I really need honest advice

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I was told that this board might be a good place for advice. I am thinking about switching doctors and would really appreciate your honest opinion. I chose my doctor based off of 2 different recommendations, but I am just not sure how I feel about my care. I have 2 gene mutations of MTHFR, so I take heavy levels of B Vit's and Lovenox 40mg/day, along with BA. This is what concerns me:

1. He does not know what Metanx is (it is the vitamin which contains big doses of B Vit and Folate).
2. He has done 1 ultrasound at 20 wks and does not plan on doing anymore.
3. He does 0 testing to make sure Lovenox is working correctly.
4. His nurse is a total nit-whit; among other things, she told me to go to L&D if I think there is a problem rather than call them.
5. They chose not to take blood/urine samples this last appt. and told me they would only do so if I had elevated BP from now on.
6. I am a completely normal patient to them. I receive the exact same care someone would that had 0 problems.

Should I find another doctor this far along? I really like him, and I know he is very well known/respected in the community as a great OB, but I am starting to worry that they think everything must be hunkey-dorey as long as my fundal measurement isn't way off (I measured 28 y-day, but I measured 26 at my 25 week appt.?!), and my BP checks out.

Would love your thoughts...........

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
October 9th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Your fundal measurement can change drastically solely based on the position of the baby.

If you really like this guy then tell him you would like a blood test to check on the status of the lovenox. Who prescribed you with the lovenox in the first place?

There is nothing wrong with being treated normally.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
October 9th, 2008, 01:16 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure I'd necessarily switch doctors at this point in the game, though I would definitely talk to him about your concerns. At my doctors office having any kind of clotting disorder immediately makes you high risk. As a high risk patient we recieve more ultrasounds and just a little more close eye kept on us.

If you're concerned I'd sit down with him and ask him why he thinks you don't need to be treated as a high risk patient. He may have very valid points that would make you feel a lot better. Or, he may not and you may decide you'd rather switch to a doctor that takes you a bit more seriously...

Good luck, keep us updated!

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
October 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
i know there is risk with lovenox injections, a friend of mine has thrombophilia and has needed them for both of her pregnancies. i know there is a risk of fetal brain hemorrhage with the injections (she told me when she was pregnant with number 1 that it was a controversial therapy) and if i were you i would complain. you are high risk and high risk mothers need special treatment. you are far along, i am surprised your ob hasn't referred you to a high risk ob, even for occasional visits.

if i were you i would stick it out with him (mainly because most ob's won't take patients this late in the game) but maybe see if you can get into high risk ob for a consult. i wish you luck with this.

October 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
victorialv's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, I really appreciate all your thoughts and opinions. I am still not sure what I am going to do, but maybe a few days processing everything I have read will help me decide.

Quote:
Who prescribed you with the lovenox in the first place?

There is nothing wrong with being treated normally.[/b]
My RE prescribed everything I am taking currently. I know there is nothing wrong with being treated normally, and some high risk mommies would actually prefer that, but not me.

I am anxious now with regards to all things pregnancy-related after my 2 mc's and like to know e-v-e-r-y-thing, so skipping tests and that sort of thing makes me really nervous.

Angels in Heavan.
Helena May, June 28, 2007 & Alexander Michael, October 11, 2007
October 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
chlodoll
Them choosing to not do urine samples in the third trimester is pretty stupid. I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. Urine needs to be checked every appointment and the fact they feel its not needed is strange.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search