Anyone ever have preeclampsia?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
jaylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone and I hope your pregnancies are progressing safely. With my first pregnancy I had perfect bp the entire time. Last year (before I even became pregnant) my docs began worrying about my bp b/c anytime I'd go to the doc it was really high. They could find no cause so they basically said I had white coat hypertension. Throughout this pregnancy my bp has been elevated, but I've been fine. No swelling, etc. When I went in last Thursd my bp was very high, but no other symptoms. So, my quesiton is, can you have preeclampsia and not have any symptoms except high bp or do you have to have other things with it? I'm almost finished my 36th week and I know thatas you get closer to term pree becomes more likely to occur and more dangerous. Any suggestions, advice, etc. Thanks so much!
Jamie
January 2nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
chlodoll
I had preeclampsia. My first warning was extreme swelling! I had it for weeks before any other symptoms. At 33 weeks my blood pressure was crazy and I had tons of protein in my urine and was admitted to the hospital and delivered a week later.

You may just have high blood pressure. What did your doctor say? Are you monitoring it yourself?
January 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
steph1989's Avatar Super Mommy
I have high blood pressure due to this pregnancy. I've been on meds for it since October. I am very closely monitored by my doctors.......and thank God so far no preelampsia......and I pray that I don't get it.

Swelling would be a sign, blurred vision or seeing spots is another. Also, your urine would show protein in it.

I would make sure your doctor keeps a close watch on you......I'm sure they are if they found your BP high.

I am also on a low sodium diet and drink lots and lots of water....and of course I am on rest......not bedrest, but I need to rest throughout my day.

Hope all goes well......Good luck.

Benjamin Patrick was born on January 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM! 7 lbs. 11.4 oz. 20 1/2"

April 6, 2006 will be our 4th Wedding Anniversary!

January 3rd, 2006, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
Just wanted to say good luck to you!!

I had to go to see my OB today because I pieced together a bunch of normal symptoms and had a bad feeling I was developing preeclampsia or pregnancy induced hypertension. I gained 12 pounds in December (not related to the holidays as I don't like holiday food and don't eat any differently than usual), and my hands and feet have become swollen (my rings and shoes barely fit now). I also quite often get headaches, light headedness, blurred vision, and rapid heart beat. I've also seen spots on some occasions. And to top it all off, I was told in late December by a L&D nurse that my b/p was high, but not so much for concern.

To be on the safe side, they wanted to do a b/p, urine, and weight check on me. My b/p wasn't high, but it was elevated, so they'll continue to keep a close eye on that. Fortunately there was no protein in my urine though. But sadly I gained 2 pounds in a week so there's pretty much no doubt about my swelling.

January 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much for all of your replies. I'm going to speak with my doc about it on Thursday, especially b/c I am now 36 weeks and very close to full term. Good luck to all of you and thanks again, Jamie
January 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually ended up with HELLP Syndrome (a bad case of preeclampsia)... I had really bad swelling starting around 20 weeks, but my bp and protiens were all great until my 36 week appointment...my bp was sky high, along with other problems going on, after they did some blood work, they figured out it was HELLP and I had my baby that day via csection... if you don't have any of the other symptoms of preeclampsia, you may just have high bp, I would talk to your doctor if you are concerned...

January 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi girls,
I just wanted to give you a little update. I went to my doc on Thursday and my bp was 154/70. My nurse said that was good b/c my bottom number is down. My doc said my bp was stable and I didn't have any severe swelling or any protein in my urine. I feel much better b/c I'll be 37 weeks on Thursday and my doc said he really isn't concerned. Of course they are watching me, but I don't have to see him extra or talk about induction or anything yet. Thank you all so much for your support and advice!-Jamie
January 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Super Mommy
Hello. I had preeclampsia when I had my daughter last month. I was the last person in the world that I thought would get preeclampsia. Never really had a BP problem in my life. They didn't even discover I had preeclampsia until I went into labor. For a while though before I had my baby I'd been seeing spots. Also I had swelling but I guess I thought it was just normal pregnancy related although I feel that maybe the doctor should have caught on when I gained 5 pounds in one week. What did I know though I thought it was normal. At the least I would gain 2 pounds in a week. Also BP was elevated not high but high for me. At the end though it was really high when I went into labor. Just keep an eye out if you suspect you have this and make sure the doctor is monitoring you really closely.
January 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
what about you're urin??? is that ok? it's probly just high b/p

