Breastfeeding Help

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Gray Sea
yay! breastfeeding will not feel anything remotely to what you may *think* it will feel like. however, it will be very painful, due to extreme soreness the first week or so. DON'T LET IT DISCOURAGE YOU, i promise, it goes away!!
your boobs will double their size, maybe even triple. but that won't last not even a year. or
i never really used nipple cream, but i hear lasinoh is good. i also only wore breast pads like for the first 4-5 months...and i really preferred the gerber kind. lasinoh's pads were too rough and stiff for my tender nipples. but once i started back at work, my milk decreased, so only a bra was good for me. i no longer leaked.

try to have at least 3 nursing bras. one to wear, a back up, and a back up of the back up in case you go out, or you need a spare that's clean.

DON'T LET PUBLIC PLACES INTIMIDATE YOUR BREASTFEEDING LENA! make sure you have your blanket cover, and feed her anywhere comfortable. lots of places now provide nursing rooms, use it! if there isn't a nursing room, and you don't want to nurse her in a bathroom...your car should be ok, but make sure you don't over heat in there...i actually still nurse in public...like i'll just sit in a far away empty corner, whip out my blankie, and just nurse avi.

MAKE SURE YOU DRINK WATER!!! and more than just lots! remember, you have to stay hydrated for YOURSELF, your milk, and for lena! water is your bff!!

no caffeine. no drugs!! (like over the counter, i know you're no junkie!) unless you are sure it is a safe bf'ing drug. ibuprofen, and tylenol are both safe.

when you shower, don't wash your boobs with soap. just let the water run down them, that's good enough to get them cleaned. soap will actually irritate your nipples.

if you get a clugged milk duct, (it will hurt like hell from your armpit to the bottom of your boob) use a nice hot shower and massage massage massage that area! and steamed wash cloths help too. also, pump right after.

that's all i got for now.
and i hope you breastfeed till at least a year, if you make it less, just remember...YOU TRIED. YOU GAVE IT YOUR ALL...and no matter how you feed lena, you love her just the same as you do wyatt.

kisses!
-gracie

oh, also...don't let people tell you breastfeeding is bad!
also, remember...when you go out, you don't need a bottle!! you have YOU!! so that's a convenience plus!! anyway. don't let people discourage you from breastfeeding. you are giving your baby a healthy start in life! be proud of that!!
breastfeeding is not a chore, it's not a drag, it's not unnatural, and it is an art.

Last edited by Gray Sea; April 19th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
April 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... what do you need to know...
The first week is hard. Trying to learn how to do it was difficult at times. Breastfeed as soon as possible after giving birth!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is VERY important to your milk production. Definitely within the first hour, but if you can within the first 20 minutes is best!!!! Newborn babies get sleepy and can/will sleep for hours and almost be too lazy to do the work and then your milk takes longer and the doctors will insist on bottle feeding. REFUSE to do that. Keep putting her to your breast.

Yes, it will be painful. You can get through it. Once that first week is over, it's SO much easier.

When your milk comes in, you will feel huge, and leak. It's okay. The breast pads will help. Keep one side covered when you feed otherwise the milk will shoot across the room or soak your shirt. I liked the cloth pads the best. The disposible "stuck" to my nipple and it annoyed me. The cloth ones, just like cloth diapers, can be tossed in the wash. KEEP the breast pads handy for at least 4 months.

Definitely get about 3 bras. You may need to wear one at night. I hated that. Sometimes I didn't, I would however put a soft towel under me at night. Helped soak up the milk that leaked and I would nurse them in bed and they'd fall asleep... so if they spit up... on the towel it went

The blanket to cover up is okay. I have one. I used it... maybe once or twice? Too much fuss and when they get older they play with the blanket. So, I just use nursing shirts and feed my baby. I will shoot back a dirty look if given one and nowadays if someone said "OMG you're bf in public??" I'd say... "better than feeding them poison".

It's so easy cuz there are no bottles to get ready... ever! If you do pump and let someone else feed her, all you have to do is put the baggie in hot water.

I have the Lansinoh. Works great!

Drink water. My grandma swears by soup, says it's helps your milk supply. If you think you are low, get Fenugreek, it works wonders.

I never changed my diet. Nothing seemed to bother my babies. I love chocolate and continued to eat it through pregnancy and breastfeeding. I'm not a big soda drinker, so the occassional one was okay.

Also, when I showered, I washed my breasts/nipples Never seemed to bother them.

If they start hurting, it could be thrush, a blocked duct or mastitis. They can all be handled... warm compresses, massages, sometimes antibiotics are needed, but always keep breastfeeding!!!

Don't let anyone make fun of you. YOU are awesome for doing this for your daughter!! The bond you will make with her will be amazing!!! Do it as long as you can. Kaeli bf for 2 years, Kass was 18 months, Jaedyn and Natalie about 15 months. I miss it!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and we're here for you!

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
April 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not much to add to the list, but I'm better with specific issues anyway. One thing I will add is that everyone experience is unique. I never needed breast pads - never. Not even when my milk first came in and I actually had boobs for a change. I've leaked *noticeably* maybe five times in a combined three years and four months of breastfeeding now - and always when it had been too long between feedings. Don't panic (like I did!) if you DON'T need the pads after all.

In fact, don't panic about ANYTHING. Yes, it feels scarily unnatural at first. Yes, the first week (or two, I try to tell new moms two weeks to be on the safe side) pretty much suck until you and baby both get the hang of it. And then...it is smoooooth sailing.

