Short Cervix, 21 weeks, sooo worried

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Veteran
I was at my u/s Monday where they said my cervix was 2.17 cm with some funneling. The doctor told me to stay off my feet but she didn't necessarily say bedrest and when I asked her about sitting up, she said just stay off your feet. I'm scheduled to see the Peri Tuesday for another u/s and to see what he wants to do.

I have a 15 month old at home right now. My water broke with her on a plane at 28 weeks. I spent 4 weeks in the hospital before she was born. About five days on mag and then just hung out. It was awful. I don't want to do that again but I want this baby so badly. I'm 34 so not getting any younger to try again later.

I wish I knew if 2.17cm was really bad or if I can buy some time getting further along. With my last one I went on tons of plane trips, a trip to Disney, was very active. If I made it to 28 weeks then, one would think that by taking it easy maybe I'll make it further this time.

I wish I knew what was going on, if I should be laying down, should I not go down the stairs to the kitchen a few times a day??? I trust my doctor, she has been great but I'm just worried.
February 23rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
BonitaAppleBomb's Avatar ~African-American-Mommy~
Send a message via Yahoo to BonitaAppleBomb
Hmmm...let's see where do I start? (smile) What you have is an incompetent cervix. It's a common condition, but if not treated can cause some second trimester heartbreak. I've had six miscarriages and half of them were second trimester losses due to a short cervix. There is a cure for this which I'm sure your doctor will discuss with you at your next appt. The cure is a stitch place in the cervix called a cerclage. This is my seventh pregnancy and I'm 29 weeks. I would have never made it this far without the stitch being placed. My stitch was placed in at 13 weeks because of my history. Around 19 weeks I started having some funneling (membranes starts hanging into the cervix due to it opening). So basically, had it not been for the stitch I would have lost this baby as well!

You have some 2 plus centimeters left which means you still have some cervix to work with. My cervix has completed funneled (opened) which means the only thing holding my son in is the stitch. I spent five weeks in the hospital and was so miserable, but the dr.s wanted me to make it to 28 weeks and I did. Soooo, I'm finally home and still hanging in! Each day I wake up still pregnant is a blessing to me!

You'll be fine. Feel free to pm me any time...I wanna know how your appt goes, ok?

February 24th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Veteran
Incompetent huh, that's me lately for sure! I'm just praying that nothing happens before Tuesday. I would have preferred to go to the peri right then and get everything taken care of. If you spent five weeks at the hospital you totally know how awful that is. I was there for Thanksgiving and my baby was in the NICU for Christmas. And what a miaracle she is, healthy and such determination! I am so scared about losing this baby. But I have faith in God that he'll take care of us.

And I can't imagine that everything I did for the first 28 weeks of her pregnancy compared to how easy I've been taking it this time that I couldn't make it a little longer. Last time they had no idea why my water broke. I thought it was from the 30ish miles I walked and the water slide at Disney followed by the plane ride... not real smart, huh?

Are you on bedrest now that you are all stitched up? Or can you move around the house? I know I probably won't be able to pick my baby up for the rest of the pregnancy which is hard because she can't walk yet. But it would be great if I could still move around the house and maybe go to church.

Thanks for your reply!!! I appreciate the encouragement!
February 24th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey
I'm 21 wks and 5 day and I had a stitch placed at 17 weeks. I started seeing the peri at 14 wk due to my history. I lost my first at 21 wks last Jan. due to incompent cervix. They put my stitch in as soon as they seen it was 2.25 cm. All of my doctors have said they put one in as soon as they see it's going to go under 2.5 cm. After they put it in I actually went bac up to 3.63cm but as of wednesday I am at 2 cm even. My doc said the stitch was doing exactly what it's supposed to though. I go to the doctor ever week. I take turns going to the peri and to my local ob. I've been on bed/pelvic rest since they put the stitch in and will be until I have the baby. The only time I get up is to shower, use the bathroom, and the fix something quick to eat. No cooking meals or anything. My doc told me not to walk up any stairs. I go to a doc app every wednesday and to chruch sunday morning.

February 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Veteran
Wow, no stairs. That would suck. We have three floors, my room is on the top floor, kitchen on the second and tv in the basement. I've been walking up them but not very many times a day. I hope that if I do get the stitch that I can at least move around the house.

Anyone know realistically how fast the cervix can change? I've seen some out there that say in a week they lost well over a cm but for the most part it seems to be gradual. I'm just really worried that I'll see a big change for the worse when I go to the peri Tuesday. I'll be 22 weeks by then, I hope that isn't too late to do something about this.

