Chronic High BP and Previous Pre-E

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hi to all. My first pregnancy ended with the birth of my daughter at 29 weeks. I had undiagnosed and uncontrolled high BP. This turned into pre-eclampsia. That was 8 years ago. I lost all faith in my doctor and traveled 2 hours away to Dallas to see a high risk pregnancy doctor. She gave me positive and realistic information. Almost 2 years later, my husband and I made the decision to have another child. I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and feeling less than positive. I am on Aldomet lowest dose 3X a day. My BP seems high to me, (average 136/84) but the doctor says she is fine with these numbers as long as it doesn't go past 160/110. I really want to get the numbers lower because I know my BP will increase and I am worried about this. I am most concerned about the possibility of Pre-E as a result. Are there any mom's who have chronic high BP and had pre-E with the first pregnancy? What were your experiences with your next pregnancy?
-Mom to Lauryn, a 29 weeker and pregnant with baby #2 EDD 12/19/09
June 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi, welcome. I had high BP during my first pregnancy and afterwards (I am still being treated for it) but I haven't had a subsequent pregnancy yet (we are trying right now), so I can't be of much help. I'm on the lowest dose of aldomet too, and my OB tells me that I have a good chance at avoiding pre-e because I am medicated and they are keeping an eye on me. I would tell your doctor how strongly you feel about your BP - she may increase your meds to help reduce your stress level. I also recommend buying a blood pressure cuff so you can monitor at home and call your doctor if you have a sudden spike.

Good luck!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

June 24th, 2009, 03:14 PM
BCRNJO's Avatar Veteran
Hi there... I have chronic hypertention and had Pre E with my 1st son. I was on Aldomet during rthat pregnancy but it did not seem to work well for me. I am 32 W 3 d preggo now and have been on Labetalol since day one.... it's worked really well for me. Although there are no garuntees that pre e won't occure in this pregnancy I am already doing better than last time ( DS was born 32 W 4D).... I am going to send you a private message ( hope your is turned on)...
As for my BP, so far it's controlled well 130's/80's, but my meds were bumped up at 30 weeks ... I have a cuff at home and check it 2-3 x a day ( if I remember too, lol)...

Guess I can't send you a private message until you have more posts??? ... lol... did not realize you are brand new! Welcome!!!
DS#2 born July 19/09 at 36 W, 6 lbs 11 oz, pre e again.

June 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Thank you, I appreciate the responses. My doctor actually increased my Aldomet today to 2 pills 3X a day. I hope that helps. If not, I plan to inquire about Labetol. It seems to be popular in the various posts I've read.
-Mom to Lauryn, a 29 weeker and pregnant with baby #2 EDD 12/19/09
June 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
momma2princesses's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had pre-E with my first daughter and was on meds...she was born safely at 37 weeks thankfully. Then with my 2nd I had high blood pressure from 13 weeks on...I was on bed rest, meds and ended up still being able to make it to 36.5 weeks! It can be done I think my 2nd pregnancy actually went better because the dr was aware and watched me really closely. I also didnt gain hardly any weight with #2 and that helped...
Suzannah (2.5)

June 25th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not pregnant but have been seriously thinking about it when dh gets back from overseas.

When I was 18 I had toxemia and was put on bed rest a month before my daughter was due.My BP was up alot,and I had alot of swelling and fluid as well and protein in my urine.I ended up going in 17 days early and all went ok after a long labor.

When I got pregnant the second time(when I was 36 and 37 when I delivered) I again got toxemia/pre-eclampsia.My feet started swelling and I was retaining fluid at around 14 weeks.My doctor was great and kept a close eye on me.I had nst' s about 2 or 3 times a week towards the end and was put on bed rest a month before my due date due to my bp and protein and was having dizzy spells and given an allergy medicine for that.I ended up being induced at 29 weeks and had to have a c-section.

Sorry I am no help but I worry about getting it again if I do get pregnant again.

Just wanted to add that after the c-section I was put on magnesium sulfate for 24 hours as well as oxygen too.
And I had a superficial blood clot in my leg after leaving the hospital and had to be treated for that too.

June 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My situation is a little strange because I've had pre-eclampsia twice but not in a row. I had it with my first pregnancy when I was only 18. My blood pressure started to shoot up about 6 months and I was put on bed rest. My swelling got so bad that I gained a total of 70 lbs with that pregnancy. My next 2 pregnancies my blood pressure was perfectly fine and I had very little swelling. With my last pregnancy (age 29), I developed pre-eclampsia again but not until the very end of pregnancy. Once again I gained a ton of weight, but most of it was fluid.

I typically have wonderful blood pressure when i'm not pregnant. Right now my blood pressure is normal and i'm really hoping it stays that way

Tags
high blood pressure , pre-eclampsia , preeclampsia , premature birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search