Gastroschisis

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Melissa_A's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Melissa_A
Hi everyone, I am Melissa. I post mostly on the May DD board but thought I would jump over here. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby which is a girl. I have not been told that I am "high risk" per say, but I am at a high risk for preterm labor due to her having a condition called Gastroschisis. Her intestines are partly on the outside of her abdomen and she will need to go into surgery within the hour of her birth. They will surgically replace all her protruding intestines and she will remain in the NICU until she is doing better, I have been told that the normal length of stay is 30 days or more pending further complications. She will have to be on feeding tubes for approx 3-4 weeks until she can begin taking normal feeds. Its common for gastroschisis babies not to make it much longer than 36 weeks from what I understand but they try to get you to go as long as possible so the baby is bigger and healthier for surgery. I just wanted to share whats going on and since it's a pretty rare condition I don't think anyone else is too familiar with it. But if you are please be sure to post!! I have another message board which is strictly gastroschisis babies but the board is very slow so I thought I'd post up here too. Thanks for listening! Good luck everyone with your pregnancies, it can be so scary at times I will say from experience. Oh, I am editing this because I forgot to add a few things. I am on more monitored care then a normal pregnancy, I have ultrasounds to check her the health of her intestines every 3 weeks, (intestines can become damaged being exposed to the amniotic fluid) and I have met with the Pediatric surgeon. And its most likely going to be a csection delivery, it can be done vaginally but a lot of the OBs I believe opt for csection.
January 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I remember hearing about this when I went to nursing school. I am sure that this must be scary for you. Sending you and your little girl some prayers.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 31st, 2005, 06:18 PM
tara's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to tara
You and your baby are in my thoughts and prayers. May God's angels watch over the surgeons hands while performing on your little one. (((HuGs)))

Host for
Baby/Children's Gear
Co-host for
April Playroom
February 24th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally posted by Melissa_A@Jan 26 2005, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone, I am Melissa. I post mostly on the May DD board but thought I would jump over here.* I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby which is a girl.* I have not been told that I am "high risk" per say, but I am at a high risk for preterm labor due to her having a condition called Gastroschisis.* Her intestines are partly on the outside of her abdomen and she will need to go into surgery within the hour of her birth.* They will surgically replace all her protruding intestines and she will remain in the NICU until she is doing better, I have been told that the normal length of stay is 30 days or more pending further complications. She will have to be on feeding tubes for approx 3-4 weeks until she can begin taking normal feeds.* Its common for gastroschisis babies not to make it much longer than 36 weeks from what I understand but they try to get you to go as long as possible so the baby is bigger and healthier for surgery. I just wanted to share whats going on and since it's a pretty rare condition I don't think anyone else is too familiar with it.* But if you are please be sure to post!! I have another message board which is strictly gastroschisis babies but the board is very slow so I thought I'd post up here too.* Thanks for listening! Good luck everyone with your pregnancies, it can be so scary at times I will say from experience.* Oh, I am editing this because I forgot to add a few things. I am on more monitored care then a normal pregnancy, I have ultrasounds to check her the health of her intestines every 3 weeks, (intestines can become damaged being exposed to the amniotic fluid) and I have met with the Pediatric surgeon. And its most likely going to be a csection delivery, it can be done vaginally but a lot of the OBs I believe opt for csection.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
February 24th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally posted by Tracy+Feb 24 2005, 11:32 AM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Melissa_A
Quote:
@Jan 26 2005, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone, I am Melissa. I post mostly on the May DD board but thought I would jump over here.* I am currently 24 weeks pregnant with my first baby which is a girl.* I have not been told that I am "high risk" per say, but I am at a high risk for preterm labor due to her having a condition called Gastroschisis.* Her intestines are partly on the outside of her abdomen and she will need to go into surgery within the hour of her birth.* They will surgically replace all her protruding intestines and she will remain in the NICU until she is doing better, I have been told that the normal length of stay is 30 days or more pending further complications. She will have to be on feeding tubes for approx 3-4 weeks until she can begin taking normal feeds.* Its common for gastroschisis babies not to make it much longer than 36 weeks from what I understand but they try to get you to go as long as possible so the baby is bigger and healthier for surgery. I just wanted to share whats going on and since it's a pretty rare condition I don't think anyone else is too familiar with it.* But if you are please be sure to post!! I have another message board which is strictly gastroschisis babies but the board is very slow so I thought I'd post up here too.* Thanks for listening! Good luck everyone with your pregnancies, it can be so scary at times I will say from experience.* Oh, I am editing this because I forgot to add a few things. I am on more monitored care then a normal pregnancy, I have ultrasounds to check her the health of her intestines every 3 weeks, (intestines can become damaged being exposed to the amniotic fluid) and I have met with the Pediatric surgeon. And its most likely going to be a csection delivery, it can be done vaginally but a lot of the OBs I believe opt for csection.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/b][/quote]

Hello,

I hope I am replying correctly as this is my first try on this message board. I just wanted to let you know that my nephew had the same problem when my sister-in-law was pregnant. She went through a horrible time as the Dr.'s kept telling her and my brother that Jacob, my nephew, would probably have all sorts of other physical problems and most likely would not live. I am happy to say that Jacob is a thriving 9 year old boy who is very athletic and extremely intelligent. He was taken via C-section a month early and rushed into surgery rihgt after. Luckily, my brother was a medical student at the time and was allowed to witness both surgeries which made him feel a little better. Jacod did stay in NICU for amonth and was on a feeding tube for that month but had no further problems when he returned home. My sister-in-law breastfed him for 6 months. Jacod does get constipated more frequently than your usual child, however he takes something like metamucil on a regular basis which usually does the trick. I just want you to know that you are not alone and hope that I have provided you some relief of worry. I too am going through a scary time as I am 20 weeks pregnant and have a 1/130 chance of having a Down's Syndrome baby. So I know about the sleepless nights and the overwhelming worry that can hit. I will be praying for you and your baby and hope everything goes perfect. I have a strong feeling everything will be just fine!!

Tracy
February 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
May I ask, have they scheduled a c-section for you yet? I haven't heard back and am hoping everything is A ok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search