MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) Vaccine

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor or expert, etc. I'm just sharing what I've found during my personal research into this particular vaccine. I strongly encourage every mom to read as much as she can before making the decision on this or any vaccinations. Okay, we ready?

Measles is highly contagious and was one of the most common childhood diseases until the late 70s. The virus is spread through the air when infected people sneeze, cough and talk. Measles aren't common in people younger than six months or in adults over age 20. Measles is very uncommon in the U.S. today (about 50-100 cases each year); however, the vast majority of cases are in people who have been immunized. (In all fairness, this could be due to the large percentage of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.)

Symptoms: hacking cough, fatigue, sore throat, runny nose, conjunctivitis (redness in/around eyes). Often very red in back of throat and yellow coating of tongue and tonsils. About four days later, a red, bumpy rash begins to appear, usually on neck and face first, spreading to trunk, arms and legs over next few days. A person is contagious about four days before and up to six days after the symptoms first appear. Measles is usually not serious, passing in a week or so without any trouble - approximately 1 in 1000 cases are fatal (if there were 100 cases in the U.S. each year, this would be one death, nationwide, every ten years.) Serious complications are very rare.

Treatment includes controlling fever with acetaminophen and baths, use of a humidifier (do not suppress the cough), lots of fluids, and a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

If a pregnant woman gets measles - can create risk of premature birth, low birth weight and infant death. There is evidence that women who receive the MMR vaccine before or during pregnancy, or after giving birth while breastfeeding, have a higher chance of having a child with autism or other neurological and behavioral problems.

Mumps is also viral and spread through the air, but is not as contagious as measles. Most common in children aged 5 to 19. Rarely, in can infect internal organs. It is uncommon - about 250 cases per year in the U.S. - and is usually not serious in children. It is more serious for teenagers and adults.

Symptoms: inflammations in various parts of the body - most often the salivary glands in the mouth, causing the appearance of puffy cheeks. Also causes fever and fatigue.

Treatment includes acetaminophen for fever and pain, ice or heat in swollen areas and saltwater gargles for the throat.

Rubella (German measles) is also viral and airborne. Most people with rubella are asymptomatic (have no symptoms), but are still contagious. Rubella is generally a very mild disease, but can be very damaging or fatal for a pregnant woman's baby during the first trimester - only somewhat risky during the second trimester, and no risk during the third. Rubella was once a common childhood disease but, since the introduction of the vaccine, is now found more often in people in their 20s and 30s; it is still very uncommon.

Symptoms: usually none. IF any, children usually have a rash while teens/adults have symptoms of a common cold, swollen glands and then a rash. Arthritis is also common among adult women with rubella.

According to the CDC, adverse reactions to the MMR vaccine usually occur 7-12 days after receiving the shot and are less likely after the second dose. They may include: fever (1 in 6), mild rash (1 in 20), swollen glands (rare), seizure caused by fever (1 in 3000), temporary joint pain/stiffness (1 in 4), temporary low platelet count (1 in 30000). The most severe (and more uncommon) reactions are difficulty breathing, hives, weakness, paleness, fast heartbeat, dizziness, wheezing, hoarseness, long-term seizures, coma, reduced consciousness, permanent brain damage and deafness.

The National Vaccine Information Center has also received reports of the following reactions: stinging/burning at injection site, sore throat, cough, headache, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, ear infections, conjunctivitis, retinitis, arthritis, Guillain-Barre syndrome (progressive muscle weakness), encephalopathy (degenerative brain disease).

The biggest fear of the MMR lies in many, many parents' assertations that their children rapidly became unresponsive immediately following this vaccine, leading to a diagnosis of autism. Most experts deny a link between the two, but at least two recent studies have found that the two could be related. (Point to consider: the incidence of autism is now as many as 1 in 300 children, as opposed to 1 in 10,000 in 1978 - before widespread use of the MMR vaccine.) Many parents and some experts believe that autisum is a genetic condition, but that the MMR vaccine may serve as a "trigger" that sets the wheel in motion (as in the case of Hannah Poling: The Case of Hannah Poling : Autism Vox - Autism from the Parents’ Perspective - Life With an Autistic Child ) You won't have any trouble finding information about the MMR/autism correlation online with a quick Google search. Also, Jenny McCarthy, whose son was diagnosed with autism after his vaccinations, is a huge proponent of "greening our vaccines", and her site may be worth a visit: Jenny McCarthy's Autism Organization - Generation Rescue

MMR is a live-virus vaccine and isn't given until age one because of this - it needs a more mature system to be able to recognize the viruses. A booster is usually given around age five. (If you wait beyond age four, only one shot is needed.)

There is no great evidence that the measles portion of the vaccine is highly effective - in fact, several different strains of 'wild measles virus' shows that the virus has mutated because of the vaccine. If the virus is going to keep mutating, but we keep using the same vaccine - the measles we'll be exposed to aren't what we're supposedly being protected against anyway. Some experts have also voiced concerns that the measles vax suppresses the immune system and can make us more vulnerable to other infections.

Interesting fact: the mumps vaccine was first developed to protect adult males, as mumps comes with the possibility (however low) of sterility. Giving the vaccine to girls only reduces the chance that they will expose males to the virus.

