Bedrest and Incompetent Cervix

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone, my name is Natalie, I am 28 weeks 4 days. This is my first pregnancy. My older sister has an incompetent cervix and unfortunately they have diagnosed me with it as well. At 25 weeks I had an ultrasound to measure my cervical length. It was 2.5 cm. My doctor did a vaginal check and found that I was also 50% effaced. Time for bedrest!! One week later I was sent to a perinatologist and was told that my cervix had shortened again to 1.4 cm. They started me on some medication to stop contractions if I should have any and am also now doing progesterone shots. They are hoping to get me to at least 30 weeks. Anyone had experiences like this???

Oh, and they also see funneling in the ultrasounds as well!

Thank you .t.e.r.r.a. for my amazing siggy!
September 19th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Welcome to the high risk board.

I have not experienced that but there are a few girls here who have.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
September 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Natalie! I have IC too but I had a cerclage with Connor. However I totally feel for you with the bedrest issue. I was on bedrest at home from 17 to 22 weeks and 22-34 in the hospital. I had Connor just a few hours into week 35. He was 5lbs 11oz and only stayed in the NICU for a week. You're already at a great point in your pregnancy, keep that in mind! Not sure if the peri told you, but your cervix length can actually change either way. That being said, of course it's more likely to get shorter but one week when I was in the hospital mine went from a .7 to 1.1cm. Just keep thinking positive...you're already past the 28wk point! You should definatly stick around here, this board saved my sanity when I was pregnant!

September 22nd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
welcome! with DS i was ignored from week 22-26 when i complained about BH contractions. i finally just ignored the docs and went to L&D and i was 2 cm. dialated 80% effaced. i spent a month in the hospital on bedrest(week 26-31). as long as your staying off those feet, and drinking TONS of water, and taking any meds they tell you to, try not to stress! i had my baby boy at 32 weeks, and he's now 7 months old and a happy, chunky baby :-). just try to stay relaxed, and OFF THOSE FEET!

Thank you so much, ashypoo03 for my awesome siggy!!!!
September 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
Mom of 3 Preemie girls
Both my daughters I had IC and bedrest.
My last daughter I had an emergent placed because I was effacing very early on (before the 21wk mark). So they placed an emergent cerclage in, which helped. I ultimately had my daughter because of HELLP Syndrome at 32wks. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital. I was around 1-2cm and my cervical length was 28mm so in the hospital i went and got the emergent.
My first daughter at 28wks I was 3cm and 85% effaced and had already been on bedrest for awhile. I was funneling and even with a T.pump I couldn't get my contractions under control. Finally when she locked down into position she blocked the "funneling" from happening anymore which was good. Something smoothed out around 32wks and I held her in until 34.5wks. She was healthy as an ox and came home with us. Just needed monitoring for jaundice and alot of help with suck/ swallow

This baby I went for an ultrasound Sept 4 and my cervix was 36.7mm (or 37.6mm) either way above 3cm. I had one last week and my cervical length 31.3mm. So in less then 2 weeks we lost a good amount of cervical length. They gave us the decision don't do it and probably deliver before the 25wk mark, or do it and have a better chance to carry. They said its not a guarantee its more a lets try it and hope. So we took the cerclage, we chose the mcdonald stitch over the shirodokar (sp?) and was released with procardia every 2-3 hours.

I am only 16w3d. So hoping this help. I am resting and bored out my mind. I am not cut out for the pampered life, I like to do things for myself and it kinda makes me feel worthless LOL especially as a mom of 2 already I hope and pray that you get to 30wks, then 32wks and so on. Have they given you shot for lungs? Are they monitoring lil ones development via u/s?
Good luck I am thinking off you If your bored ever IM me
September 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
angelmomjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to angelmomjen
I am a member of the pregnancy after loss board but I lurke here at times...I have IC was diagnosed after I lost my son at 21 weeks 3 years ago. I do not have a cerclage, my doctors took the wait and see approach, I started with a cervical length of 3.6 which decreased to 3.2 with funneling at 24 weeks, then by 26 weeks I was down to 2.4 with funneling, I was admitted to hospital bedrest for 4 days my cervical length went back up to 2.6 still funneling, they sent me home and a week later my cervix was 1cm with severe funneling, they admitted me again, for 14 days..the worst ever. I was finally released after it was obvious my cervix was not going to change for the better. I was sent home on bedrest, and am now 35 weeks. I have .34 cervix left with funneling. I started the progerstone shots when I was 17 weeks and had my last one at 34 weeks 3 days.

Have faith honey it can be done, the doctors never thought I would make it when I lost my cervix down to 1cm, but I have and you can to. good luck sweety.
September 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all of your stories and advice! At my last appointment I was dilated to a 1, nothing too scary, but things are definitely starting to change. I have been feeling contractions, but no spotting or anything. My husband is convinced that we will make it full term. It's nice to have him be positive, but sometimes I just want to be able to say how I feel. It's more likely that he will come around 32 weeks...according to the doctor. So I'm planning on that so that I'm ready if he does! It's getting harder and harder to be on bedrest! I have so many pains and it's SO hard to sleep now! And I'm not really one that likes to be catered to either. I feel like I am a burden to people so I would rather just be able to take care of myself. It's a good thing it's for the baby...that's the only thing that keeps me going! I go see the peri next week and they will check cervical length again. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and yes they have given me the steroid shots. I got them at 25 weeks when they first saw that my cervix was shortening and funneling.

Thank you .t.e.r.r.a. for my amazing siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search