Swine Flu Vaccine ** updated in #21 **

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DISCLAIMER: As with any of my vaccine posts in this forum, the information here is what *I* have researched and found from sources that I believe to be reliable. I am sharing MY reasons for not vaccinating MY children with the intent of providing information that you will likely not hear from mainstream doctors and media. Ultimately, the decision to vaccinate or not vaccination your child is solely up to YOU, and I hope it's a decision that no one will take lightly.

Thought I'd touch on this one since I've been getting emails about it left and right and it's heavily on my mind this morning. Most of you have probably heard that the government is expecting a "swine flu pandemic" this fall, there have been discussions of mass vaccinations (some of them occurring in schools) and maybe denying people the right to refuse them.

The vaccine should be completed in October. Now stop and think: how much time does this leave them for clinical trials? How will they know what the long-term effects will be? You're right - they won't have a clue.

It will be VERY hard for them to make this vaccine mandatory, as there just won't be enough doses of it at first. They'll very likely take all the volunteers first - hopefully there will be enough of those to use up whatever doses they have, and they won't start stalking the ones who haven't received it yet. But if they DO...

I received one particularly disturbing article this morning about the recent decision to have the military and FEMA assisting the government through the pandemic.

Military to Deploy on U.S. Soil to "Assist" with Pandemic Outbreak by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

(There was a question by a reader at the end of that article saying that she couldn't find a news article online confirming that the military would be involved. I DID - a quick search through CNN came up with this: Military To Work With FEMA During Swine Flu Pandemic )

Okay, so what's the big deal? Why not just go ahead and get the vaccine? Well, there's always the fact that it hasn't been adequately tested. That it does contain preservatives, including thimerosal (mercury). And then there's the swine flu scare back in 1976. Now, I wasn't alive then, and a lot of us here weren't either - but here's what happened. A 19-year-old soldier at Fort Dix got the swine flu, and died. The government PANICKED and started whipping up a vaccine. People were vaccinated en masse. Wait wait wait, though, don't take my word for it - let the LA Times tell you:

Quote:
“More than 500 people are thought to have developed Guillain-Barre syndrome after receiving the vaccine; 25 died. No one completely understands the causes of Guillain-Barre, but the condition can develop after a bout with infection or following surgery or vaccination. The federal government paid millions in damages to people or their families," the LA Times reported.
Guess how many other people died from the swine flu that fall? NONE. The soldier at Fort Dix was the only one - even though other soldiers there were tested and found to have the virus. Most of them had no symptoms at all. NO ONE else died...except after receiving the vaccine.

But don't think the government will admit to it if it happens again...

"The last time the government embarked on a major vaccine campaign against a new swine flu, thousands filed claims contending they suffered side effects from the shots. This time, the government has already taken steps to head that off. Vaccine makers and federal officials will be immune from lawsuits that result from any new swine flu vaccine, under a document signed by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius..."

Article: Legal immunity set for swine flu vaccine makers - Yahoo! News

One more reason not to run out and beg for the swine flu vax? Well, H1N1 is just not that deadly unless you already have health issues. Symptoms range from none at all to milder than the regular flu. And pandemic does NOT automatically equal a higher mortality rate - it just means that more people *catch* it, not die from it.

Quote:
...the swine flu lacks certain “killer” characteristics, such as a molecular signature and especially amino-acids that increase the number of virus cells in the lungs and makes the disease more deadly.
Another quote from the forums at Mothering:

Quote:
...until 36,000 people in the U.S. die from this (within 1 year), it is NO MORE deadly than regular seasonal flu!! almost EVERY report I've read mentioned people with underlying health issues, there were only a couple that mentioned none, however, I believe they were just unknowns. A truly healthy person with functioning immune system will not die from swine flu. They ALL Had something that wasn't just right with them and that is why they were vulnerable.
But what if you're pregnant? Consider this, from Midwifery Today:

Quote:
Pregnancy is now considered a risk factor for H1N1 influenza (formerly Swine flu), and consequently the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has begun to advocate that pregnant women who develop symptoms of the flu take Tamiflu or Relenza. The intent is to avoid complications such as premature labor, pneumonia and dehydration. The only problem is that these medications have not been tested on and are not approved for women who are pregnant, so whether they will have adverse effects on the babies is unknown.

