Log In Sign Up

BTDT moms on blood thinners


Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
September 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
For moms on blood thinners, I have a question.
What blood thinner were you on while breast feeding? I recently read that Coumadin is safe while breastfeeding, but I thought that my doctor had told me that I would need to stay on Lovenox til I finished breast feeding.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
September 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,606
I am of no help to you
but
I wanted to say good monday morning to you lol
__________________


I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.



Click here to remember Donovan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
September 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Regular
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 84
Quote:
For moms on blood thinners, I have a question.
What blood thinner were you on while breast feeding? I recently read that Coumadin is safe while breastfeeding, but I thought that my doctor had told me that I would need to stay on Lovenox til I finished breast feeding.[/b]
I was told by my doc that I would be off injected blood thinners after my pregnancy, but I would still be on Asaphen. I'm seeing her this week (Wednesday), I was going to ask her anyway, so I'll let you know what she says.

__________________
Jo, mom to Max and Eloi





Reply With Quote
  #4  
September 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Regular
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Hi,


My doc told me that I would switch from Lovenox to Heparin at 36 weeks, then back to Lovenox until 6 weeks postpartum. I don't have to be on blood thinners long term though. He did tell me that Lovenox was safe for BF. I don't know about coumadin though, sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
September 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
Quote:
Hi,


My doc told me that I would switch from Lovenox to Heparin at 36 weeks, then back to Lovenox until 6 weeks postpartum. I don't have to be on blood thinners long term though. He did tell me that Lovenox was safe for BF. I don't know about coumadin though, sorry.[/b]
I think that is what my docs told me too, but I am on blood thinners forever so I wonder if that makes a difference. I see my OB tomorrow and I have it written down so I remember to ask.

Quote:
I am of no help to you
but
I wanted to say good monday morning to you lol[/b]
Good afternoon to you Mel!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
September 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
So my doctor told me I will probably be on Lovenox 6 weeks postpartum, but gave me no reason why. He also did not know if coumadin was ok while breastfeeding. So I pretty much got nowhere today!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
September 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Regular
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
So my doctor told me I will probably be on Lovenox 6 weeks postpartum, but gave me no reason why. He also did not know if coumadin was ok while breastfeeding. So I pretty much got nowhere today![/b]

I do know that coumadin is a big no-no while pregnant. The lovenox is especially important after giving birth due to an increased risk of clots, esp. if you have a c-section.

It must be frustrating that your doc didn't really give you too much advice. I did some internet researching, but all the info I come across seems to be contradicting.

This article FDA coumadin report says definitely no, while this one Physicians Desktop Reference seems to think that its ok, as long as the baby is checked for coagulation abnormalities.

Frustrating for sure. I may have to be on blood thinners as I get older, as I have a clotting disorder, but as of right now, since I never had a dangerous clot, the docs think its unnecessary.

I wish I could be of more help! If you do find a confirmed answer, please share! I will ask my doc too at my next visit.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
September 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
I was on Lovenox during my 3 pregnancies. After my first the insurance company would only pay for Coumadin after I delivered. It was fine for breastfeeding. My understanding is that it can cross the placenta which is why you canít take it while pregnant but after delivery, Coumadin is fine.

Luckily, I only have to be on Lovenox or Coumadin while pregnant and 6 weeks post-partum. After that, I just take a baby aspirin each day. I have FVL which is why I was on it while pregnant even though I never had an actual clotting problem.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
September 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
Thanks for the info everyone!

Quote:
I was on Lovenox during my 3 pregnancies. After my first the insurance company would only pay for Coumadin after I delivered. It was fine for breastfeeding. My understanding is that it can cross the placenta which is why you canít take it while pregnant but after delivery, Coumadin is fine.

Luckily, I only have to be on Lovenox or Coumadin while pregnant and 6 weeks post-partum. After that, I just take a baby aspirin each day. I have FVL which is why I was on it while pregnant even though I never had an actual clotting problem.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.[/b]
I have FVL also, but I have had DVT and bilateral PE so I will be on the blood thinners forever.
Did they induce you? They want to induce me, but I do not see the need for it and I am currently fighting with my doctors over it.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
September 24th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone!

Quote:
I was on Lovenox during my 3 pregnancies. After my first the insurance company would only pay for Coumadin after I delivered. It was fine for breastfeeding. My understanding is that it can cross the placenta which is why you canít take it while pregnant but after delivery, Coumadin is fine.

Luckily, I only have to be on Lovenox or Coumadin while pregnant and 6 weeks post-partum. After that, I just take a baby aspirin each day. I have FVL which is why I was on it while pregnant even though I never had an actual clotting problem.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating.[/b]
I have FVL also, but I have had DVT and bilateral PE so I will be on the blood thinners forever.
Did they induce you? They want to induce me, but I do not see the need for it and I am currently fighting with my doctors over it.
[/b]
I was induced at 40w 1 day with my first because he was huge and I wanted to make sure I would be off the Lovenox so I could have an epidural. For my second I was induced at 38 weeks so I could have the Lovenox out of my system too.

The third pregnancy, I started having contractions at 37 Ĺ weeks and was losing fluid so they induced again. They were always planning on inducing early it just ended up being earlier. I didnít mind too much since labor went faster and easier with each pregnancy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
September 26th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Regular
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 84
I saw my doc Wednesday and I asked her. She said Fragmin (which seems to be the Canadian equivalent of Lovenox) is perfectly safe during breastfeeding. So I would imagine Lovenox is ok too.
__________________
Jo, mom to Max and Eloi





Reply With Quote
  #12  
September 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 10,208
I saw my OB today and as much as I love those guys they seem clueless when it comes to this. Here is what the doc told me today: Breast feeding on coumadin used to be a big no-no, now there is some literature that suggests its ok. But he would not tell me it was ok. Breast feeding on Heparin is fine. Lovenox is also fine. As for now it looks like I will be staying on either Lovenox or Heparin since I want to breast feed. The only question now is if I can get my insurance to cover it. I will check with the lactation consultants at the hospital, my doc said they should have more info.
Oh, and they will be inducing me during my 39th week.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0