Also...I wouldn't pump at first. Again, not for the first couple of weeks. The pump will never be as efficient as your baby at removing the milk - and remember, it's all about supply and demand. So many moms pump to help increase their supply, and they're actually doing the opposite. If you must pump, do it *after* a feeding...

OH! Biggest ditto on nursing ASAP after delivery and NOT giving in to the suggestions that they give her even "just a little" formula. Sucking from a bottle is so much easier than from the breast, and yeah, babies can be lazy like the rest of us and prefer the bottle instead. Also don't get freaked out if she's lost weight before you come home - even if the nurses say it's "too much" (unless YOU feel that it's just a ridiculous amount) and demand that you come back for weight checks. Breastfed babies WILL lose more weight than formula-fed babies in the days after delivery - because colostrum doesn't have as many calories as formula. Perfectly normal, but they're gonna try to freak you out anyway. You'll both be fine.

I'm sure I'll think of more to add, so I'll be back.
April 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Gray Sea
yes! i ditto kristin about the pumping AFTERWARDS! i did that with avi so i could stock up my milk for freezing...now i only just pump at morning and at night to keep it going....
April 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Gray Sea
omg i had a total "gracie-moment" i read that whole "been using pads since 12...." i was like, she's been pregnant since she was 12? no, wait a minute, she's been using NIPPLE pads since she was 12? wow"

ya...it's gracie alright.
April 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I am so happy that you are going to bf Selena!

Just remember that the first couple weeks can be tough but it will get easier. I promise! There are no bfing problems that can't be fixed!

My suggestions:

BF asap after Selena is born! If your hospital has a Lactation Consultant, take full advantage of her services. Let her check Selena's latch, ask all the questions you have and take any info she has for you. Also check and see if she offers follow up services and bfing support groups.

Don't try to follow a schedule. If Selena is hungry feed her, even if you just fed her a short time ago. BM is very easy to digest so she will probably want to eat more often. Don't think this is a sign you don't make enough milk. Babies will go through growth spurts at 3 weeks 6 weeks 3 months and 6 months. Your baby will eat and eat and eat during these times! Don't panic, the more she eats the more milk your body will produce to keep up with her needs. It is also common for babies to cluster feed in the evenings. Again, don't worry! This is normal, just follow her ques. If she acts hungry, feed her. She will let you know what she needs!! Trust in your body and your baby!!

DON'T give her a bottle or a pacifer for AT LEAST 4 to 6 weeks. Not everyone agrees with this but let me tell you from expierence that you do NOT want her to have nipple confusion. Audrey was a very sleepy baby and we were scared into giving her some formula in a bottle in the hospital and it took me 5 weeks to get her back on the breast. It totally distroyed my confidance in my ability to bf and caused some major depression for me.

Are you planning on going back to work? If you are going to be a stay at home mom, I don't see the need to pump. Remember, milk production works on supply and demand. If you demand milk for bfing Selena AND pumping you will need to keep up with that routine or you will become engored which can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis. Now, if you only want enough milk to say, go out for the evening then I would pump a few times in the days before your night out.

I totally reccommend co-sleeping. You will get so much more sleep this way. There is no need to get out of bed to feed Selena, just roll over, pop out a boob and your done!! But you need to do what feels right for you. If you want more info on co-sleeping the Attachment Parenting board can help you learn how to do it safely.

Make sure you have support! We are here for you but it helps to have someone in real life that supports you even if they can't help with problems, they can encourage you when you are feeling down.

Don't be afraid to Nurse in Public (NIP) but you need to do what's comfortable for you. PLEASE don't ever BF in a bathroom! YUCK!!!!! That is one thing that I feel is degrading to every bfing mother and baby. No one deserves to eat in a bathroom. I'd much rather see you go out to your car or find a quiet corner or wear a cover than to bf where people poop!!! LOL Just my opinion though!!

kellymom.com can answer ANY bfing question you have!

I know you will be successful and I can't wait to help you celebrate your bfing milestones!!

Last edited by Mountain~Mama; April 20th, 2009 at 06:37 AM.
April 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
There are safe antibiotics you can take. If you do need to take them make sure you take some PRObiotics too to avoid thrush!
April 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Again, our situation is different, but I had to reply here!

Ava was on a special diet of similac (doubled), simply thick and rice. The reason is b/c she needs extra calories and a middle consistantcy. But I faithfully pumped and added breastmilk to her bottles for over 9 months. Usually 1-2 ounces per bottle. Not the best situation, but we made it work.

Her pulmonologist even told me that by getting my antibodies, I prevented serious illnesses that would have ended with an emergent tracheotomy. Now, I know we'll never know for sure, but I do know that we've been very lucky that Ava hasn't had as many illnesses as we expected.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 20th, 2009 at 11:33 AM.
April 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
That's awesome that you were so dedicated to keep pumping for 9 months to give Ava your precious bm! You deserve a medal for pumping for that long!!!
April 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome Hope!!!

And to your family, Ashley. It's great that they are supportive. All the time I have gotten masititis, I had to get antibiotics. And my babies are just fine.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
April 21st, 2009, 06:11 PM
aBookasmommy
Ohhhh thank you Ashley, Ive totally been reading EVERYTHING. I plan on breastfeeding, actually have my heart set on it! I cant wait, and really look forward to it. Thank you for all the awesome advice!! I know I will be coming back to this thread in about 4 monthish!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search