It is so hard when my baby wants me to pick her up. I know I'm so blessed to have her but I so want her to have a sibling. My 14 year old grew up alone and it was and still is really hard for her. Can you believe people actually choose to have only one child??? That just boggles my mind.

It is great to have someone to talk to about this, thank you!!!
February 24th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've pretty much decided that as long as this pregnancy goes good and the baby's healthy, this will be it for us. My husband is an only child and he said that he always loved it. His mom has told me many time that even when he was little that anytime she ever said anything about a lil brother or sister to him that he's always been very opposed. Our house is two stories and I havnt been down stairs since is got my stitch. The only steps I go up is the one at chruch. There probably about 7 or 8, it's a small set, and it hurts just to walk up them.

February 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Veteran
If I have to do 15 weeks of bedrest as opposed to the 4 I spent in the hospital before, I guess I probably wouldn't go through it again. Especially if I have to go to the hospital.

Well my Doctor just called. She said that cerclage's are rarely done around here any longer. She said there just wasn't evidence that it did anything beyond what bedrest does. The hospital by me is the fifth largest childrens hospital in the country so I know they are good but that just really surprises me... especially hearing so many of you have them??? I'm so confused.

Oh what fun I'm in for. I know my husband is just thrilled about this too. He is a full time student and has a ton of homework to do every day and weekend. He just said that they have to realize that staying in bed full time is not realistic... and I said only if you aren't worried about losing your baby. He wants this baby as much as I do.
February 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM
marisat's Avatar Veteran
I'm not a doctor, but common-sense wise, I'd just say to try to take it easy as much as possible-I know it's hard with a 15 month old, but do your best! I'd say to just try to restrict your activity/walking around, etc. Just what I think! Good luck and I hope that baby stays inside for a long long time! Keep us updated on what the peri says!
February 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really dont mean to sound rude by any means but that sounds a little crazy to me. Where are you from? The peri that I'm am seeing is at the medical mall at one of the hospitials in Chattanooga. There is a childrens hospital next door to the actual hospital. Both the NICU and Perinatal centers are level 3, which is the highest level possible in the southeast.

February 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Veteran
It's not rude... I agree that it sounds crazy but I actually did find a number of medical journals that said the same thing about the cerclage but they also said that there wasn't significant evidence to show that bedrest helped either. My common sense, if the cervix isn't staying closed sew the d@mn thing shut. But there is risks which is why I guess they only do what is necessary especially in the land of sue-happy America.

I'm completely frustrated... strict bedrest for 12 weeks or more. She said if it keeps going down then they'll put me in the hospital and I think at that point I'll probably lose it.

BTW, I'm from Michigan.
February 24th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I just think about how many time I've heard of people being in the same spot of 'deltadreamland' where the stitch is the only thing holding the baby. I had a leep done in July of 04 is what caused me to have an i/c and at the point (which I do realize wasnt all that long ago) the thought of children was absolutly no part of the near future. And the doc knew that and even then he was saying that I may have to have a cerclage if I ever had kids. I almost had a cone biopsy done instead of a leep. They really didnt expect the leep to have caused as much as it obviously has. Believe me I wouldnt have had it done. The way my doc explained it was that in any future pregnancy I might only be able to carry the baby to like 36wks instead of 40. What I would give just to know I'll carry this one to 36 weeks!

February 24th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Veteran
I am going to ask the peri why so many women seem to get them and yet they are supposedly rare around here. I do know that if the sac is funneling which mine is but not a lot yet, then the procedure could break the sac.

I just noticed Amelia that you are 21 weeks too. Is your edd 7/4? I switch weeks on Tuesdays. I just hope I can make it until 28 weeks when the baby has a good chance.

Oh my gosh, my 15 month old keeps falling over and crying and I know that me not picking her up is making her upset. This is going to be really hard.
February 24th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My due date is july 2nd. I switch on sundays. But like the last 4 time the baby has been measured he's always measures either 4 or 5 days ahead of time. I know 4-5 days is nothing and I've asked them about it more than once and they always tell me not to pay any attention to that, always go by the first edd I was given, which was based on the first measurements at like 6 weeks.
I know what you're talking about, the breaking the sac deal. The morning I had mine done the surgeon came in to talk and go through the 'well do you have any questions' spill. She probably regreted that after 20 mins. I had heard there was a possibilty of them popping the sac so I asked her about it. She very confidently replied "oh honey.... that's less than a 1% chance. that's almost unheard of." That was my main concern at that point was something going wrong w/ the actual procedure.

