When is it ok

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: When is it ok to have an abortion?
When you don't want the child 9 9.28%
When the child was an accident 2 2.06%
When you were a victim of rape 3 3.09%
When you found out you were having a boy and you want a girl 0 0%
When your life or the baby's life is at risk 23 23.71%
It's never ok 43 44.33%
Other 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
I don't think it's ever ok.
January 23rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Newbies
Quote:
When is it ok to have an abortion? I voted other. It's ok whenever any woman decides to have one, regardless of reason.[/b]
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share some thoughts on this subject. The choice to have an abortion for the reasons of pride, anger, regret, jealously, despair, or as a result of lust are never correct. The mothers who are choosing abortion because of these we need to console, love and be compassionate, for their soul and for the life of the unborn child. For those that say they will not be told what to do with their own bodies, we are not talking about your body. Your body does not have 4 legs and arms 2 hearts and brains, and when carrying a boy a woman does not have a penis. It is not your body but the body of the child carried in your womb. The mother’s womb should be the safest place on earth, not an excuse for abortion. When dealing with the reasons above the choice comes before conception, not after. Now as for abortion for the reason of being raped or of incest, I am truly sorry for any woman who had this evil done to her. There is no one on earth that needs to be loved or shown more compassion then in these cases. I say this with a heavy heart and love but the choice on how to deal with this, although maybe the fastest to help get through the horrible ordeal, is not abortion. The woman involved in either of these acts of evil should not choose to punish the unborn child by abortion. If there was ever a case of showing a child the utmost love this is the time, and if it is unbearable reminder of the heinous evil done to them, then let another who is willing to love and give all that is needed to the child through adoption. When the choice of abortion comes about because the pregnancy is life threaten to the mother, I cannot nor will ever say which is the correct choice. That choice is the choice of the mother, even if the father says yea or nay, it is the mother who must choose to risk her life for her child, even if it could risk both of their lives, or save one of them. The mother may choose to ask for help from the father or others but when it comes down to it she has the final say. I wish this was never a situation for any mother; I have all compassion and condolences to all who had to deal with this situation. I hope this will help all those who may have to console any mother who may have to make a choice of abortion. And for the mothers who have already made the choice I pray for your health and mind and spirituality. If anyone would like to email me with question or comments please do, even if you don’t agree with me, I would love to share with you.
May God bless and keep all of you safe

January 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I voted other. It's ok whenever any woman decides to have one, regardless of reason.

February 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Century Darkthorne's Avatar Angel Of Darkness
I chose other because everyone has different reasons and situations.

No I am not a Satanist. The 666 was a joke between me and a few friends of mine and it kind of stuck. So don't let it put you off from checking out my myspace or adding me. I don't bite.

February 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only time I support anyone's right to have an abortion is when the mother's life is in imminent danger. And by imminent danger, I mean she will most certainly die if she carries the child to term. I don't consider psychological side-effects, or other medical complications (like having to have a c-section due to severe hydrocephaly) that don't imminently endanger the life of the mother to be "good enough" (for lack of a better word) reasons to have an abortion.

As far as rape goes, I hope I would have the strength and courage to carry a baby to term and then place it for adoption, and while I still don't want to see an innocent life ended because of the actions of a rapist, I won't be condemning anyone for that choice.

As far as other situations, I have little to no sympathy for women who have abortions for other reasons. I don't care how complicated the situation, there are ALWAYS other options, in my opinion. I don't think I could continue to maintain a relationship with a woman who chose to have an abortion outside these situations.
February 5th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Quote:
I voted other. It's ok whenever any woman decides to have one, regardless of reason.[/b]
ditto
February 5th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I just have to ask...The women who are saying "other, because it's okay whenever a woman decides she wants one," are you really saying you support a woman choosing to have an abortion because she wanted a girl, and is having a boy?!?!
February 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Okay, I just have to ask...The women who are saying "other, because it's okay whenever a woman decides she wants one," are you really saying you support a woman choosing to have an abortion because she wanted a girl, and is having a boy?!?![/b]
Do I PERSONALLY support her and think that is a decent reason? No. Do I think that she should STILL be able to have an abortion for any reason she wishes LEGALLY? Yes. She should be able to regardless of the reason up to a certain amount of weeks, IMO. It's not up to me or anyone else to decide which reasons are good enough and which aren't. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 5.14% of abortions are performed over 16 weeks. Most can not know the sex until that time. Factoring in that many miscarriage D & C's are the same thing as abortion, I am sure that adds in to that number. So I don't think that there are many women doing that for the reason you stated and most definitely not enough to cause a public uproar and start legislating reasons for abortion. Even if they did, those women would surely lie and get one by giving another reason.

