Just got BFP, and will most likely need cerclage

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My water broke at 26 weeks in October and my son's foot was protruding so he had to come out. Now I'm pg again, and worried about my pending (possible) cerclage.

ha sanyone had a successful pregnancy with cerclage? How soon did they do it? Were you on bedrest afterward? How long?

HELP!!!!!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
February 27th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Veteran
My water broke at 28 weeks last time and they didn't know why. Now I'm 22 weeks and found out last week that I have IC and my sac is already starting to funnel. I don't think I'll get a cerclage but am on bedrest from here on out. There is a support group for IC where loads of women are successful with cerclage's and bedrest or just taking it easy.

Last time were you on bedrest? Were you really active? That group is: http://groups.msn.com/incompetentcer...t/general.msnw

Congrats on being pregnant again!
February 27th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Thanks for that...

the Doc's aren't 100% sure what happened, but IC is their suspicion. My water broke on morning - not just a leak, a GUSH. I had some discharge b4 that which I THOUGH was just leukorrhea (stupid me...) and evidently it was amniotic fluid. They would have just put me on rest, but baby's foot was sticking thru my cervix so he had to come out.

His WBC count was elevated, mine was not, meaning somehow an infection breached the barriers. I dialated painlessly to 3 cm by the time they took my to surgery, so the suspicion is IC and that the infection got in as the cervic slooooooooooooowly dilated. It was a nightmare, and still is. I'm going to insist on a cerclage IMMIDIATLY (ok, soon).

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get to work

R

Agatha Christie</span>
February 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM
First of all, I am so sorry for the loss of your son!!

I lost a baby boy in August at 19 weeks 3 days. They never really determined for sure whether it was due to incompetent cervix or true PTL.

I do not have a cerclage this time. I am seeing one of the top perinatologists in the nation (even though I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to see him) and he's really taken wonderful care of me! My cervix currently measures 2.5cm's at 26 weeks so he's very confident in this pregnancy. I am however on bedrest until I deliver.

Have you talked to your doctor about a cerclage? I know how frustrating it is not to know exactly what happened. They never determined if I had contractions and then dilated or if I dilated under the weight of the baby and then started contracting.

Good luck to you!

February 27th, 2006, 07:47 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
I have a McDonald Cerclage. It was placed at 13 weeks. I am only almost 22 weeks so far. So I can't help on if I go full term or not still wating on that result. But I will tell you the cerclage has made a differnce so far. My cervical lengths have been the best ever sine the cerclage was placed. I have not had to really change much about my life style this time around. The only bedrest I have done so far is one week after they placed the cerclage.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

February 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM
I think I would rather err on the side of caution and go ahead and have the cerclage. I was worried about bedrest, because I really NEED to work as long as I can, but I will do ANTHING for this baby, if I have to lay in bed for the rest of my life!

I was worried when my regular OB said they probably wouldn't do a cerclage until 20 weeks.... I will have to insist on way earlier than that. By 20 weeks I was feeling him move and kick... I was in love, head over heels by then. I like the sound of 13 weeks better. The SOONER the better, for sure.

Agatha Christie</span>
February 28th, 2006, 09:02 AM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
i agree, the sooner the better! they couldn't decide after my first baby if it was IC or PTL, so they decided to take a wait and see approach this time around. i wasn't really comfortable with it and kept pestering them to check things again. they kept telling me to relax everything was fine, but if i had this one would have come at 24 weeks- in four days between one check and the next that my doc insisted i didn't need (even though i was cramping and spotting), i got so short that there wasn't enough cervix left to do a cerclage on. if i decide to do this again, i will do whatever it takes to get something done in the beginning.
February 28th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Well, my appt. has been moved up and I will see my doc tomorrow.... I am going to INSIST on a cerclage. I really think they will do it - my DOc pretty much guaranteed that it will be done. I can't afford to wait and see, I want it DONE. Incidentally, I'm thinking 'girl' this time . Wish me luck, and I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow!

Agatha Christie</span>
February 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
good luck dust. . .
February 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey
I had a cerclage placed at 17 wks. Last Jan I lost a lil girl at 21 wks. The doctors said that is was most likely i/c but wasnt 100% sure. This time they had watched my cervix at the peri every week since 14 wks. At the 17 wk app it was under 2.5cm so the put the cerclage in the next morning. I've been on bedrest since then and will be for the remainder of the time. I also started taking progestrone shots at 19 wks. My doctors are saying that my stitch is in the best place possible and is doing exactly what it's supposed to.

February 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I lost a daughter at 29 wks due to I/C, prom, cord prolapse 12 years ago. Ten years ago, I had a permanent cerclage put in at 12 wks gestation. I have activity restrictions but no bedrest for the cerclage. I had bedrest orders due to PTL/irritable uterus. The only drawback is mandatory csections because it is a permanent stitch. This is my 3rd pregnancy with the cerclage.

FYI: My first cerclage pregnancy resulted in a 9lb 10oz 22.5" baby girl. She also had a 15.5" head. THEY WORK!!

</div>
March 1st, 2006, 05:38 AM
Well I know I will need a c-section , so that's not the issue. THey had to do what is called a 'classic' c-sec on me last time b/c of his position and becasue his foot was protruding into my vagina. So, maybe they will do the permanent cerclage since I'll neeed a c-section anyways. That would certainly help for the future as well.

I want to thank you all for your input. It is encouraging to hear that not all of you are on bedrest. I just read some of the stories to my BF and he was like "Hmmmm.... 27 weeks of bedrest....." Whatever it takes, we'll do it!

Agatha Christie</span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search