Choosing NOT to vaccinate mommas! (KRISTIN!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES, they do have a separate tetanus shot! I think they have a separate diphtheria shot too, but no separate pertussis...or maybe that's the other way around. But they definitely have a separate tetanus, just for those poor people that step on rusty nails.

Amber, it's never to late to learn. I hope you'll stick around and keep reading. I didn't know any better either - it just didn't occur to me to question them with Rachael. She was fully vaccinated up till the time she was three, and I regret every one of them. She has not had her five-year boosters...I'm researching what to do about those now.
April 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
I keep checking back here A LOT to see if you have added anything lol her 1 year check up is on the 15th. so i have plenty of time after seeing just what I have seen makes me just want to stop and not finish up their shots period. My ped said nothing about Ciara not getting the chicken pox or HepA vaccine and she was very understanding about the MMR after we told her my brother was autistic.

April 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
OK we are NOT doing any more shots after reading all this! I just want to cry thinking about all the crap that goes into the vaxs.

I thought we were doing better by doing a delayed/selected/spread out schedule but not after reading about the DTaP shot! GAH!!! I specifically asked the doc about doing any shots before we figured out what is wrong with Sammies head and she said it would be fine. Now I read about swelling of the brain and brain damamge!!! GAH!!!! I want to cry for letting them put that poison in my baby!
April 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Aww...see, this is the part I hate about sharing...is making everyone else feel bad about what's already done. Please remember that I've been there too, with Rachael, so I know. It stinks. I'm glad so many are interested in learning more, though!

I'm going to put Milly to bed in just a minute - and Gene is going to the movies tonight, so I'll have time to post more and maybe get some scrapbooking done too.

Amber, I'm SO glad you opted out of the MMR. If DTaP is the second scariest, then the MMR is at the TOP of my scary vax list. And chicken pox is at the top of my 'most unnecessary' list.
April 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type B ): recommended at 2, 4, 6 and 12-15 months.

I had NO clue what Hib WAS until I started doing vaccine research. I had at least heard of the rest of the diseases, but not this one. Hib basically bacteria that can cause meningitis (infection of the lining of the brain), blood and bone infections and pneumonia, and it's spread just like cold germs - through coughing (airborne) or contact with saliva/mucous. Pretty scary, huh? But the thing is - MOST of the time, it only causes normal cold symptoms and doesn't progress to the major stuff. MOST people have had Hib, probably multiple times, and had no clue - it usually goes undiagnosed. It's very common, but rarely problematic. The serious problems DO usually occur in children ages three and under, but the U.S. only reports around 25 cases per year. Hib meningitis has about a 5% mortality rate, although some brain damage occurs in about 25% of cases.

NOW. There's one big problem, as far as I see it. The Hib vaccine (supposedly) protects against meningitis caused by the Hib bacteria. BUT - that is NOT the only bacteria that causes meningitis. There are DOZENS of bacteria, viruses and germs that cause meningitis. In fact, viral meningitis is much, much more common than Hib meningitis - but there's no vaccine for that one.

So basically, it's a vaccine for one tiny variant of a disease that affects about 25 people per year, and by no means protects against ALL meningitis - although that's certainly how most literature about the vaccine makes you believe.

Controversial ingredient: aluminum

This is considered one of the "safest" vaccines - standard side effects in around 5% of babies, with the most severe report effects being Guillain-Barre syndrome and severe Hib infection.

Wait...severe Hib infection? Wasn't that what you just vaccinated for? Hmmm. Okay, remember how I said that the Hib germ is VERY common? Well, teensy little problem here. Again from The Vaccine Book (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Research shows that while the vaccine is beginning to work on the immune system, the immune system can't react to a natural Hib infection for a period of five days. An immunized infant is therefore susceptible to catching natural Hib for a few days while her immune system is "distracted" by the vaccine.
'Nuff said.

Up next: pneumococcal (Prevnar).

Last edited by ragmama; April 4th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
April 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
yeah chicken pox vaccine seemed pointless to me too seeing as how they still get chicken pox just not as bad don't make sense to me

do you know how it works in WI for shots and school Kristin?

April 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oh, there's even more to it than that, Amber. The chicken pox vax can make it WAY worse for them down the road. I'll get to that one soon.