</div>

</div>
January 18th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Regular
Quote:
what about you're urin??? is that ok? it's probly just high b/p[/b]
Hi, Im new to this site and would like to say hello to everyone
This is my 2nd pregnancy and i developed pre-eclampsia with my first 7 years ago. I already had mild high blood pressure before i became pregnant and my mother had pre-eclampsia with me so i knew the chances of me getting it were high to begin with. I was fine up until 24 weeks when my bp went up quite high and had protioen in urine as well as some swelling but fortunatly the doctors were able to control as i was put on meds and ordered to have total bed rest. At 30 weeks things started to get worse and i had to be addmitted into hospital, the pre-eclampsia was controled until eventually things started to get worse(while in hospital i had put on 38lbs!) which led to me being induced at 37 wks...everything turned out well thankfully but the downside was that i remained to have high bp for 6 years afterwards! Pre-eclampsia can strike like lightnening and it is really scary, fortunantly i was one of the lucky ones as i know of some people that have lost babies to pre-eclampsia. I am terrified the same will happen again with this pregnancy and have resorted to checking my own bp and urine at home to be on the safe side, so far so good...i'm 21 weeks now.
Anyway i wish everyone a happy pregnancy, speak to you soon
Claire xx
January 18th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Eliana&#39;s Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Eliana&#39;s Mommy
all I had was High BP and migraines with my pre-eclapsia
I kept off my feet as much as possible
my symptoms start at 32 or 34 weeks
Eliana was born at 37 weeks 6 days due to protein in my urine
not positive but I think protein in the urine is anotehr sign of pre-eclapsia

January 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Just wanted to give you girls an update. I'm 38 weeks and 1 day today. My bp has been fine at my last 2 appts. I've also lost weight my last 2 appts, showing that I'm not retaining any water. My doc checks my urine for protein and sugar every week and I have been fine in that regards. Thanks for all of your advice! It's good for me to be aware of the different signs so if I do develop a problem I will know to call ASAP. Thanks girls. Wishing al you preggos safe and happy pregnancies!-Jamie
January 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Just wanted to give you girls an update. I'm 38 weeks and 1 day today. My bp has been fine at my last 2 appts. I've also lost weight my last 2 appts, showing that I'm not retaining any water. My doc checks my urine for protein and sugar every week and I have been fine in that regards. Thanks for all of your advice! It's good for me to be aware of the different signs so if I do develop a problem I will know to call ASAP. Thanks girls. Wishing al you preggos safe and happy pregnancies!-Jamie[/b]
That's great news! Have you had your baby yet??

Jonah Bear's Growing Bigger Every Day!

January 29th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Just wanted to give you girls an update. I'm 38 weeks and 1 day today. My bp has been fine at my last 2 appts. I've also lost weight my last 2 appts, showing that I'm not retaining any water. My doc checks my urine for protein and sugar every week and I have been fine in that regards. Thanks for all of your advice! It's good for me to be aware of the different signs so if I do develop a problem I will know to call ASAP. Thanks girls. Wishing al you preggos safe and happy pregnancies!-Jamie[/b]
That's great news! Have you had your baby yet??
[/b]

To update everyone, Logan Nathaniel was born Monday, January 23 at 7:48 am. I had an execellent and easy delivery. In the hospital after delivery, my blood pressure was great the entire time. We are doing well. You can check out pics and my birth story in the feb ddc!!-Jamie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search