Choosing NOT to vaccinate mommas! (KRISTIN!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Gray Sea
I neeeeeeeed your help!

Hugo and I have been talking...and we are deciding to NOT vaccinate Avi. Not completely NOT vaccinate...just some horrible shots! So we're choosing not to vaccinate some! I am so confused. I want to be more educated on this! I know Kristin you don't vaccinate...at all or just limited...so, please...may I? I'm so sorry, but you're just such a good advisor!! Because of your devoted post on my breastfeeding (continuing to do so after my pending surgery) now I really feel that I can do it. You gave me reassurance!!

Anyway...I want to thank you all for your support!
But I need help. I know that some shots are just horrible, and we want to with-hold those from Avi. Caliah got all her shots...luckily, she is fine. But watching the news, and the increase on Autism now a days...I don't want to risk my Avi.
She's already got all the friggin shots "required" (emphazise on my quotes) from birth till 9 months...she is "over-due" on her 12 month shots...and honestly...I been dreading it, and up until today...I didn't know Hugo was choosing to not vaccinate either!! Golly, the power of communication! But we don't know what we can do about it, especially when it is time for her school...

HELP!!
I don't want to go get her shots (if we choose to even get them now) and get forced into giving her all these shots!! I just always feel awful that they even give her 4-5 at a time!!

Seriously, I don't want to be ignorant!

I really just want to thank you now, for your time to reply to me.
Thank you.
You girls ALL of you girls are just excellent people. Thank you.
April 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome, Gracie!!! I'm glad you're looking into it. Kristin has helped me so much. She can explain it better than I can.

Natalie had all her shots up until she was 12 months old. When she reacted to the MMR (I think??), I started looking into it. That's when I saw the horror. At this point, I'm not doing any more shots. I will decide as they get older what I think they need. Like chicken pox... um... no. HPV - Heck NO. Meningitis - don't need right now... MAYBE before college. MMR - Not sure... won't give it to any babyies of mine again. Maybe when they're older. Prevnar - nope. DTAP is a maybe. I think that's the one that can't be split and the tetanus could be important at some point. Polio I'm still up in the air about.

Anyway, I figure I can always decide to give it to them later, but I can't take it back.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
April 3rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Gray Sea
see, i don't even know the names of shots!! that's how in the dark i am. i just never really thought anything of it. i was just always "taught" that the best for you baby was to vaccinate...but they don't even explain anything!!! i am so stupid, and so naive! don't say i am not. i know i am. no need to sugar coat it, but...i am here now, and i am READY to learn and do research. i just need help to get started, and i need support...i don't want them to tell me what to do...or them forcing the shots on avi...especially because we get them done at the county clinic...so...yyuppp..
April 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
3xamommy's Avatar BFing, CDing mom of 3
Yea Anna had a bad reaction to the MMR. There is no way in h....... I am going to give that one to Emily. Emily is technically behind on her vaccinations because I told her dr she was not giving my 2 and 4 month old 4 and 5 shots! We break them up and never do more than 2 at a time. And no MMR for us anymore! Thats the one that has started all the controversy about autism and vaccinations.

THANKS *AMBER* FOR MY AWESOME SIGGIE!!!!!!
April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Gracie - you are NOT stupid and naive... or if you are, we all are/were at some point. I guess I feel that way too... I was stupid for not researching what they were doing to my babies. I kept holding them down as the nurses would jam shot after shot in their little legs. I'd cry with them and tell them "it's for your own good". UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, I didn't know. They don't tell us.

But, now that you know, you can make an informed decision. I haven't learned a lot, just a little. Just enough to say no more right now.

Did you know here in TX that when they stick the baby's heel in the hospital to test for certain things, they are allowed to keep your baby's dna on file or even do research on it? That so isn't happening. There's all these emails flying around lately about it, I guess it's up for a vote. I don't know if it's just TX or if other states are doing it too. But, they certainly don't need my newborn's dna floating around out there.

April 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ohhh, Gracie - first of all, big big hugs to you. You're not stupid. I guess the technical term for choosing not to educate yourself is "ignorant", although it has a horrible context - I was *definitely* ignorant about vaccines for the longest time. I just thought...it's what the doctor says to do, so it must be okay, right? Now I wonder how I could have accepted them all (with Rachael) without questioning what they were injecting into her little body. She hasn't had a shot in two years and it still breaks my heart to think about all the ones that she DID have.

Amelia has not had a single shot, and it's *highly* unlikely that she'll have one anytime soon. And to contrast...Rachael has had several colds and upset stomachs over the winter. She is *generally* a healthy child. Aside from the mystery fever she had at two weeks, Amelia has had NOTHING. Okay, not nothing - she had a low-grade fever that lasted for about six hours. No other symptoms. That's it. She's as healthy as a little horse.

Choosing not to vaccinate - or to selectively or delay vaccinating - is a terrifying decision, because we're pummeled from every side with misinformation about the "benefits" of vaccinating. The dangers of these same vaccines is FAR less heard-of.

Let me think and try to come up with the bare minimum that you need to know...I don't want to overwhelm you. I also don't want to ramble, as it's 2:30 a.m. here and I need to go to bed.