February 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Okay, I just have to ask...The women who are saying "other, because it's okay whenever a woman decides she wants one," are you really saying you support a woman choosing to have an abortion because she wanted a girl, and is having a boy?!?![/b]

I would not personally share or support her choice, but legally speaking, yes, she should still have that option. It's her body, not mine. I won't tell her what to do with it.

x1
February 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I_Run_with_Scissors
Quote:
I didnt say i supported her, i personally could never ever have an abortion but who am i to say what someone else can or cannot do with their body, its not up to me and if she wants to have an abortion for any reason as dumb as anyone thinks it is, its up to HER and not anyone else

** im using she and her in the general sense its not directed at anyone in particular
February 5th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think that the only time it is ok to have an abortion is when the life of the mother is in danger. Killing a fetus is no different than killing a toddler. Thou shalt not kill... no acceptions! BUT if the mother's life is at stake and there is no way around both lives being lost, than I think it is ok to have an abortion. I read an interesting article that said less than 3% of abortions are performed due to the mother's health or an incidence concerning rape victims. 97% of the time it is for other reasons. I don't see how in a society that mourns the death of a loved one and everybody fears death, that somehow abortion is ok. You're killing your helpless child! No matter what the reason that just is wrong.[/b]
First off I don't think you truly understand what a women goes through when she makes this decision and how it affects her for the rest of your life. If you are so "againts" abortion, why don't you go and adopt children that don't have families? Instead of having your own?? How many children are there that don't have a family, which could have been avoided if the mother had decided that she would make the "best" choice at the time and terminate the pregnancy?? Killing a fetus is completely different than killing a toddler. I don't understand how you could even say this, it isn't even considered a fetus until the heart starts beating, at what 10 wks. You are completly ignorant when it comes to peoples choices and decisions, everyone leads a different life. Every Women should be allowed to make the decision that is best for HER and who are you to say that having a baby is HER best choice? It might be right for you, but not for everyone. As for quoting one of the ten commandments, how many of those are broken every day? Thou shalt not lie, I am sure you have told a lie who hasn't, thou shall love thy neighbour, who loves all of their neighbours?? Seriously, are we going to through more "helpless" children into this world, just because some people don't believe in having abortions?? How about making it a law that you have to get a parenting course before you decide to have kids and that you need a license to be parents, is that what we should do? so that all the parents out there that don't and can't take care of their children can't have them? I have friends who neglect their children, who sluff them off onto one babysitter to another, never spending time with them, not having the money to buy them groceries, and you think that is ok??

I think that every women has HER own right to decide when and what SHE wants to do. I have had an abortion, even after swearing all my life that I would never do it, that I could never do it, but the situation was horrible and I did not want to bring a child into this world where it wouldn't be given the life it should have. To this day I have feelings of guilt and anger at myself, but that doesn't effect your life does it? no it doesn't I am the one who has to deal with my choices, your life still goes on like normal. Stop being so judgmental because until you have been there and experienced something you can never understand. Through all of this, I know that I made the right decision, my life wouldn't be where it is today if I hadn't made those choices, I would still be in an abusive relationship, instead of with my wonderful husband who supports me and loves me even knowing the choices that I have made in my past. He doesn't judge me, he doesn't tell me to get over it, he is there when I am sad and when I am guilty and when I need to talk about my baby, because that what it was to me and that is what it is to every women, it is OUR baby, we had to make the hard choice to decide not to go thru with the pregnancy, but that doesn't make that baby any less of child to us, it isn't like we have no feelings. I am reminded daily about my decision, every baby I see, I think to myself I could have a toddler by now, but that wasn't what my life was supposed to be, this is what my life is, here and now. My DH and I are TTC our first, and it is painful, because I feel all the time, well why do I deserve another baby, I gave mine up, and you know what my DH says to me "You are the most wonderful person in the world, with the biggest heart, you will get your baby, because we were meant to have that baby, not you alone" and I know that I do deserve to have another chance, to make things right for the choices that i made.

I have no regrets, I made my decision and that was what happened. I am just glad that I had the CHOICE, that I wasn't forced into something that I couldn't handle at the time.

If you want to judge me feel free, but you can never judge me as much as I judge myself, because you don't know me.

