Give them the resources, and they may start to feel like being pregnant is not such a disaster after all.

This wouldn't happen for EVERYONE, but I think over half the people would end up feeling okay about their pregnancies.

August 1st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
Quote:
Foster homes are already overflowing as it is. There just aren't enough and enough families to adopt. If they don't want the child, they don't want it...no amount of help offered is going to change their mind.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
people would be more likely to use actual birth control instead of abortion as birth control[/b]
Maybe for some but not many. I don't think people actually think "Oh crap, we dont have a condom. Well, it's cool. If I get pregnant, I will just have an abortion."
[/b][/quote]

I highly doubt she was saying that.
She was saying that people would hopefully not have multiple abortions and not think twice about it. Which is what I mean when I say that abortion shouldn't be used a method of birth control. Abortion should not be taken as lightly as some do take it.
August 1st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>people would be more likely to use actual birth control instead of abortion as birth control[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I highly doubt she was saying that.
She was saying that people would hopefully not have multiple abortions and not think twice about it. Which is what I mean when I say that abortion shouldn't be used a method of birth control. Abortion should not be taken as lightly as some do take it.
[/b][/quote]
Do you honestly think that abortions are easy for the women that get them? You have no idea what emotional pain a woman goes through after having an abortion.

Thank you rawisner!
August 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with a pp.... adoption and education for the mothers! At least the baby would have a chance at life.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
August 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
littleln's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Adoption![/b]
Adoption is not going to cover all of those babies. There are a lot of babies and children NOW in the US who don't get adopted. I won't get into the reasons why because thats a whole different debate. The end result would be state sponsered orphanages. Thats the only way I could see it going. Foster homes etc.. are already busting at the seams.

Thanks to pattiandthemoos for the great siggy!

August 2nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
jodi16ss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
Adoption![/b]
Adoption is not going to cover all of those babies. There are a lot of babies and children NOW in the US who don't get adopted. I won't get into the reasons why because thats a whole different debate. The end result would be state sponsered orphanages. Thats the only way I could see it going. Foster homes etc.. are already busting at the seams.
[/b]
Which is why you think that disposing of them is a better solution? What about the children who do find loving homes and live happy, successful lives? I bet they were glad they weren't aborted. There are many wonderful adoption stories. I realize that there are probably equally as bad stories as well, but I am so thankful that the parents of those children made the choice to give their child up for adoption. I am pretty certain that the adoptive parents are too.

Proud Mommy to Jackson (5/1/03) & Isabella (6/16/06)
August 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Which is why you think that disposing of them is a better solution? What about the children who do find loving homes and live happy, successful lives? I bet they were glad they weren't aborted. There are many wonderful adoption stories. I realize that there are probably equally as bad stories as well, but I am so thankful that the parents of those children made the choice to give their child up for adoption. I am pretty certain that the adoptive parents are too. [/b]
What about the ones who don't find loving happy homes? What about the ones who end up abused, neglected, left in dumpsters, go from foster home to foster home, etc? Don't you think we have enough children going through all that horrible stuff as it is now? Why bring more children in the world to be made to go through all of that suffering?

Thank you rawisner!
August 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Quote:
What about the ones who don't find loving happy homes? What about the ones who end up abused, neglected, left in dumpsters, go from foster home to foster home, etc? Don't you think we have enough children going through all that horrible stuff as it is now? Why bring more children in the world to be made to go through all of that suffering?[/b]
The prisons are full, too. Why don't we just end their lives to create room? Abortion is horrible stuff, just as horrible as abuse, neglect, left for dead, and abusive foster homes.

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
August 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Quote:
What about the ones who don't find loving happy homes? What about the ones who end up abused, neglected, left in dumpsters, go from foster home to foster home, etc? Don't you think we have enough children going through all that horrible stuff as it is now? Why bring more children in the world to be made to go through all of that suffering?[/b]
The prisons are full, too. Why don't we just end their lives to create room? Abortion is horrible stuff, just as horrible as abuse, neglect, left for dead, and abusive foster homes.
[/b]
We should. We could always kill the child molestors, child killers, etc. How is abortion as horrible as abuse and neglect? You actually think it's worse to subject them to a lifetime of hurt and pain and they might end up being killed anyway? You think it's better for them to be killed after birth than before?

Thank you rawisner!
August 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Quote:
We should. We could always kill the child molestors, child killers, etc. How is abortion as horrible as abuse and neglect? You actually think it's worse to subject them to a lifetime of hurt and pain and they might end up being killed anyway? You think it's better for them to be killed after birth than before?[/b]
I don't believe it is better to subject a child to pain, abuse, or death at any time- before being born or after.

August 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Veteran
I imagine that most of the children would be kept by parents who do not have the resources to parent - until the parents get so overwhelmed in thier inability and unreadiness to care for thier children - that child services gets involved. That would mean more older children in the system with less funding and fewer resources. The 500,000 children already in the system will have to suffer and sacrafice because of the lack of funding and higher financial demands.

Because most of the women who obtain abortion are minority (AA women are 4 times and Hispanic women 2.5 times more likley to keep abortion then CA women) and the for profit indipendant adoption industry (not government run) has little intrest and little ability to profit from the placement of minority baby's/children - most (even newborn babies) would fall throguh the cracks of the industry, be considered "unadoptable", and end up god knows where.

Adoption is flawed. Certianly not the best option for every single women in the world who faces an unwanted pregnancy.
August 6th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Adoption is better than murder. I know my children who were in the foster care system for many years are happy that their bio moms didn't abort them. Adoption isn't flawed, it's just a long process and there are many couples out there waiting to adopt.

August 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberL
Quote:
Adoption is better than murder. I know my children who were in the foster care system for many years are happy that their bio moms didn't abort them. Adoption isn't flawed, it's just a long process and there are many couples out there waiting to adopt.[/b]
First, many many people don't consider abortion 'murder'. Also, the lengthy process of adoption IS a flaw. If it didn't take as long...and still have the chance of losing the child afterwards, to adopt I do think more people would adopt from inside the US. One reason many people adopt from other countries is the shorter process. When I wast TTC, I looked into adoption. Many places you have to be married, for no less than two years, be of a certain age...but not older than a certain age. Also, gay people and single people (in most cases) cannot adopt.

So, just looking at that...that leaves a lot of people unable (though willing) to adopt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search