Choosing NOT to vaccinate mommas! (KRISTIN!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If Gianna is also bf'ed, I would worry even less. But yeah, definitely keep on top of when she gets those, and any other live virus vaxes too!
April 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
I have one question..Isnt there shots that they HAVE to have in order to get in school..Cause i know Ava was missing one and i had to get it before she could start..SO what then???

April 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
aBookasmommy
Im pretty sure you could get a waiver so that she doesnt have to HAVE it..but Im not 100%..not that I even know what that shot is..so Im really not much of a help
April 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
aBookasmommy
That really annoys me!! Their OUR children not the countrys to decide what they get and what they dont!! WERE THE PARENTS!!! AHHHH
April 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
There ARE exemptions that you can get for their vaccines in the U.S. ALL states have medical exemptions, but those are the hardest to obtain since you have to go through your doctor. MOST states have religious exemptions, and SOME (the lucky ones!) have philosophical exemptions. I think Melanie is the only one in this thread that can claim philosophical...NY, CT and NV don't have them. Neither do I.

Yes, you do have to have an exemption to send a child to public school. But not having the option of a philosophical exemption isn't the end of it. The ladies on the Choosing Not to Vaccinate board are better at answering that question if you ask, or I can tell you the option we've chosen...but I'd prefer to discuss that one via PM.

Ashley:

Quote:
"Unlike some countries, immunization is not mandatory in Canada; it cannot be made mandatory because of the Canadian Constitution. Only three provinces have legislation or regulations under their health-protection acts to require proof of immunization for school entrance. Ontario and New Brunswick require proof for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps, and rubella immunization. In Manitoba, only measles vaccination is covered. It must be emphasized that, in these three provinces, exceptions are permitted for medical or religious grounds and reasons of conscience; legislation and regulations must not be interpreted to imply compulsory immunization. "
Here's the form you would need to submit to opt out based on 'reasons of conscience': http://www.vran.org/docs/form-2.pdf

April 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laurie - I have exemptions for all my girls now. I get online and fill out a form, they send them to me, then I have to go get them notarized. I turned in my first one the other day. They wanted Kaeli to have the Tdap and the Meningococcal. Depending on your state, you are allowed to have religious, medical or conscience. We have the last one, but a lot of states don't offer that yet.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
April 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM
You're so lucky, Talia. ALL of the states SHOULD have philosophical exemptions!
April 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Ahhh...lovely, lovely Catholics.

But religion and CONSCIENCE are very different...
April 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Sure thing - I just sent it. Hope that works!

Going to get Milly's nap in (and maybe sneak one myself). Next up is DTAP, which will take me a little while, so I'll have to wait till Gene is home to watch the girls.
April 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Do you have Adobe Reader? It should open right up. Seems like with all the script blockers I have on my laptop, that if I can open it - anyone should be able to!

I'll see if I can find it somewhere else...
April 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Gray Sea
oh boy, kristin...you're wonderful. and i love your dedication!

i am showing hugo this post.

but right now i am on my way to work, with painful boobies, and a painful abdomen...great and lovely heh?

but...if avi's already gotten those shots (like hep b and dtap) she can discontinue it right?? yes, she got the darn hep b shots...i'm so stupid, and friggin ignorant. but it stops NOW.
April 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ashley - the only actual form I can find online is in .pdf format. But apparently you can ask for them from your doctor or most any health care organization - it's called the Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit - Form 2.

Gracie - YES, you can stop at ANY time - even if you're in the middle of a "series" of shots. Big deal. You'll most likely get a lecture from your doctor...or maybe even need to find a new one. The pediatric practice that we'd been seeing since Rachael was born refused to keep us on as patients if we didn't allow Milly to have ALL of her vaccinations, AND on time. I said "see ya!" Our new ped doesn't like it that we're not vaxing, and I usually get at least a mini-lecture from her - but not so much now that she's over a year old. For the first year, she would tell me, "you do realize that these vaccinations are intended to protect against the diseases that are most often FATAL in the first year, don't you?" Scare tactics. I hate them. But don't waste your breath arguing about it - you'll never be right. Just say "I'm informed" and move on.

You'll also have to sign the "bad mommy form" (vaccine waiver) that says that you waive the vaccines at this time, you understand you're putting your child and other children at risk, blah blah blah. Some moms get downright militant about these, and cross out parts and make edits...I'll have to find a few links from the CNTV board about that. I'm considering marking mine up next time too.

OH. And you do know that well-baby visits are NOT mandatory, right? Some moms feel better going in just for weight checks, but well...your scales at home work just fine too. We skipped Milly's 9-month and 15-month checks (so far, I'll take her in at 18 months and then each year around her birthday, maybe) just to avoid the lectures. YOU KNOW when there's something 'off' with your baby and when there isn't, so you can make that call for yourself. Mommy instinct is a wonderful thing.

