Periodontal disease

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I went to the dentist for a cleaning and discovered that i have periodontal disease which is bacteria beneath my gums and possiably in my blood stream.. I have to have scaling which is deep cleening... I read something today that said this can cause pre term labor..Anybody know anything about this..Would love to hear from you...Also my dentist said that it could be from being pregnant, but because he can't take x rays he doesn't know how serious it is.. HELP i'm really concerned...
January 25th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well i have had peridontal disease for a very long time and well while the scaling will help you that is awesome. However pregnant women with this can have pre-term labor and or low birth weight and other problems with the infant. My children were both pre-term (however they were able to stop that), but they were both low birth weight and have current problems with their teeth. Sorry that i was unable to give you any good advice.

lisa

Thank you SARA for my siggy!!!
January 26th, 2006, 08:18 AM
bright future's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Apparently it's from the hormones of pregnancy that throw off the natural flora of the body. That's why you have increased bacteria in your mouth. It's not the scaling that can cause PTL, it's the bacteria, so the more you can take care of it the better. I'd say have whatever deep cleaning you can get done and be sure to brush a minimum of twice daily (I do 4 times, but I'm neurotic about oral hygiene) and floss at least once every day. That can definitely help.

I'm not sure if it can be reversed, but I can't see why it couldn't be. At the very least you can stop it from worsening.

Hang in there!
January 27th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply... I seem to be the only one who is concerned about this...Both the dentist and the ob are just not that interested in my concerns........I hope it's because they think that everything will be fine...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search