would you abort if you were raped?

Abortion Debate

This forum is for Abortion debate only. If you are highly sensitive about this topic, read at your own discretion.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Would you abort if you were raped?
yes most definitely 91 25.49%
no absolutely not 166 46.50%
not sure 100 28.01%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Abortion Debate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Spud'sMom
Quote:
Yes, I would. I don't know that I could raise a kid that wasn't the product of a loving relationship.[/b]

I was violently raped and assaulted and did have an abortion when I was 15. I didn't want to be pregnant and I didn't want to raise a child that was a product of such a horrendous experience.
May 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Melanie.'s Avatar Totalimmortal
I would definitely NOT abort.
You can say whatever you want, I know I wouldn't. I'm way too strong in my beliefs as a person. That child is not at fault and you can't blame it and take your anger out on it. It doesn't deserve that horror.
May 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Mud235's Avatar Super Mom Extrodinaire
I would absolutely. I don't think that I could be a good parent knowing that the child that I am raising is a product of a violence against me.
June 8th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Super Mommy
I would definitely not abort. I don't know that I would keep the child, though. And I've been in debates like this before where someone comes back at me and says, "You can't say you wouldn't abort if you haven't been in that situation." I can say for 100% certain that I know I wouldn't abort. Like someone previously said, the baby did nothing wrong. I don't feel like it's my place to decide that they shouldn't have a life on Earth because of something horrible that someone else did. That's the case for me though, that's how I feel. I'm definitely not judging others decisions or experiences.
June 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Veteran
without a doubt yes.
June 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hello, I'm new here.

I absolutely would not have an abortion. I believe it's always wrong and I wouldn't be able to live with myself. After all, like someone else said, it's my child, too.

The question is is it a human being? Answer: Yes. And it's never OK to kill another person, no matter how much their living upsets you.

It's not like you have to raise it if you really don't want to. It's not a choice between raising the child and killing it. Obviously there are other options. Better to leave it on the doorstep of a hospital or a church than to murder it. You could put the baby up for adoption.

If it happened to me, I'm not sure whether I would raise the child or put him/her up for adoption. I'd be inclined to raising it, but I can't say for sure. I know for sure that I would never abort.[/b]
^^Ditto.

June 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
hotjai21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to hotjai21
never posted in here- but what a way to start.

I wouldnt not abort. Its a personal belief of mine that its wrong, I doubt that I could keep the baby, I would probably find a loving family. But in no way is it the childs fault.

url=http://www.pregnology.com/pregnancy/03/01/2015][/url]Make a pregnancy ticker

July 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I said not sure. I want to say yes but I honestly don't know. I guess I would actually have to be in the situation in order to be able to make an honest decision.
July 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
I answered no.

Why?

That child did not ask for it's mom to be raped, nor did it ask to be conceived. It also didn't ask to be killed.[/b]
A woman doesn't ask to be raped.
If two people consent to sex, it can be argued that the risk of conception is understood and accepted. Rape does not involve consent and a rapist grants no concern or consideration for the immediate, much less future, risks he imposes upon his victim.
Quote:
Why punish an innocent child for something that is not their fault, that they had no control over?[/b]
Why punish an innocent women for something that is not her fault, that she had no control over?
Quote:
That child is still a child and deserving of love and of a life regardless of how or why it was conceived. Every child is.[/b]
The victim is still a person and deserving of autonomy, regardless of other's desire to subjugate choices concerning her body. Every person is. A rapist imposes his will against a woman's body, absent of consent, why should society be permitted to pick up where he left off?

Quote:
That child is not at fault and you can't blame it and take your anger out on it. It doesn't deserve that horror.[/b]
The woman is not at fault and you can't blame her or take your anger out on her. She doesn't deserve that horror.

July 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
AMDG's Avatar Margaret
Quote:
Quote:
I answered no.

Why?

That child did not ask for it's mom to be raped, nor did it ask to be conceived. It also didn't ask to be killed.[/b]
If two people consent to sex, it can be argued that the risk of conception is understood and accepted. Rape does not involve consent and a rapist grants no concern or consideration for the immediate, much less future, risks he imposes upon his victim.
Quote:
Why punish an innocent child for something that is not their fault, that they had no control over?[/b]
Why punish an innocent women for something that is not her fault, that she had no control over?
Quote:
That child is still a child and deserving of love and of a life regardless of how or why it was conceived. Every child is.[/b]
The victim is still a person and deserving of autonomy, regardless of other's desire to subjugate choices concerning her body. Every person is. A rapist imposes his will against a woman's body, absent of consent, why should society be permitted to pick up where he left off?

