Log In Sign Up

HELP! What would you do? (x-posted in Choosing Not to Vaccinate)


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Girls' Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern VA
Posts: 40,017
UGH, this is JUST what I needed on top of everything else... I've been babysitting for my friend's two daughters, who are the same ages as my girls and their best friends. The older girl (S) is in kindergarten this year, whereas we homeschool. I just found out this morning that S was getting her flu vaccine (pretty sure it was the H1N1 vax) at school today. I asked if it was the shot or the mist, and her mom didn't know...but emailed me a few minutes ago to let me know that it WAS the mist.

So. I know the mist sheds for a while. How long, exactly? I've read "up to 15 days" and I've read "up to 21 days". It sheds through droplets from coughing/sneezing, and S isn't the world's greatest at covering her mouth and nose.

What do I do?! My girls will NOT be getting this vaccine, and I'm not SUPER worried about H1N1...I know they're exposed to things every time we leave the house, but at the same time, I'm not crazy about the idea of having S here while I KNOW that she's shedding the virus. Likewise, I'm sure her little sister will have ample opportunity to pick it up at home, so just having the little one and not her big sister wouldn't make much sense. Seems like an all-or-nothing thing.

Her mom said in the email to let her know if she should arrange something different for next week...but I hate to ask her to do that too. She doesn't have any family in the area that can babysit for her, and only a couple of friends that might be willing. It would be a big burden on her to ask her to make a new plan, and I hate to do that. But I'm worried about my OWN girls first.

What do I do?! What would YOU do?!
__________________
Kristin
mom to Rachael, 9 ~ Milly, 5 ~ foster mom to R, 1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
hopesNdreams's Avatar Proud BF'ing Mama!!!
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 23,132
Wow this sucks.. I know your gonna feel bad for her but, the most important thing is keeping your girls safe. So you have to do what feels best for your kids safety. I would tell her to see what she could do about that week or so... Good luck in deciding..hugs sweetie!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 24,476
I think that you need to do whats best for your girls first. She knows you dont vax, and she shouldn't put you and your kids in jeapordy. It's better for her to be inconvienced than for your kids to get sick. I guess she should have thought it through before she let her kid get the vax.

Let us know what you decide.

OK so I just went and read the relpys on the non vax board and they are much smarter than I am. Sounds like you have a good plan.
__________________

Last edited by Mountain~Mama; November 11th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern VA
Posts: 40,017
Oops, I meant to copy that second post over here too. I talked to her again this evening...their schedule goes like this:

Th - her DH is off
F - I'll have Annika, she'll pick up Sophie
S & S - they're both off
M - I'll have Annika, she'll pick up Sophie
T & W - her DH is off

So that's a whole week that I won't have Sophie. Still the teensy chance with having Annika here two days, but I'm not AS worried about her.

Rachael will NOT be pleased with me. Thank goodness she didn't know that she had been invited over to Sophie's for a sleepover this weekend, because it looks like that's not happening now!
__________________
Kristin
mom to Rachael, 9 ~ Milly, 5 ~ foster mom to R, 1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 24,476
Did the mom understand? Is Sophie still having the sleepover but Rachael isn't going to go?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 24,820
Glad you figured something out. Definitely would be putting my kids first.
__________________

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature



My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 12th, 2009, 02:15 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern VA
Posts: 40,017
The sleepover was just going to be Sophie and Rachael, so no...but maybe next weekend. The mom has been very understanding.

I did decide to keep Rachael home from gymnastics tonight. I keep reading that the second day after getting the vaccine is the worst for shedding, and I know she'd be right in Sophie's face all night. And, who knows how many other kindergarteners in that class got it yesterday too?
__________________
Kristin
mom to Rachael, 9 ~ Milly, 5 ~ foster mom to R, 1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0