Supply increasing tricks

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pumping Tips & Tricks LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It seems like how to increase supply is one of our most common questions, so I think it'd be helpful if we create a sticky of ways to boost milk supply!

Remember milk production is based on demand, so if you tell your body you need more and provide nutrition and what it needs to make it, then it should make more. It takes a few days or a week to change supply. Remember any amount of milk you can give your baby is liquid gold, even if you have to supplement with formula the amound of breastmilk you provide is a gift nobody else can give your baby and it's worth it!

Any supply-boosting suggestions to add?

The basics:
Eat oatmeal (old fashioned is best)
Drink plenty of water
Take prenatal vitamins
Get as much rest as you can
Pump or nurse until empty at least every few hours
Continue pumping 1-2 minutes past empty to simulate baby still being hungry
Power pump (pump a few minutes, stop a few minutes, repeat)
Use letdown tricks to improve how much milk is removed
Try Fenugreek or blessed thistle
Pump while with your baby or hold something snuggly that smells like him/her

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wckndte/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
Check out my blog! Full of weightloss, gardening, cooking and budget ideas
http://mcmommethod.blogspot.com/
May 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bumping - anyone else have tips to add, or elaboration on anything mentioned above? If we can get some good info here I could request a sticky

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wckndte/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 9th, 2008, 08:14 AM
ahillo5
Thank this is very helpful. I've been ahving some supply issues lately. I"ll be trying alot fo these!!
May 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
ditto!! This has helped in increasing my supply...

I have also been drinking mothers milk tea 3 x per day and I am thinking of starting Fenugreek if I am still having problems at the end of this week.

Thanks Kara!!
May 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to mamma_2b_0408
Also, there is a recipe for some *delicious* lactation cookies on the April DDC forum. They're the yummy way to get your milk supply up! Kinda like oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chip all in one =P

May 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IBakeBoys08)</div>
Quote:
I had a girl in my Playroom post a recipe for Lactation cookies. I made them 2 days ago and I started noticing an increase in my supply as of last night. I was in the same boat you were, started back to work, and my supply plummeted. I would try these cookies, they actually taste REALLY good. Good luck!

~Lactation Cookies~

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
1 cup or more chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of brewers yeast (MUST be brewers yeast and be generous)

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F, Mix together Flaxseed meal and water, set side for 3-5 minutes. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla to the butter mixture, beat until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes
Yields 6 dozen cookies[/b]

</a>
July 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
*Vero*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Vero*
One thing that has REALLY helped boost my supply was to not stress about it!!

As soon as I gave my little one 1 bottle of formula and allowed myself to be ahead in supply by 1 bottle (and not have to pump when she is hungry and I'm stressing to get her fed) I was able to get soo much more
December 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
ShutterBabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IBakeBoys08)
Quote:
I had a girl in my Playroom post a recipe for Lactation cookies. I made them 2 days ago and I started noticing an increase in my supply as of last night. I was in the same boat you were, started back to work, and my supply plummeted. I would try these cookies, they actually taste REALLY good. Good luck!

~Lactation Cookies~

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
1 cup or more chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of brewers yeast (MUST be brewers yeast and be generous)

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F, Mix together Flaxseed meal and water, set side for 3-5 minutes. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Add flaxseed mixture and vanilla to the butter mixture, beat until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes
Yields 6 dozen cookies[/b]
[/b][/quote]

i'm going to have to try these.. Im not getting a lot when i pump

March 22nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
iTry's Avatar BFing, bed sharing, SAHM
Send a message via AIM to iTry Send a message via MSN to iTry Send a message via Yahoo to iTry Send a message via Skype™ to iTry
Ditto Vero's post! My supply was getting lower and lower until I realised there was nothing more I could do and I just had to accept I needed to give some formula. Now Toby is exclusively breastfed =D
July 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for all these suggestions. Any more suggestions will help me greatly. I am lurking from the march ddc. I plan to breastfeed and pump. I breastfed my DD until she was 7 months old when she self weened herself and when I was breastfeeding her I seemed to only have enough milk to feed her and hardley had any to pump unless it was the first thing in the morning and then I would only get about 4 ounces or a little more and I started having to supplement her with powdered formula when I had to leave her with a sitter or something and I dont want it to be like that this time because I think supplementing my daughter was what caused her to self ween herself at 7 months. I want to have enough milk stored up just incase I have to leave this baby with a sitter or something.

October 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
This is great! I am on motilium to help increase my milk production, but anything else that will help is a bonus. I don't feel that the motilium is helping any because I am still only getting 2oz combined each time I pump and he eats 6x a day (4oz/serving) so I am only getting half of what he needs. So as of now we are supplementing with Good Start, hopefully I will get more milk and be able to bottle feed BM full time (we are still trying to get him to latch onto the breast, not working out too well...but I am trying!)

Those cookies sound yummy!! I'll be making them for sure. Do you think the recipe will still turn out if I cut it in half?

Jen
January 17th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone tried alfalfa supplements with fenugreek???

I have read that alfalfa is a great milk increaser...
June 7th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Great info! I've also heard that eating Icecream will help.. (not sure how correct that is though)...

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

January 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to add something that I've recently tried that is called Mother's Lactation Tonic. It's made by Herb Pharm and has fenugreek in it along with other herbs to help promote supply. I've found it has worked better than the straight fenugreek capsules.

March 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
my cookies always turn out dry, but when my mom made them for me once hers were perfect. WHat am I doing wrong? I put them in the oven and they dont melt and rise like cookies should, they just cook in lumps. I use the peanut butter version, would that have anything to do with it?
March 8th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I dont know if this increases supply or not but when Im pumping at work I usually go back to first side a second time and often get like another half ounce out of it, going back again to the second side sometimes yields some milk, sometimes not. Also, I agree with the earlier posts about accepting the fact that you have to supplement, it is a huge relief not to fret about having a low supply. It didnt increase my supply but it was a relief just the same.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search