Quote:
That child is not at fault and you can't blame it and take your anger out on it. It doesn't deserve that horror.[/b]
The woman is not at fault and you can't blame her or take your anger out on her. She doesn't deserve that horror.
[/b]
How does answering questions with more questions help the debate?
The PP never said a woman asks to be raped. The PP never claimed that a rape victim is not a person or that a rape victim should be punished.
The abortion debate just seems to go in circles. It seems simple to me though. You (general you) either believe that an unborn child is a human life or you don't. If you believe an unborn child, fetus, whatever youw ant to call it, is a life than you either believe that all life has value or your don't. If you believe all life has value, you may believe that while all life has value, not all life has enough value to protect and that the desires or decisions of the mother outweigh the value of the life of the unborn child.

I'm not the person you were responding to, but it seemed clear to me that the poster believes that value of the unborn life is equal to that of the rape victim. It seems just as clear that you believe that the two lives are not equal because if they were than they should be equally treasured and equally protected.

"Authentic love is not a vague sentiment or a blind passion. It is an inner attitude that involves the whole human person. It is looking to the other, not to use but to serve. It is rejoicing when the other rejoices and suffers when the other suffers. Love is the gift of self." JPII
July 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Veteran
I said not sure. I have been raped before, I took the morning after pill. I can't say yes 100% cerintiy, unless I'm ever in that situation again what I'll do. I think I would have an abortion...but again, I just don't know.
July 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did.

August 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I answered no.

Why?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
[/b]
I really don't get why you take it so personally that other women speak with conviction about not having an abortion or why they wouldn't....

I didn't read ONE post that said that these PP's judge women who have been raped & have an abortion. Not one. So if they believe this to be true for THEMSELVES why do you give such a rip or take it so personal?

I PERSONALLY feel regardless of the scenario - if I were to become pg by rape (or if my child was severe deformed, had no chance of life, etc, etc, etc - whatever scenario you put out there) I do NOT think I would EVER have an abortion. NEVER. I am sure you think I cannot possibly know this about myself....you have a right to believe that - I am certain you are wrong, but you can believe it. I am very very very acquainted with myself. I spend a great deal of energy & time trying to figure myself out & understand myself & my beliefs. I have had my fair share of kicks to the head in this life-time & up to this point I have never once stepped away from who I am at the CORE in a decision I made in response to a given situation - no matter how crappy the situation. I KNOW that rape has varying degrees of trauma. There are varying degrees of many things in this lifetime....there are NOT varying degrees of basic core beliefs in my life. It would be MORE traumatic to ME to have an abortion & live with that than any other possible outcome. It CAN be a healing process to decide to carry a baby after rape. It can be EMPOWERING to take charge of your life & make a decision that you feel GOOD about. I do not expect that all women will respond that way - but if you are saying that after a rape I *could* be sooo potentially different than I am today that I am not at liberty to say what I would do then I challenge you to prove me wrong. How are you going to show me that I am not anchored so firmly to my feelings on this that what someone else does to me would EMPOWER THEM (not me) to make me do something that goes against the very core of my value of life? How would that NOT be more trauma to add to the mix? Perhaps to someone who feels it is already an option & a viable one it seems preposterous - but to me since I so firmly believe it is NOT an option - I work CONSTANTLY on being proactive in my life instead of reactive...and to completely do a 180 on something so huge to me would be like giving the rapist MORE power in my life if I got an abortion - not less.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
^^^^ITA

August 11th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I_Run_with_Scissors
I honestly dont know what i would do
August 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I personally feel that I would not but am 100% pro-choice and would understand either decision.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

August 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
I voted "absolutely not!" because, it is a child, it is a life. If I couldn't bear to be with the child, adoption would also be an option, somehow people seem to forget about that as an option.

</div><div align="center">

</div>
May 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think killing a baby due to rape is right, at least for me. It's not the baby's fault I was raped, why should he or she die because of it? I might give him up for adoption, but abortion is out of the question.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
May 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I don't know. I wouldn't know unless it happened honestly. I understand the whole "fault" line, but it's also not my fault. I wouldn't ask to be raped. KWIM? Overall it would just depend on my feelings afterward, my DH, and other factors.

Last edited by melkissa2004; May 12th, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search