Hypothetically (spinoff)

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: What would you do
Yes 8 40.00%
No, I would rather not know 12 60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you were at one of your prenatal apointments and you found out the baby/fetus you are carrying has a severe problem, do you think you would have an abortion?

A. Physical problems.
The problem will not actually KILL them in utero, but their quality of life would be reduced and they may or may not survive on the outside. For instance if they have some condition requiring multiple surgeries after birth.

and

B. Mental handicap.
The child will be severely mentally handicapped and will need round the clock care from you for the rest of his/her life, or will need to be put in an institution.

Do you typically get your prenatal tests for these types of conditions or do you decline those kind of tests, preferring not to know?

October 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would not abort for a condition that would require multiple surgeries or for a severe mental handicap. However, there are some things that I may consider aborting for. Such as things that had no chance of fixing with surgery. A condition where the baby does not have certain organs & transplants are not an option, such severe genetic disorder that the babys condition was "incompatible with life" and had severe severe physical deformities to the point of being unrecognizable, etc. I likely also wouldnt put my child on life support if it wasnt something they had a chance of ever ocming off of (like putting a baby with no kidneys on dialysis for example), except to sustain life long enough to allow family members to come and make peace or to get one chance family pictures done.

I didnt even know some of these things existed before I started doing bereavement photography for parents experiencing early infant losses... but after seeing images of babies born with no skulls, such severely deformed bodies & organs, missing organs, those extreme situations have made me rethink a lot of what I used to think.

A mental handicap? Likely not unless it meant that my child would definitely, without a doubt, be a vegetable their entire life. But typically, upon the birth of children with issues like that they go through a lot to be kept alive. I likely wouldnt abort, but I also would likely not go through great lengths to sustain life. I believe in letting nature takes its course in most all situations. Like I said, only in situations where there was really nothing that could be done would I consider abortion, and then it would be a very tough decision and admittedly, it would likely have more to do with how far along I was and if I thought I would go full term, and if so, how long I had until then, and how I was holding up emotionally. Having seen these babies before, it haunts me, and I *think* I would have a very difficult time with it.

Now with all that said, I do decline all prenatal testing. I dont think those tests are really worth the vials theyer held in. But I do agree to a 20 week diagnostic ultrasound to determine that all organs are there, functioning, etc.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
October 27th, 2007, 06:28 AM
chloe82
A. Physical problems.

No, I would definitely not abort.

B. Mental handicap.

No, I would definitely not abort.

Do you typically get your prenatal tests for these types of conditions or do you decline those kind of tests, preferring not to know?

I declined these tests becuase in the grand scheme of things it made no difference to me...I wasn't going to NOT have my baby if it had any of these conditions. I would have CONSIDERED these tests if they had been risk-free simply to know ahead of time and prepare myself via reading, research, etc, if I was going to have something that major to deal with, but that upfront knowledge and preparation was not worth any risk to the baby.
November 2nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I figure that we were given every child for a reason so there is no way I would end it's life just because it didn't meet the human race's vision of "perfection". Every one of my kids will be perfect to me. I would/did get have the blood work for -- downs I think? I would NEVER go as far as an amnio because that scares the heck out of me. But I think a heads up would give us time to learn how to deal with the what we're facing. Of course those can be wrong and we may have a totally healthy and no worries.

Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search