To date, one pregnant woman in the US has died from H1N1. She was one out of three who died and one of over 3000 who have been diagnosed with this flu. Pregnant women who have the misfortune to get this illness will now be faced with a hard decision, with only half the information they need to do so.
ABC News is already speculating that safety fears may hurt the swine flu vaccine (and rightly so!) :

Will Safety Fears Hurt Swine Flu Vaccinations? - ABC News

Unfortunately, they're ALSO going to be pushing the regular flu vax. Someone summed it up quite well at Mothering.com:

Quote:
They are also recommending the regular flu vax right? So it looks like our most vulnerable populations (pregnant women, unborn children, infants & toddlers, and the chronically ill) should be getting double the dose of mercury this year. I'm concerned about the ramifications of that, for sure.
I'm thinking OUR best bet will be to do the things we usually do to try to avoid the flu in the first place - avoid being around people who we know are sick, maintain a healthy diet, take plenty of vitamin C, get fresh air and get plenty of rest if we DO get sick. Injecting known toxins into my child's body that WILL suppress their immune system just doesn't make sense to me - children are remarkably resilient, and a healthy child should be able to fend this one off quite well.

Last edited by ragmama; September 5th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
July 30th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Thanks Kristin for giving us something to think about. As always you have stated your side very convincingly.
July 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Kristin. I love reading what you have put together. The Jan DDC has been talking about this topic this week. I certainly don't want to get the shot and I don't want my kids to get the shots. I'm not liking the whole "get it in school" thing.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
July 30th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Glad it's helpful. Feel free to copy/paste any parts you think are useful, Talia!
July 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Gray Sea
Can we stop our child from getting the shot at school?? I don't want Cali getting ANY shot...
July 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM
IceAngel8381's Avatar Wendy~~Mommy To Eva
Send a message via AIM to IceAngel8381 Send a message via Yahoo to IceAngel8381
I do not plan on getting it, nor will Eva. IMO, the vaccine was rushed and no trials were conducted. Also, I cannot get the yearly flu shot that you are supposed to get because I am allergic to it. I don't see why this one would be any different.

A special thank you to Amber for the awesome siggy!! You ROCK!!

July 30th, 2009, 03:30 PM
If you can't get the regular flu shot because of an egg allergy, then the same will apply for this one.

Come to think of it...we ALL just may be developing an egg allergy.

Gracie - they SHOULDN'T give any at school without parental consent!
July 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
The funny thing is, I can eat eggs without any issues. Something about the vaccine that can't handle. I makes me break out in hives.

July 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
if anyone is giving my kid that shot it will be their doctor not some military doctor or whoever that person is

July 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
There are so many other icky things in vaccines...it's probably a preservative or something that you have a reaction to.
July 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I would assume so. I got that specific vaccine in 2004. This was also the time we had a severe shortage of the vaccine. It was discovered the vaccine I received was manufactured in Germany. My doctor suggested that I not get the vaccine again because it was not worth the risk of getting very sick. I seem to do better without the vaccine that with, anyways. In 2003, got the vaccine I got a VERY bad case of the flu, which I found out later was a reaction to the vaccine. Apparently, when you get the vaccine, you will get the flu, a mild case, so your body can build defense to the virus. I had a full blown case that almost required hospitalization. When my doc in 2004 found this out from my medical records, it was strongly suggested that I receive no more flu vaccines. I haven't had a severe case of the flu since.

July 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
That's horrible. Unfortunately, MOST people get at least a mild case after the vaccine. Sorry yours was so much worse!
July 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
thanks for sharing it reminds me of the gardisil(sp?) vaccination... Not enough evidence for me to be allowing it in mine or my childrens bodies thank you government!

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

July 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
good info but ehh I dunno
August 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Another great article arrived in my inbox today...well, except for #10. I don't condone name-calling, and that is NOT directed at anyone here. The rest of the article, however, is really good.

Ten Things You're Not Supposed to Know about the Swine Flu Vaccine by Mike Adams the Health Ranger
August 7th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Here we go - testing has begun:

Novartis starts testing swine flu vaccine - Yahoo! News

I wonder how many of the results we'll actually hear about.
August 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh joy.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
aBookasmommy
So what should I do? I myself was going to the shot only bc I will have a brand new baby around who wont be able to get the shot. Kennedis doc personally told me to get the swine flu shot and 2 reg flu shots. i wasnt gonna get the reg flu shots..but swine flu I was seriously considering. Should I just not worry about it? its just so scary to me!
August 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Nikki, if you're planning to breastfeed...well, there is NO WAY I'd get the swine flu shot while breastfeeding. No one knows how much of the crap in it will filter through your milk. If it's not safe for Kennedi to get directly, why would it be safe for her to eat?

As for the flu shot...if you feel better about having it, make sure you get the SHOT (made from a killed virus) rather than the mist (made from a weakened LIVE virus, that could shed to your baby.) However, know that the flu shot is basically a crap shoot. They make it from the virus that they THINK might be prevalent in any given flu season - they have no way of knowing. And usually, they're wrong. The flu shot has been proven to do not much good to anyone, actually.

But I'm not surprised the doctors are pushing them anyway. In most cases, they either honestly don't know how harmful they can be/how little good they do, or they're being pushed by the pharmaceutical companies to sell, sell, sell.
August 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Don't Inject Me (The Swine Flu Vaccine song) by Michael Adams - NaturalNews.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search