February 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
by the by, since the question never got answered, a cervix that is 3 cm long or longer is considered normal. at 23 weeks mine was fine, and at 24 i was down to .2 cm, so it can go very fast. but ive been on bedrest since then, no cerclage, and even though my cervix is now gone, and i'm dilated 4 cm, i'm still pregnant at 36 weeks! if the doctors recomend bedrest, tell your husband to suck it up and help you out! they wouldn't tell you to do something so difficult if they didn't think it would really help! i've got a three year old, so i know it's hard, and it's got to be harder when your child has absolutely no comprehension of what's going on. good luck to you!
February 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Veteran
Thank you Jenny for your reply and answer. I can't believe your cervix changed so much so fast. I hope that is out of the ordinary.

Well I've spent all day crying because my baby is crying and wants me to pick her up, my husband, who really is a wonderful man, is on edge and getting short tempered which makes me feel like an absolute loser for not being able to do anything. Logically we both know we want to do whats best for this baby but it is so hard and this is only day three.

When they say bedrest, not necessarily strict bedrest, does that mean you can sit at the dinner table? What about sitting at the table and feeding the baby? Oh I have so many questions. And a big one, how is sitting whether at the table or in bed any different than standing?
February 24th, 2006, 07:43 PM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
those are really questions for your doctor. ask her for specifics. that will actually make it easier. otherwise you will be second-guessing every move you make where you aren't lying down i personally was given a total of one hour per day-besides potty breaks- where i could be sitting up- not standing. i never did figure out what the difference was between sitting and standing and no, it is not ordinary to change 2 cm in less than a week with no noticable contractions. it sounds to me like you have excellent chances of carrying longer, if not to term, then at least to a point where the baby would be much better off. hey, they said i'd be lucky if i made it to 28 weeks, but i followed the bedrest instructions to the letter and i'm almost full term! good luck to you sweety!
February 24th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, day three and it sound like you and hubby are both flippin out. You're lil girls gonna be just fine, I promise. I know hearing her cry sucks, bad. But just think... it wont be long until you're holding her and another one. I agree w/ Jenny about the questions. Be very specific! I've never been much of a ? asker until all this happened but now anything I can think of I ask. I never wanted to sound like an idiot. And ever if your doc seems to be getting irritated, who cares. I have three different docs that I see and one is a peri who is extremely short and has the personalitly of a creek rock and I can tell every time I go into the 50 questions game it just ticks him off but I know that everything I'm asking is important to me and that is job to sit there and answer my questions, just as many as I can think of.

February 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Veteran
Update... today we are doing better, I seem to have contracted my baby's cold but other than that our spirits are much better. I think yesterday my doctor calling and the reality hitting us that I may end up in the hospital again was just a lot to handle. It was hard enough last time but with a 1 year old, it would be impossible. Not to mention the hospital is an hour drive.

I'm lying down as much as possible and hope that the cervix will look good Tuesday. I am bummed that the u/s tech only did the abdominal scan since I've read that the TVU is a more accurate measurement. The doctor on staff, not my doctor, that day said that since they saw it was short on the ab one not to bother with the TVU. My doctor was not happy about that.

Enjoy your Saturday my bedridden, cervically challenged friends.
February 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cervically challenged friends, that's cute.

February 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was at my u/s Monday where they said my cervix was 2.17 cm with some funneling. The doctor told me to stay off my feet but she didn't necessarily say bedrest and when I asked her about sitting up, she said just stay off your feet. I'm scheduled to see the Peri Tuesday for another u/s and to see what he wants to do.

I have a 15 month old at home right now. My water broke with her on a plane at 28 weeks. I spent 4 weeks in the hospital before she was born. About five days on mag and then just hung out. It was awful. I don't want to do that again but I want this baby so badly. I'm 34 so not getting any younger to try again later.

I wish I knew if 2.17cm was really bad or if I can buy some time getting further along. With my last one I went on tons of plane trips, a trip to Disney, was very active. If I made it to 28 weeks then, one would think that by taking it easy maybe I'll make it further this time.

I wish I knew what was going on, if I should be laying down, should I not go down the stairs to the kitchen a few times a day??? I trust my doctor, she has been great but I'm just worried.[/b]

Heya

The avg cervix lenght is 3cm. This happened to me also wheni was pregnant with my daughter. At 23 weeks it started shortening, it was i think 2.8cm, than it went down to 2.5cm, than down to 2cm, than down to 1.5 than up to 2cm. I was almost fully effaced at 34 weeks. and was put on bedrest officially at 25 weeks due to preterm labour. I was on bedrest for 10 weeks, and i had my daughter 2 days before her due date. The cervix can get shorter but it can also get bigger as well.. goodluck and i hope things work out for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search