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

February 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Rape and medical. People who think it's NEVER okay have never been raped. True you can give the baby up for adoption to a loving family. But it will destroy you emotionally to have the baby in the first place and hate your own child. Your life will be ruined. The best option is taking the morning after pill if you are raped, and the medical aspect is a paticularly difficult one. If the baby is in distress you have to hope like hell for the best, but if the mother is going to die it's a hell of a world to be living in.
February 8th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I think that the only time it is ok to have an abortion is when the life of the mother is in danger. Killing a fetus is no different than killing a toddler. Thou shalt not kill... no acceptions! BUT if the mother's life is at stake and there is no way around both lives being lost, than I think it is ok to have an abortion. I read an interesting article that said less than 3% of abortions are performed due to the mother's health or an incidence concerning rape victims. 97% of the time it is for other reasons. I don't see how in a society that mourns the death of a loved one and everybody fears death, that somehow abortion is ok. You're killing your helpless child! No matter what the reason that just is wrong.[/b]
If you want to judge me feel free, but you can never judge me as much as I judge myself, because you don't know me.
[/b]
I completely agree with you Micksbabe and from the bottom of my heart I want to tell you that you are a good person and you do deserve a baby. Because you have a good head on your shoulders and you made the best decision out of a bad situation. You didn't make that decision for YOU, you made it with the best interests of everyone involved. Your baby did not die when you had an abortion, that was an experience that I believe was just in your cards. It's a huge part of your past and shouldn't be forgotten but it made you who you are today, and you can't change the past.

I know that I don't know you, I just feel like I do, somehow.
February 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I don't think it is ever ok.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 24th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Mummy2R
I am pro choice. I believe every woman should have a choice.

In the UK it is legal up to 24 weeks. My Best friend had a termination at 20 weeks as she only found out she was pregnant the at 19 weeks to this day have no idea how she did it. I may not agree with what she did at 20 weeks but she told me she had to make a decision which was right for her and her future.

I couldn't do what she did at 20 weeks, however yes I have HAD an abortion at 6 weeks and for me I thought it was the right decision at the time I did it. It ate me up inside and I don't think I could ever do it again. Thankfully I went on to have 2 wonderful children.

But I don't think we should ever take the choice away from a woman.
February 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
mummy2angel&ray's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
THis is always a difficult thing for me to talk about...

I am pro-life. I have watched videos of babies being aborted and it almost made me throw up. I wonder if most of the women who get abortions simply because "they feel like it" because they were too lazy to use birth control, watched the procedures being done, and watched the doctors ripping apart their babies limb by limb if they would still consider it.

I find it absolutely dispicable that the UK will allow abortions up to 24 weeks. My baby was born at 24 weeks and survived. Babies are considered "viable" at this stage. That I consider murdering absolutely. Those babies have a chance at survival after 24 weeks. Anything before even 23 weeks will not survive outside the womb. (in which case I still consider abortion at any gestation killing. those babies are alive, moving, swallowing and have a heartbeat. It is alive) I think the poeple who allow abortions that late into a pregnancy need to have their doctoring liscense revoked and I think people who do it that late need to be punished by the law.

The only situations in which I see abortion "necessary" is when the mom is at risk of dying or the baby is very sick and/or severely disfigured and will not survive once born and women/young girls who have been raped. As for women who use this as a form of birth control.. I think they are severely screwed up in their head and need some counselling. I have no respect or sympathy for women who get multiple abortions by choice. There's so many forms of birth control out there. If you are not smart enough to be using it, than you should not be having sex...period. Yeah ok a young couple (teens) is uneducated on the consequences of unprotected sex. So she goes in and has an abortion. But for the same person to just go and do it again, knowing full well what can happen and has happened to her in the past to go and do it for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time is absolutely rediculous, careless and irrisponsible. If I had a friend who did that, I would tell her my opinion and probably not speak to her again.

I know my opinion is harsh but thats what I think. I am not judging anyone here. I am simply just stating how I feel about it. It just makes me so sad. I'm sorry if this makes anyone mad..

Thank you HeatherW97 for my siggy

365 days of photos http://stephybean.blog.ca/

February 26th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Gray Sea
Quote:
First off I don't think you truly understand what a women goes through when she makes this decision and how it affects her for the rest of your life. If you are so "againts" abortion, why don't you go and adopt children that don't have families? Instead of having your own?? How many children are there that don't have a family, which could have been avoided if the mother had decided that she would make the "best" choice at the time and terminate the pregnancy?? Killing a fetus is completely different than killing a toddler. I don't understand how you could even say this, it isn't even considered a fetus until the heart starts beating, at what 10 wks. You are completly ignorant when it comes to peoples choices and decisions, everyone leads a different life. Every Women should be allowed to make the decision that is best for HER and who are you to say that having a baby is HER best choice? It might be right for you, but not for everyone. As for quoting one of the ten commandments, how many of those are broken every day? Thou shalt not lie, I am sure you have told a lie who hasn't, thou shall love thy neighbour, who loves all of their neighbours?? Seriously, are we going to through more "helpless" children into this world, just because some people don't believe in having abortions?? How about making it a law that you have to get a parenting course before you decide to have kids and that you need a license to be parents, is that what we should do? so that all the parents out there that don't and can't take care of their children can't have them? I have friends who neglect their children, who sluff them off onto one babysitter to another, never spending time with them, not having the money to buy them groceries, and you think that is ok??

