near miss or bad measure?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Veteran
So Wednesday is the big day for my scheduled C-section...

Last Thursday I went in for my last high risk pregnancy appointment (due to GD and HBP, mostly) and after the ultrasound (thankfully okay), the head doctor asked me about my BP (and GD, which is fine), and I told her since I was off the meds it was steadily climbing. She advised that if my diastolic measurement goes and stays above 100 for more than three measurements I'm to come in.

So over the course of Thurs. until today it did, and I did.

Got to the hospital and they drew blood, asked me what my measurements were up until then. I showed them and the doctor immediately said she'd call her supervisor and it could be I'd be delivering this baby as soon as possible, which would be tomorrow because of the prep.

Then they brought in one of their own machines and took a blood pressure just in case. At home on my own machine, calibrated on my last visit with theirs, my pressure was max 165/106. Most of the time it ran 145/101. On the one they used it was first 154/89, left arm. Then the right arm taken immediately afterward measured 147/67.

The doctor looked at me like I'd just robbed a bank. She said I could stay if I wanted but based on the results of this one measurement if I didn't want to stay I didn't have to. I told her if she didn't think I or the baby was in any danger I'd rather go home and get into bed for the 48 hours or so we have left. She asked the nurse who took it if there were a manual bp machine available and she said she didn't know, nor did she make any move to find out, so they let me go home.

With the cuff size not being a factor - I always ask for the proper sized cuff - I'm wondering if anyone here has had such drastic reading differences on a hospital machine than the one they use at home? And why this is? I just measured here at home again and my own machine says I'm still reading high. I've also noticed the measurement varies depending on what machine they use in the hospital, even if there are two different machines in use on the floor I'm on, or it's a 24 hour machine, which tends to measure me very high.

I wish I knew what's going on...
October 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
I can not tell you why blood pressure would be different on different machines but I know they only care about what their machines say.

But there are little warning signs you can pay attention to along with your readings that would tell you something is wrong

Red face
headaches
blurred vision
dizziness
and shortness of breath.

If your reading is accompanied by any of this you must call in straight away.

Hopefully you will be fine and have your second as schedualled wednesday.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
October 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Daphers's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Daphers
Hi Lisa

Those readings of the bottom number are so drastically different!! I have had high bp for almost 2 years now. I take medication and it controls it somewhat. My last reading at my prenatal appointment was 140/82 (That's a good day for me) Without meds it's usually around 145ish/90ish. I also have some white coat syndrome. I did a 24 hr monitor of my bp some months ago and it ranged anywhere from 155/98 down to 90/67 (the lowest was while I was asleep. I find that different monitors do read differently so it's hard to get a precise reading all the time, which makes it even more fusterating!!

They should have taken your bp again a few times after such a drastic change in readings. Some medical professionals just baffle me!

I hope all goes well for you with your C-section.
Wishing you and your little one all the best!

October 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Veteran
I was so dizzy yesterday I could barely walk, all day. Room spins dizzy. Also quite nauseated. Today too but not as bad. They blame it on the Metoprolol coming out of my system. I have a slight recurring headache every now and then but it doesn't approach severe. I had a red face today at the hospital. My cheeks were both bright pink and my nose felt like it was filling up with blood and swelling. The doctor saw this. I saw flickering stars while raising my arms when I took a shower this morning. The water wasn't too hot. It didn't persist. I have shortness of breath off and on all through the pregnancy but especially the past couple days. I don't know if this is due to an oncoming problem or if it's normal because I'm at the end and her bottom is resting on my lungs.

I would think if I were going to have something serious happen with all these symptoms pointing to it, it would've happened already as these things have been ongoing, especially since last week. They admitted me to the hospital five times during my last pregnancy with similar complaints (HBP, no GD) and found nothing. Twice this pregnancy with the same result.

I asked one of the doctors attending me not long ago and he said a problem like they're looking for (PE) could come on in as little as 6 to 12 hours, and at the end of that I'd be unconscious, having seizures, the baby would probably be gone and my body would be shutting down.

As for my girl, she's still moving around daily albeit more slowly and without her usual strength. She's still strong enough to hurt me, though.

I've reported all I know to the doctors and they've considered it. I don't think I could've done any more to make them aware I might not be doing well and they need to do something if they deem it necessary. Maybe at this point they don't consider it necessary. What they have offered to do is keep me in bed at the hospital for the next 48 hours and monitor me, which means effectively zip. I'd be monitored by a bunch of nurses who barely come in to check because they have many other tasks, the most immediate being attending the women who've just gone through surgery, so it's understandable. When I'm in the hospital I monitor myself, write it down and leave it on a bedside table, and they come in every 3-4 hours and during the shift change and make notes of what I've observed in my file.

Meanwhile if I'm not absolutely certain I'm really, actually sick, my husband misses work because he has to stay home to watch my youngest and his tasks there pile up until they threaten to drown him. I've already put the latest international corporation top secret money-makin' business project 2 weeks off track. (Behold the power of the womb!)

Don't know what else I can do but take it easy until Wednesday morning and hope for the best so that's what I'm doing.

Daphers - Thanks for those good wishes! I need 'em!
October 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
This time tomorrow you will be holding your precious little girl.

Stay well.
Deliver safely

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search