anyone here pregnant and on bloodthinners

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
hustons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hustons Send a message via Yahoo to hustons
Hi guys

I'm not pregnant again yet (we're TTC now) but I AM on coumadin and will be switching to injections that safe for conceiving next month. I was just wondering if any of you are on bloodthinners...what you're taking and how it's working out so far.

The whole thing is a little scary but I dont have much of a choice....

Thanks ladies!

"In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero" ......Martina McBride
July 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Welcome to the high risk board. I am not on blood thinners (or pregnant either lol) but a few of the girls here are.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 30th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi,
My name is Nathalie. I am TTC too. Because of a pulmonary embolism, I was on coumadin for 6 months. Now, I stopped but my doc told me as soon as I am pregnant, I will be on bloodthinner too. You are right, it is a little scary. I wish you good luck and for now, I have no more I can tell you. I am on the same boat.
July 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am on Lovenox since I was about 4 weeks pregnant. I lost my first child at 27w5d due to blood clotting issues that I didn't know about so now the shots seem to be working good so far. They burn at first and have left some nasty bruises, but overall its not that bad. Now that I have been doing that for a while it seems easy now. I am also on baby aspirin as well though so I do bleed a little more easily if I am not careful.

July 31st, 2008, 07:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a clotting disorder that was discovered when I was 4 weeks pregger. I was on Lovenox for the entire pregnancy until 8 months when I was switched to Heparin until delivery, then back on Lovenox for 8 weeks PP. I was followed by a high risk team with a preinatologist, high risk OB and a hematologist. Had routine u/s to check babies growth (the blood thinners can restrict growth), and routine blood work to check for problems. My pregnancy went fine from a clotting standpoint. The shots werent pleasant, but they gave me a healthy, happy little girl. I had no complications with clots, bleeding or anything. My delivery and PP recovery were cake. I didnt even have major bleeding problems during those times, and my PP bleeding was done in 3 weeks. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

I wish you the best TTC and through your pregnancy!
July 31st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Regular
Hi,

I'm on Fragmin (kind of like Lovenox) since week 8 of my pregnancy and also baby aspirin (have been on that for 5 years) and it's going ok. My belly is all nice and blue from all the shots, but other than that, I can't complain. Don't worry, it's scarier before you actually have to start doing it. Once you've done it, that the doc has explained to you what it's for and how it'll work for you and your baby, you'll be fine. But don't hesitate to PM me if you want.

Jo

August 1st, 2008, 12:05 PM
hustons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hustons Send a message via Yahoo to hustons
Quote:
Hi,
My name is Nathalie. I am TTC too. Because of a pulmonary embolism, I was on coumadin for 6 months. Now, I stopped but my doc told me as soon as I am pregnant, I will be on bloodthinner too. You are right, it is a little scary. I wish you good luck and for now, I have no more I can tell you. I am on the same boat.[/b]
Hi Nathalie! This is ME TOO! I had THREE PEs when I had my c-sec last year and have been on bloodthinners ever since. Doc says I'll be on them again when I'm pregnant with the next one since they don't know what caused the clots. Sucks. Just want to know that everything can be ok!

Oh thanks SOOO MUCH ladies for your encouraging words. I'm guessing the shots wont bother me too much since I had to do them last time because of gestational diabetes. As long as I know a healthy pregnancy can happen, I'm all for it!!!! Can't wait to get started!!! hahha
Best of LUCK with all of your pregnancies!!!!!!

"In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero" ......Martina McBride
August 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MarykatSC
I am currently ttc also and will have to be on blood thinners again. I had 3 miscarriage before DS and that was how we found out what was going on. I used heparin twice a day for the first trimester, then switched to lovenox the rest of the pregnancy. I also took baby aspiring daily. Unfortunately I miscarried again back in April while on blood thinners, but they believe it was a genetic defect. Good luck ttc, and don't worry about the shots, they aren't that bad.
August 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wee3monkeys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm also pg and on blood thinners, due to a clotting disorder and a recent clot. Low dose though of 40mg of Lovenox and a baby aspirin daily. what the other girls said, it's not that bad once you get used to it. It starts off a little scary, but then you just become accustomed. Just come here and ask questions if you need to. Good luck, hun!

August 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am on Lovenox, 2 shots a day for a clotting disorder. I was on Coumadin prior to getting pregnant. My pregnancy has been blissfully uneventful. The shots took a little getting used to, but other than that it has been fine.

August 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Evans Mommy* Send a message via Yahoo to *Evans Mommy*
hey guys! I'm on lovenox and they said they will change it at 36 weeks to Heparion but what if the baby comes before then. What do you do?

August 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just saw my hematologist Thursday and he told me that Lovenox has a half-life of 12 hours, heparin is 4 hours. So basically you will be monitored closer after 32 weeks and they will be keeping an eye on that. As long as you don't have a shot within 24 hours of delivery then there isn't a problem. He said the only major concern is with a c-section, but even then its not so bad because they can cauterize (sp?) it and get it to stop bleeding then too. Plus when the placenta is expelled it releases something that makes the body produce more clots. That is why he said I will continue to take Lovenox for 6 weeks pp. Hth.

August 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Evans Mommy* Send a message via Yahoo to *Evans Mommy*
Quote:
I just saw my hematologist Thursday and he told me that Lovenox has a half-life of 12 hours, heparin is 4 hours. So basically you will be monitored closer after 32 weeks and they will be keeping an eye on that. As long as you don't have a shot within 24 hours of delivery then there isn't a problem. He said the only major concern is with a c-section, but even then its not so bad because they can cauterize (sp?) it and get it to stop bleeding then too. Plus when the placenta is expelled it releases something that makes the body produce more clots. That is why he said I will continue to take Lovenox for 6 weeks pp. Hth.[/b]

wow i never knew that! Now that makes me feel better! I go to the doc monday.. I just want this baby out but i'll only be 33 weeks on tuesday lol

August 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it can vary for each person, so just ask your dr. what he will do if the baby comes sooner. I completely understand. I will wait until the 38 weeks if I can since I know it is best for baby, but I wish we could just fast forward to bringing them home safe and sound. I enjoy pregnancy though and don't want to rush it either, but after all I have been through I just want my baby in my arms and screaming.

September 23rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I am not pregnant now, but I did have 3 successful pregnancies resulting in 3 wonderful boys each while I was taking Lovenox. I also took baby aspirin too for most of the pregnancies durations. I would stop the aspirin when the bruising got bad.

It was annoying but the end result is all that matters. Good luck to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search