Wisconsin DOES have a philosophical exemption option - all you'd have to do is fill out the form and submit it, no reasons necessary. Lucky you!
April 4th, 2009, 06:52 PM
The more I read the more I don't want to do the shots. But then I think, the Zantac I give Sammie has side effects, what about the Tylenol, or the Excedrine I took for my headache, or any other medicine I've taken without ever thinking twice about it. What about the Gentian Violet I used on myself and Audrey for 6 weeks until I researched and found out you should only use it for 3 days because it's been found to cause liver cancer in lab rats. I just sooooo don't trust pharmacutical companies or anyone for that matter in the medical field. But I also don't feel like I'm educated enough to be able to know what the best choice is. The more I learn the more confused I get. I wish I had a crystal ball so I knew how my choices were going to affect my kids in the future. I guess life would be too easy that way.
April 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Pneumococcal (Prevnar): recommended at 2, 4, 6 and 12-15 months.

Okay, I forgot this one...Hib wasn't the only one I had no clue about after all! Pneumococcal - what is that? It's a bacteria that causes several things - cold symptoms, ear infections, pneumonia, blood infections, meningitis. However, Prevnar is *largely* known as "the ear infection vaccine" since symptoms are most often contained to the ears, nose and throat.

No one really seems to know how often this morphs from minor symptoms into major ones, but it is documented most often in infants, toddlers and the elderly. Pneumococcus (Pc) IS common (not so much as cold and flu virus) and IS the most common cause of infant meningitis. Although mild cases aren't generally reported (diagnosis is invasive and usually doesn't happen unless someone is really ill), around 10,000 cases of more severe Pc are reported annually in the U.S. How serious it is depends on which system is affected - bloodstream infections are fatal about 20% of the time, meningitis about 30%. ALL Pc infections are treatable with antibiotics.

Controversial ingredient: aluminum

Interesting ingredient: Well, all vaxes have to have the basic component of that disease, in order to introduce it to the immune system and (hopefully) confer immunity. No one really knows where the Pc germ for this vax comes from, though - just that it's from infected patients from many years ago. Just a little "ew factor" there!

There is a high rate of side effects from this vaccine - about 20%, with about 15% of those being serious side effects. It has been particularly noted that seizures are more common after this vax than others (about 1 in 20,000 infants.)

As with other diseases, breastfeeding and not having your child in daycare greatly reduces her risk of contracting this one. And if you DO vaccinate, know which vaxes contain aluminum and try not to give more than one per visit - there is NO known safe amount of aluminum for humans, and you definitely don't want to double up!

Next: polio.

Last edited by ragmama; April 4th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
April 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I know, Melanie. It's definitely EASIER to just go with the flow and not ask the hard questions. Once you start questioning one thing, you tend to start questioning everything else too. It's awful to have that kind of responsibility on our shoulders and to KNOW that you can't trust "the experts" to make the decisions for you. I know that I'm never going to know enough, and I'm going to continue to make mistakes too...but I want to make sure that the good outweighs the bad in every decision I make for my girls. Zantac, to relieve acid reflux? Well, reflux can be more than just uncomfortable - it NEEDS to be dealt with. Toxins injected directly into the bloodstream to *maybe* provide partial immunity to something they may never get anyway? Not so much.

A crystal ball would be AWESOME. If you find one, let me know!
April 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Polio: recommended at 2, 4 and 6-18 months.

I'm going to keep this one short and sweet. Polio was a serious disease. WAS. And wasn't treatable. A lot of people were affected and lost their lives, or still live with the after effects, and it's horrible. However.

There has not been a SINGLE case of wild-virus (that is, caught FROM the virus) polio in the U.S. since 1985 - and then, it was brought into the country by a non-U.S. citizen. Before that, no wild-virus cases since 1979. NONE.

Okay, but wait...do you remember the Amish people who had polio just a few years ago, in 2005? Where did THEY get it? Answer: the vaccine.

The current polio vaccine contains inactivated polio virus (smart!), so at least THAT risk has been removed. Standard side effects are somewhat lower than in other vaccines, although Guillain-Barre syndrome is among them.

Controversial ingredients: baby cow blood serum, human albumin (blood proteins), glutamate, formaldehyde, 2-phenoxyethanol, monkey kidney cells.