Just don't do anything till I get back to you, okay? Like Talia said - you can always catch up on her shots later. But once the jab is done, there's no taking it back.
April 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Gray Sea
oh, we are in NO hurry! what i am so happy about, it that hugo is behind me! we are together...well, we always make decisions about the kids together, but the shots was one i was so afraid he'd be for!! but, noooo!!!! he said it freaks him out...he's been reading about it, but he doesn't understand quite how they will work...and how legal it is...and all that...but he really doesn't want avi to have shots!! caliah has had all the friggin shots filled out in her immunization record...luckily...she's doing well. i mean, we even got her the rsv shot...but, she was a preemie, and we *thought* we were doing what was best for her...so i hope we did make the right decisions with that shot...and she never used to get sick, until she started school...now, she comes home with a cold, like 4 times a school year...ugh!! but avi is doing well...she'll get her little fevers, due to teething...but i haven't noticed a major cold or flu!! my boobs rock! hehe.

anyway...thank you so much kristin, i could go on out there researching, but i like to ask my friends for their experience and knowledge because this is a very serious matter, and i don't want to be forced into something we are already iffy about...kwim? i mean, hugo! he is so with this! he is serious. it just makes me love him lots more. we're a team. always have been. he's awesome, and wonderful. <3

anyway.

thank you kristin, i will wait here for your reply. but, don't rush either! i'm not taking her to get her shots anytime soon...
April 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Gracie - thanks for asking about this. I will be interested to read what Kristin posts too. We are working with our doc on a spread out/delayed schedule for our girls. I think you are VERY smart for questioning what is right for Avi!
April 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
That is WONDERFUL that Hugo is on board too! It's always helpful when the dad is interested in learning too. I was so worried that Gene was going to be pro-vax - and he was, at first. He agreed with spreading them out and delaying some for Milly, but he told me straight out that he did want her to have SOME of them...until I started reading bits to him about why I didn't want them, or why they didn't make sense, and he agreed.

Going to turn on a show for Rachael and I'll be right back to start wading through questions.
April 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
aBookasmommy
Ohhh this is one post I am definitely going to be coming back too!! I am delaying all vaxs until Kennedi is AT LEAST a year old..maybe even 2. And then after that I am picking and choosing which ones she will get. I think its crazy what they inject into BABIES!! It makes me sooo mad. I have fights with everyone in my family about this subject, esp my mom. She says "docs know best so I should just do what they have to say!" UHHH its my child I cant just "do what they say"!!
April 4th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Smart girl, Nikki! Doctors are people, and ALL people are fallible. Unfortunately, doctors only learn one side of the story in med school - and that's pro-vax. Know why? Money, baby. The vax manufacturers throw money around like crazy. It's disgusting.

Okay, I'm going to dig up a few links and start post one in the why-I-don't-vax series.
April 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
aBookasmommy
Thank you so much!!
April 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Okay, I'm just going to start at the beginning and go through the vax series, since Nikki is reading too and might want to hear about the shots recommended in the first year too.

Also...I am ONLY going to tell you the ANTI-vax side of each one - as it's already been crammed down your throat why your child *should* get them. Yes, I'm biased, but you asked for the bias. I am NOT implying that the vaccine can't or has never done any good anywhere - just telling you what's wrong with them, the things that I didn't know before I started researching. 'Kay? And feel free to ask questions along the way - if I don't know the answer, I'll be glad to FIND it for you.

Hepatitis B - recommended at birth and @ 2 months and 6 months.

Hep B is a sexually transmitted disease. It is contracted through intercourse and sharing contaminated needles (including tattoos and IVs). Is your baby going to participating in any of these activities? Nope, mine neither. Doesn't make a lot of sense to stick an innocent newborn for it then, does it? Hep B is extremely rare in infants in children - and in nearly ALL of those instances, it was contracted during birth from a Hep B positive mother. So, if you don't have it - chances are excellent that your baby won't get it either. (However - Hep B is very serious and untreatable, so if you DO have it - then definitely consider the vaccine as the good would likely outweigh the bad in that instance.)

Controversial ingredients in this one include aluminum (250 micrograms), trace amounts of formaldehyde (toxin), residual mercury in Engerix-B brand (not in Recombivax HB.)

Quoted from The Vaccine Book by Robert W. Sears, MD: "The standard side effects occur more frequently with the hep B vaccine than with many of the other shots. About 10 to 15 percent of people experience flu-like symptoms (fever, fatigue, weakness, irritability, headache, dizziness, diarrhea and poor appetite.)" Remember that this is being given to newborns - who have just been through quite an ordeal already! And hospital staff put a huge emphasis on feeding in that first day - I wonder how many babies have had formula pushed on them because they weren't interested in nursing, because of the 'poor appetite' side effect?

Anyway. Other reported reactions to this one have included severe/life-threatening allergic reactions, severe rash, heart palpitations, minor liver damage, bleeding disorders, visual problems, hair loss, arthritis, lupus, migraines, nerve dysfunction, Guilllain-Barre syndrome, seizures and multiple sclerosis.

