We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi all, I joined on Sept. 20 and usually post on the GD board. I'm an older mom (40), 2nd time HBP in pregnancy, 1st time diagnosed with GD, repeat C-section (will be my 4th) and insufficient blood flow to the uterus. It's the last factor I'd like to ask your opinions on.
I'm a scheduled C-section which will take place on October 15th, with the baby at 38 weeks.
The insufficient blood flow problem was found early-ish in the pregnancy, at about 20 weeks. I was given repeat ultrasounds to keep an eye on it. Until last week it was only my left side and the right side was fine, as was umbilical blood flow. Baby's size is fine and she's moving well but they're keeping an especially close watch. I'm going in weekly until she's delivered.
During last week's ultrasound the doctor told me my right side uterine blood flow is now constricted too, although the umbilical blood flow remains okay. This isn't very encouraging and I'm beginning to be worried. There are only 18 days left but this new development happened pretty quickly. After giving me the news the doctor told me if the right side blood flow goes they'll continue checking the umbilical cord, and if that goes they'll begin measuring blood flow to the brain and watching the baby for signs of stress.
At this point I'm thinking "HUH?" If the right side goes why not go ahead and take her? Their plan seems to be to leave her in for as long as possible to avoid respiratory distress after birth, but with all my other problems and the stories of babies being delivered okay at 34 weeks, in my opinion getting to the point where her only source of oxygen comes from the umbilical cord is cutting it much too close to the quick. I'm definitely *not* prepared to let it get to the point where they're watching blood flow to her brain. That seems just unthinkable to me.
While I'm not against having a special needs child if that's what I'm given, I don't want to deliberately chance having one in the name of *maybe* not risking her lung function. Too big a maybe in my opinion.
Has anyone here had to demand that their baby be taken to avoid seemingly ridiculous preventitive measures? As quickly as my right side began to be constricted (in the space of a week) I feel I may have to make this decision very soon.
If they know in advance that baby might come early they give you steriods to improve the lungs. But Lissa all mine (10) came naturally between 36 weeks and 37.3 weeks with no lung issues and no steriods given.
If it was important for your baby to be out now, make no mistake. . . you would be holding your baby in your arms now. They don't mess around with that sort of thing. Doctors say things and they are totally unaware of the impact they have on expecting moms. So while its something to keep an eye on I maintain that if your baby needed to be out now.... it would be out now.
Hello, just read your post. I respectfully disagree. Doctors are human. They do make mistakes. I would suggest that you be very assertive. I would tell the doc that you do not want to wait for further complications to develop. There are docs who are very conservative. Some do wait too long. I had a very conservative doc who waited so long to deliver that major problems set in. I'll bet if you asked 10 doctors what to do in your case at least half would deliver now. Maybe he's right, but it sounds risky from what you write. Jude
My past experience with doctors willing to wait and not really knowing the consequences are restricted to two instances. The first was back in '72. My cousin was the second longest pregnancy known to the hospital at that time. They waited until he was a few weeks away from being carried a full year because the ladies in our family don't go into labor, and back then a C-Section was considered emergency surgery. He was finally taken but has severe disabilities.
The second was here in Germany, in the town I live in, with the mother's health being endangered. With a known kidney disorder she was allowed to wait in hospital while her body slowly shut down and the doctors wouldn't make a decision. This was my MIL. Her husband had to have her removed from the hospital and signed paperwork taking responsibility for the choice. When the baby was finally delivered per C-Section the surgeons told him if he'd have waited another 24 hours he probably would've lost his wife.
So... I think doctors do the best they can but at the same time can only make educated guesses. I know what I want to do should it come to it. I am very reassured Cindermella's babies came between 36 and 37 weeks without health issues.
The ladies I was in hospital with lately, at 36+ weeks diagnosed with incompetent cervix, were all being given the cortisone injections. So I think I probably will too if I deliver before the 15th. At least they're trying to err on the safe side. With my last pregnancy in this same hospital I had serious, unmedicated high blood pressure problems and was told I was going to wait regardless and wait I did, until the baby was delivered at 38 weeks. That was different, though. That was me being compromised. I don't want to take the chance with my daughter.
My son had End Low Diastolic Flow through his umbilical cord. They found this at 26 week. I was monitored every week via u/s to check flows and his growth. I was told to get to 28 weeks, I had steroids at 27 weeks. I made it past 28 weeks, his flows continued to decline slowly his did become growth restricted. At 35 weeks his flows finally reversed, until that point all the blood flows to the brain. They took him he weighed 3Lbs. So a very small 35 weeker, but at almost 3 he's very healthy and active--still smaller but doing great....
See lisa with this new information I cant blame you. Doctors here are a bit more diligent.[/b]
The styles are definitely different. I've put off more than one German doctor with my pesky expectation of being involved with my diagnosis, treatment and questioning 'why'. As little as ten years ago the medical profession in my area expected you to do what they said without question. Happily with the old generation retiring and the new coming in, this attitude is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Still, when I'm being treated by an older gentleman doctor my first instinct is to cringe.
Lvbb29 - So good to hear it turned out well in the end. It must've been very hard on you to wait and see. Thanks for taking the time to share that. Gives me confidence although a thing might sound bad it doesn't necessarily have to *be* bad.
Cindermella - This is definitely not a litigious society. I'm not very familiar with law here not being a lawyer or studying law, but according to my husband - also from what I've seen on news reports - there seem to be very strict grounds on which a person can sue, for medical reasons or otherwise. Even if those grounds are met there are caps on the amount of damages received, and little or nothing for emotional distress or the like, as you often hear about in the States. You'll see someone obviously wronged and they'll sue to receive compensation in a case which if tried in the States would net them a couple hundred thousand, here they'll get two to five thousand, if that. Just enough to cover their loss, or often less.
Given my strong opinion it would be important to note that before I left the States I'd never sued anyone for anything. But here, even if the actions of the doctors did deliberately make a difference in the health and/or life of my child, that would simply be my bad luck.