The rubella vaccine is pushed on children only to keep them from infecting pregnant women, the only demographic to whom the disease is truly damaging. However, it puts the child at risk of arthritis, autism and behavioral disorders. Experts have noted that, when not vaccinated and allowed to contract the disease naturally, at least 80% of the population will be immune by adulthood - the time when they are most likely to spread the virus anyway. Only 20% of the adult population would need the vaccine, rather than ALL of our children.

Direct quote from What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations: "The live rubella vaccine is grown in a culture of human cells taken from a fetus aborted in 1964 after the mother got rubella." As for the other components...measles and mumps viruses are grown for years in a culture of chicken embryo cells. All three are contained in a solution of saline, amino acids, vitamins, serum from a cow fetus, sugar, gelatin, neomycin (an antibiotic), and human albumin (a protein filtered out of donated human blood).

If you have a family history of autoimmune disorders (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis), be sure to consider this vaccine long and hard, as many of the adverse reactions involve the immune system.

SOURCES

The Vaccine Book by Robert W. Sears, M.D., F.A.A.P.

Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide (How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits and Alternatives) by Aviva Jill Romm

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave, M.D., F.A.A.F.P.
July 3rd, 2009, 02:00 AM
Gray Sea
hmm...when i had avi...i was given a shot. the day i was released from the hospital. i cannot remember clearly which shot it was, or why i even said yes...but, i am annoyed that i did, and that they did.
i wanna say it was rubella...so if it was, does that mean it was the mmr???? also, how in the heck would they know what shot i am missing? according to my shot records, i've had them all...but the nurse said something about me needing it, required by the nevada law?? geez! i shouldn't even be writing this until i have my facts straight, but i am now enraged!! either way, this shot is not coming near avi! cali obviously had it, but she is fine. thankfully. but i don't want to jeopardize my child's life now that i am aware. if anything, we can wait till she's 4 right?

plus, if it was the mmr....i hope it didn't affect my avi because she's breastfed. i read in the post (this one) that it can be transmitted through breastmilk! gah!!!!!!!!!
if i could say ***** hospitals on this board i would! i will have to go look through my hospital release documents now..but it is 2 am and i am on my way to bed...but i will find out the truth soon.

i know how you are anti hospital births kristin, and maybe even more so by learning of my shot...but, i had NO CHOICE! avi was a preemie, and required being born in a hospital...i hope you don't think i am a stupid person for letting them give me that shot...i know i am. but, what can i do now? kick myself in the arse, already am doing that. i am enraged i tell you. why did i say yes?!! ugh!!!
July 3rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Gray Sea
its not like i knew you can say NO TO SHOTS...

now i do! now i do. now i do. avi hasn't had a shot since she was 9 months old. and for that, i want to thank you. thank you thank you thank you. whenever we decide to give her shots, if and when we do...i will be better informed...but mmr is never ever coming near my child.
July 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you, Kristin. I see no point in getting ANOTHER MMR shot for myself or again to the kids. Unfortunately, all the kids had 1 or 2. This is the shot that Natalie reacted to... although it was small (red, swollen, sore leg, fever, screaming). I thank God that it didn't go further and she's still my sweet little girl in her terrible twos

I had no idea about the auto-immune stuff. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and with my... whatever it is... who knows what could happen.

Next week I'll be out of my 1st trimester, so I can relax more about being exposed.

Thank you for the information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
July 3rd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Oh Gracie! I do NOT think any less of you for having your babies in a hospital, getting shots for yourself or for them...anything. If you don't KNOW better, you can't DO better. That's why I had Rachael in a hospital, induced with an epidural, and why she had all of her primary series of vaccines. It didn't occur to me to research otherwise - that was just the way things were done, I didn't know there WAS an alternative. But I'm thankful I learned, and happy to share what I've learned with others. (((hugs)))

As for the shot you got...do check your records. I think there IS a rubella-only vaccine, but it's not as commonly used as the MMR. I think singular vaccines usually have to be requested.

Talia, the whole autoimmune history scares me about this one too. Gene's mom passed away from complications of lupus. I know it's usually spread from mother to daughter, but NO ONE can tell me if it will pass from mother to son on to HIS daughters. I hate that I didn't know this when Rachael was tiny...she never would have gotten this shot. Milly WILL never get this shot. Between the family history and the autism link...proven or not, I believe the scores of parents who have SEEN their children just fade away after this vaccine over the "experts" who are sometimes paid by the pharmaceutical companies to sell their vaccines. This one is at the top of my "no freaking way" list.
August 11th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
My brother is severly autistic and my mom 100% believes it was the MMR shot. He was starting to talk got this shot and that was the end of that. He is almost 18 yrs old he says car and mama that is it. He goes in the toilet when he wants otherwise he wears depends all day. Knowing my brother has autism is why neither of my girls are getting this shot EVER

August 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I'm sorry, Amber. Pro-vax doctors will swear till they're blue in the face that there is NO correlation between autism and the MMR vaccine, but I've read so, so many accounts from parents and family members that are SO similar. That their child was developing right on target and all of a sudden, they got their shots and just...slipped away, personality-wise. I can't imagine. It would be almost like losing your child.

I've also read (slightly more open-minded) accounts saying that the MMR vaccine does not CAUSE autism - that autism is completely genetic, BUT that the MMR *can* trigger it.

Whatever the case - whether the shot causes it or triggers it - it's not a chance I'm willing to take with Amelia. I feel like I dodged a bullet with Rachael, because I never thought to question it with her. She was obviously fine, and Milly PROBABLY would be too...but it's not a chance I'm comfortable with, now that I know the risk involved.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search