Coming up next: rotavirus.
April 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Awesome Kristin. Maybe I'll learn something!!!! or be able to remember something!!

April 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
I shouldn't be in here...I am soooo confused and scared about this all!!!! I am so torn on this but dont know how to decide..I hear all the good and then i hear what you are all saying..But how do i pick one...Oh gosh i dont know why i even came in here...It makes me scared and worried to read all this but at the same time i don't know how to not do it..The one thing that i got out of this that i am going to do for sure is not get them all at once..Like 3-4 at a time is crazy..I will space them out if I decide to still do them after this...I am READING now..I know one thing for sure everytime they have given my girls there shots i felt so bad to be holding there little legs down for it...But like Talia i always thought it was for there own good..Which is all i want for my girls!!!! But this was all i knew was that they needed them...THis is some scary ****tt....

April 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
aBookasmommy
Its definitely scary but something we definitely have to look into! These are our baby girls!!
April 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Rotavirus - recommended at 2, 4 and 6 months.

Okay, personal story here first. Rachael caught rotavirus at 26 months. It was horrible - we ended up in the ER with her in the middle of the night (where her diaper exploded all over DH - THAT part was hilarious! ) and had to hold her down while they put an IV in her arm to protect from dehydration. They admitted her to the hospital and kept her there for five days, until she could keep solid food and liquid down again. It was miserable, my baby was miserable. So you can imagine how excited I was, just a few months later, when I read about a brand new vaccine against...rotavirus! YES! I was never going to go through THAT again with another child!

But Milly did NOT have the rotavirus vax. And here's why.

To begin with, the rotavirus vax wasn't NEW. There had already been one on the market (RotaShield) that was removed because of the risk of intussusception - bowel obstruction. At least one death due to obstruction was reported, in a child who had recently been given this vaccine (I can't find the exact info right now, but I'm thinking it was more than one child.) So, they reworked the vaccine and released RotaTeq in 2006.

For those of you lucky enough to have NOT experienced rotavirus - plain and simple, it's vomiting and diarrhea. A LOT of it. It's nasty. It's not treatable per se, and it CAN become serious due to the threat of dehydration. It's really hard for the little ones to keep food/liquid down - like it was for Rachael. But in the U.S., it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare for rotavirus to become fatal. Ours was definitely the worst case scenario - a hospital stay with IV fluids. Milder cases can easily be treated at home with rest and lots and lots and LOTS of fluids.

Controversial ingredients: five virus strains (live and whole), traces of fetal cow blood, monkey kidney cells, polysorbate 80.

MOST babies who receive this vax experience at least mild symptoms of rotavirus, since the live viruses in the vaccine are *supposed* to cause a mild intestinal infection. (Raise your hand who wants a two-month-old with diarrhea!) Seizures have been reported, as well as "standard side effects" (listed in the Hep B post, and these will be referred to in all of my vax posts!) Doctors should also be on the lookout for cases of intussusception, since the previous vax was known to cause it.

Infants who are breastfed and do not attend day care have a very low risk of catching rotavirus during their first year, when it is most risky. Consider more closely if you'll be formula-feeding or if your baby will be in daycare with other children. Also, buy and USE a shopping cart/high chair seat cover! Our pediatrician asked me when Rachael was admitted to the hospital if we'd been to Wal-Mart lately, and said that in nearly every case of rotavirus she sees, they've been to Wal-Mart within the past two days. Apparently those carts are just plain *nasty*. I still use a seat cover everywhere we go with Milly - you can find really cute ones on Etsy for around $20, and that's waaaaaay cheaper than doctor bills and Pedialyte you'd need with rotavirus. More pleasant to deal with, too.

Milly needs me, so I'll be back with more later!
April 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
aBookasmommy
I was already getting a cart cover but now its TOP of my list!!! Kennedi will be watched by my bestfriend who when I go back to work will have a 4 month old. Do you think I should give that one to her? Although I really really *really* dont want her to have ANY until she at least a year old..but I dont want her to go around Gianna (bestfriends little girl) if she could catch something like that from her! I know Gianna will be getting all her vaxs..
April 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I know...it's scary to think about these things. It goes against what our doctors usually tell us, and that's hard. But it's even scarier to think of all the parents who bury their heads in the sand and won't admit that there *is* another side, and refuse to learn about it.

Nikki, will you be breastfeeding? If so, I probably wouldn't worry too much about her being around just ONE other child. If it were more than one, then maybe. However...any vaccine that includes a live virus can shed, and rotavirus is notorious for shedding into the vaccinated child's feces. So if there is ANY way possible, make arrangements to have someone else watch Kennedi for the day or two after the other baby receives EACH of her rotavirus vaxes. If your friend changed her DD, then handled yours without washing her hands (not that she would, but you know...life is crazy with two little ones around), then there would definitely be an increased chance of passing it on to Kennedi.
April 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
aBookasmommy
Thanks for the advice Im definitely going to have to keep on what Gianna gets and when!! I will most definitely be breastfeeding!! Gianna will be breastfeed as well..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search