New Here

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Allie_D's Avatar Veteran
Finally got around to posting here. I'm Allie and my husband is Sam. We are due 7/12/06. This is our first child.

What makes me high risk is I'm a paraplegic and confined to a wheelchair. We never thought this would be possible but here I am. I am truly blessed to have made it this far. We also know that our baby will have problems but to what extent we hope to find out tomorrow.

Summer tickers for a summer princess

February 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Veteran
Congratulations on your pg. My friend is a paraplegic due to a spinal cord injury she suffered in her mid teens. She has had two children with relatively few problems during her pgs. She did experience chronic UTI's( which have always been a problem because she has to catheterize herself to urinate) and had to deliver both children by c-section. Hopefully both you and your baby will be fine. What is the reason that your baby will have problems?
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
February 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
Welcome to the high risk boards. Congrats on you PG. Please keep us updated. I will keep you in my thoughts that all is well with your baby.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

February 13th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Allie_D's Avatar Veteran
Here is an update on me, I posted it on the July due dates board as well.

If you didn't already notice my signature, here's one of the good news

The other good news is that she is measuring right on schedule and growing like they want her to.

Now the not so good news, we did get a good look at her right leg. Her leg stops right below the knee, the band is actually wrapped around the knee. We are greatful that she even has a right leg, Sam and I had many images running through our mind of what we would see today. We were prepared for the worst. The doctor gave us lots of hope that with help she will be just like other children. I corrected him though on that, I said she IS like other children. We plan on raising her as if nothing was wrong. We've decided that her physical difference will not make her who she is, we want her to make that decision herself. I want her to grow up as normal as possible, I don't want her to be labeled because of her physical difference if that makes sense.

The one thing that really irked me today was one of other mothers in the office. When she heard us talking about the scan and the results, she made one of the most rude comments I've ever heard. I know there will be MANY more but this one just really upset me. She said "Well I hope you have good help, she will be such a handful to care for since she can't walk". I replied calmly "Not having a leg doesn't mean she will not be able to walk" and took Sam's hand. We left that woman with her mouth open.

Sam had to wheel me out, I was shaking so much. Usually I can get myself into our vehicle but Sam being the sweetheart picked me up and put me in. That is when I lost it, I cried for a good 10 minutes and Sam just held me. When I finally calmed down I told him that no matter what, she will never be a burden to us. How can people be that insensitive. They may think that since I'm in a wheelchair, I cannot care for her properly. That's where they are wrong and that's why I am going to make sure my daughter grows up to know how much she is loved and how much faith we have in her.

Okay I think I've rambled enough today Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and the warm welcome. I know in the coming weeks and months I can find a wonderful place here.

Summer tickers for a summer princess

February 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Veteran
Not only was the woman who made that comment rude, she was stupid! There is no reason why your DD won't be able to walk, run and do whatever any other child can do with the use of a prosthesis. I assume that you are talking about amniotic band syndrome? Obviously she'll face more challenges than most growing up, but I don't see that as a reason that she would be anything but a normal little girl. She'll probably have more empathy towards others which is a good thing. I'm glad to hear that she's on target for development. Enjoy your pg.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
February 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM
**Cynthia**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to **Cynthia**
I know this isn't quite the same but my step mother had her right leg amputated just below her right knee when she was 18 years old. She has continued her life as normal as it ever was. She went on to get a prosthesis and even have children of her own. Honestly if you didn't know, you wouldn't. I know how the rude comments can hit you. I have a nine month old daughter with a compound hemangioma on her right cheek and get comments all the time. Most just from curiosity but others out of just pure ignorance. I am sorry you had to endure that. My prayers are with you and your precious little miracle. May she have the most beautiful life.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search