I think that every women has HER own right to decide when and what SHE wants to do. I have had an abortion, even after swearing all my life that I would never do it, that I could never do it, but the situation was horrible and I did not want to bring a child into this world where it wouldn't be given the life it should have. To this day I have feelings of guilt and anger at myself, but that doesn't effect your life does it? no it doesn't I am the one who has to deal with my choices, your life still goes on like normal. Stop being so judgmental because until you have been there and experienced something you can never understand. Through all of this, I know that I made the right decision, my life wouldn't be where it is today if I hadn't made those choices, I would still be in an abusive relationship, instead of with my wonderful husband who supports me and loves me even knowing the choices that I have made in my past. He doesn't judge me, he doesn't tell me to get over it, he is there when I am sad and when I am guilty and when I need to talk about my baby, because that what it was to me and that is what it is to every women, it is OUR baby, we had to make the hard choice to decide not to go thru with the pregnancy, but that doesn't make that baby any less of child to us, it isn't like we have no feelings. I am reminded daily about my decision, every baby I see, I think to myself I could have a toddler by now, but that wasn't what my life was supposed to be, this is what my life is, here and now. My DH and I are TTC our first, and it is painful, because I feel all the time, well why do I deserve another baby, I gave mine up, and you know what my DH says to me "You are the most wonderful person in the world, with the biggest heart, you will get your baby, because we were meant to have that baby, not you alone" and I know that I do deserve to have another chance, to make things right for the choices that i made.

I have no regrets, I made my decision and that was what happened. I am just glad that I had the CHOICE, that I wasn't forced into something that I couldn't handle at the time.

If you want to judge me feel free, but you can never judge me as much as I judge myself, because you don't know me.[/b]

everything you said, i completely agree with.
i feel for you, but i don't judge you. and if we were to meet in real life, and you brought it up, (which imo, it is NONE of my business) i would still remain friends with you.

i have had 3 or 4 friends who had abortions. maybe even more if they kept it a secret.
anyway. those friends who told me about their choice, they really thought it was the best choice for them at the time. and, eventhough i say that i will NEVER even consider one, i stood by their side...and gave them support.
i mean, one of them was on bc, used condoms, and still...it all failed her. YES maybe she shouldn't have been having sex...but why can't we have sex? it's a human need, a human crave. sex comes with consequences (that is when you don't want what sex is intentionally made for)...but, to this day...those friends of mine still beat themselves up over it.
they have enough guilt on their own, that i hate that society needs to add more to it...especially if they've never experienced it themselves...of course...those who judge probably never have had an abortion, and are so smack against it, that they won't even know what it's like to go through one, and probably they don't even feel remotely sad because in their eyes, an abortion was a choice that it was made on their own...not something someone forced on them...when in cases...that is the truth.
anyway.
i have sworn i will never get one. and to this day, i still feel strongly about it, but who's to know what the future brings.
i do say i will never consider one because i got my tubes tied, simply because i am done having kids. but, my dh says that if we get an accident...he wants me to abort. to that, i say HELL no. just because my tubes failed me, i am not going to abort. we had sex...well, we take care of it.
the only thing that sucks for me is that i have premature babies. so that's a main reason why he would suggest one. because we can't afford the extra costs it takes for me to maintain an almost full term pregnancy. but that's just my opinion.

i say i could never have one...but who knows.
i am pro-choice. but at the same time...pro-life, when it comes to MY body. i don't think it makes sense, but it does to me.
February 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am 100% against abortions. If my life was at risk i know it would be a very hard thing to go through, especially for my DH because i know he'd want to protect me, but i still believe i would never abort. This said however i would never judge someone who had an abortion. It's not my place to judge. I feel for women who have had them done, because i know how difficult the decision often is to live with. I've had friends who have had them and i never once judged them. I felt sad about the situation, but never judged because i know they were already going through a difficult time without me telling them they were wrong. One of my friends feels she made the right choice and doesn't at all regret it and i respect her opinion. My other friend regretted it and it killed her inside. She ended up pregnant again and decided to keep it because she couldn't deal with aborting another.

As far as talk of the commandments, we do all break them. Everyone sins because we are humans, but that doesn't make it okay. We all have lied but that doesn't mean lying is okay to do. There are lots of people who commit adultery but it's still wrong. I would never say "i'm going to cheat on my husband because everyone breaks the commandments everyday. It's just not right to think that way IMO.

February 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is never OK.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search