Yeah, monkey kidney cells. That's actually how they start making this vax - combine calf blood serum with monkey kidney cells (to nourish the monkey cells), then remove the monkey cells and inject them with three strains of the polio virus, cultured from people infected with it decades ago. The polio virus multiplies in the monkey kidney cells, then formaldehyde and other preservatives are added. LOVELY, right?

SO. Consider the nasty ingredients, then add in the fact that the chance of your child (or anyone else) contracting polio are very nearly ZERO. Kind of made this one a no-brainer for me.

Next: MMR Might take me a bit to get that one together!

Last edited by ragmama; April 4th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.
April 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey awesome Kristin... can you please include the shots some of the older kids "need" to get and us TX people... like HPV, Meningococcal, Hep A.

Thank you!!! I love this easy to understand stuff!!

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
April 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yep. I'm going straight through the list, from birth up, and I'll cover them all...but it'll probably take me a few days to do it all. Plus links and books and and and...
April 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
You're the best!!!!

April 5th, 2009, 03:07 AM
aBookasmommy
This is soooo helpful thank you!
April 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Ok Gunna play devil's advocate for a second here.

There hasn't been a case of Polio since 1985 (or 2005) so everyone stops getting the polio vax. One day a plane full of polio ridden forigners come to visit New York city and bam everyone is exposed to Polio and gets it since they didn't get the vax. Polio is spread accross the country and there is a new epidemic. Right? Am I wrong?

I feel like it's safe to skip some of the vaxs when the disease isn't common AT THE MOMENT but if everyone stops vaxing will these diseases come back like they were in the past? I know there is some controversy about Polio anyway and other chemical exposure but generally speaking, if we ALL stop vaxing are we taking a step backwards in the health of our country?

This is where I'm torn. I think in theory vaxs are a great thing! They have probably saved millions of lives.....but at what expense?? Hurt a few to save alot? As long as it's not MY child! Right?? UGH! If they could only make them safe AND irradicate the disease at the same time!

Last edited by Mountain~Mama; April 5th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
April 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
Wow Melanie you totally posted everything on my mind!!!So from what i have read yeah alot of these things are not around anymore...But it also said that sooo many more people are doing vacs...So yeah there are some that dont..But if the whole world stopped...WHAT would happen??? I am so not against those that dont..I am just soooo confused...I was sooo worried last night thinking about it like crazy..Cause Nevaeh is 4 months today!!!So what do i do after reading all that???I kept telling myself not to read this cause the way i worry..i knew it would make me nervous...So now i just dont know what to do anymore...I could really use that crystal ball right about now!!!! I prayed so hard last night for an answer to tell me what to do best for my daughters....I am just sooo confused and i hate feeling helpless when it comes to the safety of my kids....I dont have much time to think about what to do..So i am gonna just leave it up to God and keep praying for an answer!!! Thanks Kristin for all that you are doing..I can really feel your passion towards this...

Also the bad over the good...Do we know how many cases getting vaccinated has safed..Over how many have come out bad from vacs..I mean does the bad really overweigh the good...Or is the bad just talked about alot more..I dont know if what i wrote made sense but in my head that is another burning question...Again the thing that is stuck in my head is if WE all stopped vacs WHAT would happen?????

Last edited by hopesNdreams; April 5th, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
April 5th, 2009, 06:20 AM
double post

April 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Isn't it kind of what happened with Small Pox? Wasn't it very common and a lot of people died or got disfigured. And then they came out with the vaccine and wiped it out. Has there been a case in many, many YEARS? They stopped vaccinating for it before I was born. I never had the vaccine for it. But, if I remember right, a few years ago, they got the vaccine ready in case "a plane full of people infected with small pox crashed here" to use Melanie's "what if".

So, if small pox is gone, but something happens and it comes back then we can all get the vaccine... right????

Wouldn't that happen if they stopped vaccinating for polio? If it came back, we could all get the vaccine?

April 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Okay so are we going to know when its back in time to get our kids vacs..Or is a whole bunch of people going to have to die first...Like if the vacs did its job and wiped it out does that mean we just stop something that did good and got rid of it...I really am not fighting you its just i am trying to understand...So i really hope that you dont get mad at me..cause you know that i listen to you all..That is why Vaeh is getting the good stuff right now..I dont want you to think that i am going against you all..I just have to do whats best for my girls...So i am in here for you to bring me to your side...Please dont be mad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search