Okay, gonna get started on DTAP...
April 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
wow I have never researched this stuff. Ciara has had all her shots up until the MMR, varicella and HepA. I just finished what series they started and was done with shots same with Allanah but she hasn't gone in yet. I never knew all this stuff. Thankfully they have done exceptionally well with their shots without any harsh side effects. Now I am kinda wishing I would of researched some more

April 4th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I haven't signed anything and don't plan to.

I don't mention it when I bring them to the doctor, they don't mention it to me... yet.
I only go in for sick visits. Natalie hasn't had a check up since her 1 year one. The other kids were seen in Aug 2007 when we moved here (when they had shots and a check up). Nothing since. Just a few sick visits.

April 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM
DTAP (Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) - recommended at 2, 4, 6, 15-18 months and 4-6 years

Okay, a quick rundown on each disease first. Diphtheria is a very severe bacterial throat infection in which breathing passages may become swollen, even to the point of closing. It is very uncommon; in recent decades there have been a maximum of 5 cases per year, but most of the time there are none at all. Diphtheria can be serious and can be fatal (in about 10% of cases, if not caught quickly enough) BUT it is treatable with antibiotics.

Tetanus is caused by bacteria found in soil, on rusty metal and contaminated needles. The bacteria attacks the nerves and can cause paralysis if left untreated. It too is uncommon - usually 50-100 cases per year in the U.S., and nearly ALL of those in adults (over 25). In kids under five, it's more like 1 case per year. Tetanus is much more serious in underdeveloped country, with less clean conditions. Tetanus can be serious (up to 15% fatality rate) but is treatable...sort of. Antibiotics help eliminate the germs, but the toxins do have to run their course. Again, prompt medical attention is important in the case of deep, dirty puncture wounds...but common sense tells us that anyway, no?

Pertussis is whooping cough - bacteria that infects the upper lungs. It's similar to diphtheria, but not as serious. Pertussis IS fairly common - the latest stats in my book are from 2004-5, 25,000 reported cases. It also says, though, that this one tends to peak about every five years and then decline again - the 25k was in a peak year (and remember, that's 25k in the entire country!) Pertussis is considered serious in babies six months and under, with about a 1% fatality rate among those (most of those in babies two months and younger - which aren't yet vaccinated against the disease anyway!) After six months, fatalities from pertussis are practically unheard of, so it's no longer considered a serious disease. Pertussis is treated with antibiotics, although it just kills the germs - the cough still has to run its course.

Controversial ingredients in DTaP: aluminum, formaldehyde, polysorbate 80, 2-phenoxyethanol, cow tissue extract.

Okay, DTaP is probably the *second* scariest of the vaccines...although they're all pretty darned scary IMO. There were a lot of severe reactions with the old DTP vaccine, although it has been reworked into DTaP (the a is for acellular = no live pertussis germ.) The rate of standard side effects is high with this one - about 15% - and serious side effects can include Guillain-Barre syndrome, brain damage, nerve dysfunction and encephalopathy (swelling of the brain). Lesser reported side effects include pain/swelling in lymph nodes, heart inflammation, extensive and serious swelling of injected limb, diabetes, seizures, bruising throughout body, bleeding disorders, poor circulation, severe allergic reaction and skin infections.

It's the chance of encephalopathy as a side effect that initially steered me away from this one - before I learned about all of the other reasons. Do a Google search of "DTaP scream" and you'll find a ton of accounts from moms who have experienced this...it's a high-pitched "in pain" scream that's not at all uncommon after the DTaP. I found this on one mom's blog:

Quote:
The scream is called cry-encephalitis. The cause is infection of the brain from the vaccine virus/bacteria.
When the body is injected with virus/bacteria it can travel to the brain and cause encephalitis.
Encephalitis can be a reaction to any vaccine but the DTaP is notorious for it.

Encephalitis without being vaccinated generally follows an illness.
When it happens due to an illness, the doctor will treat it in the correct way.

But when you call and give the exact same symptoms and the doctor knows the child has just been vaccinated, he will tell you it is a normal reaction to the vaccine and will simply say to give the child some tylenol.
It's so common that doctors don't even pay it any mind, but think...if your brain swells inside your head, it's going to HURT. And this happens so frequently to BABIES. There are even audio clips to be found online that'll clue you in as to just how horrible this scream is, but I wouldn't recommend listening. They'll break your heart.

Anyway. THAT is why we don't do DTaP. Diphtheria is practically unheard of, we're careful enough that I don't think tetanus is a huge threat right now, and I'm not *too* scared of pertussis - especially now. Being a SAHM and breastfeeding for that first year absolutely helped alleviate that fear as well.

Okay! That took forever because I had to break in the middle to give the girls a bath - they were helping Daddy wash my van. Next up is Hib, as soon as I get a chance.
April 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
That doesn't sound pleasant.

DH did say if any of the kids step on a nail or get a deep puncture wound he wants them to have the tetanus shot. I figured if he's letting me be against normal vaccines, I'd give him that. I'm hoping it would be JUST the tetanus shot though and not the combo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search