cervix 8mm at 24 wks, do I need progesterone?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Hi ladies,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience? I'm now 24 weeks and my cervix is only closed 8mm the rest is funneled, I've felt no contractions except occasional tightennings across my bump. The amniotic sac is still intact and the wee chap inside is doing well. I'm over in the UK where the Doctors have a very hands off approach and I was really lucky they picked up the problem as cervical length doesn't usually get checked at all. After reading up on what all this means I put myself on bedrest and feel sure that's why I'm still pregnant. Now I'm 24 weeks I'm off to the hospital to have steriod shots today and tomorrow for the babies lungs. I asked the Doctors if I should be having the fetal fibronectin test or progesterone pessaries or injections as I've read about many other women in similar situations trying to hold off pre-term labour, but the Doctor says that I'm not at risk of preterm labour as I've successfully carried a pregnancy to full-term and this is more likely a 'mechanlical' problem rather than my body wanting to go into labour?? I'm not so sure they can be certain of that! Any suggestions??
I'm holding on to the hope that when in labour with my first little boy I was fully dilated and pushing and still my waters hadn't broken, they had to break them for me in the end, so praying I have super strength amniotic sac material!!
Many thanks XX
June 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure progesterone would help.It's good that you are getting the shots. (((HUGS)))

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

June 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
You might want to ask about getting a cerclage. I don't know if they do them at 24 weeks, but it's a common solution to funneling.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

June 30th, 2009, 03:05 PM
crissy2cute's Avatar Regular

First and foremost, I'd say dont worry too much. Stay positive and just be proactive in any noticable changes. I'm currently in the hospital in chicago UIC for bedrest so I understand wht your going through. My cervix is shortening and funneling and I'm dialating at 2 cm at 23 weeks. Well I was immediately admitted to hospital to await 24 weeks and then I did the steriod shots. Two days after the shots the babies AFI (amniotic fluid) was low at 3.9... but the day i got here it was 9? They were consiering letting me head home on bedrest due to the cervix and fnneling showing no change within the week but then we had this new problem of low fluid.

Personally I think the Steriod shots have something to do with the fluid being low, or the baby being behind on producing fluid. however, the dr. will not link the two and they wanted to do an Amnio to determine a rupture? Well, I refused Amnio because if there is a rupture ( I HAVE NO sypmtoms or signs) except low fluid of rupture and refuse to have them poke a whole to tell me I'm ruptured. So we repeated ultrasound two days later and its 4.1. Now tomorrow I have a weekly ultrasound to determine growth rate and AFI. If its up above 5 I'm breaking outta here, I can do bedrest at home.

However, your situation sounds like you need to be aware but not panick. You can be dialated your whole pregnancy and not deliver. Just watch fo any other labor indiciations.... water breakage, contractions, etc. I dont think you need any drugs. My motto "if its not broke dont fix it". Be a good girl and stay in bed and I'm confident you'll go full term!

they haven even suggested the cerclage and I was 23 weeks when they determined funneling and dialated 2cm??? If i have any more kids I'll probably insist so I wont be on bedrest like this...
July 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hi Ladies,
Thanks so much for your responses, it's great to get support from others who have been in, or are going through similar situations! I'm now 24 weeks and 2 days and just really looking forward to getting to 25 weeks!! I feel quite hopeful that I didn't have an irritable uterus with my first boy and I'm not having any signs of premature labour, I've read about loads of woman who have been diltated and made it really far so I'll just keep to the bedrest and hope gravity works in my favour rather than against us!
Crissy I hope your fluid stabilises, I'm not surprised you didn't fancy the amnio, I'm all for a hands off approach! My Doctor wanted to do a rescue stitch 2 days ago when I was 24 weeks, I asked him what exactly he'd be stitching seen as there's only 8mm of cervix? and the fact he'd only ever done 2 in his life helped me to decide that there was no way I was risking that!! I'm a nurse so I'm only too aware that the Doctor is not always right!! Anyway, hope you get home soon and can at least have some home comforts to while away the hours!
Many thanks, Kate XX
July 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Kate,

a few people asked why tey didnt try stitch with me but its probably cuz i'm dialated too much and its from what i read from an experience on here its pretty detailed procedure not sure I'd even want it. Are you on home bedrest... I'm still in hospital been here since 23 weeks looking forward to my ultrasound today and hoping for some good news.

when i read up on women with open cervix it gave me a reassuring feeling as well. Every week we gotta celebrate!
July 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hi Crissy,
The stitch sounds risky if there's nothing there to stitch, I read it's only as good as the person who does it too!! I hope your scan went OK today, I'm at home on bedrest, which is a drag, but at least it's home, I bet you can't wait to get home?! Here's hoping it will be after a good scan result today!
I've got another scan on friday, so preparing myself for that, at least I've not got any signs of PTL so even if the cervix isn't holding out, as long as my waters don't break my wee chap should stay cosy in there for awhile longer!!
I feel more relaxed now I've got over the 24 week mark, roll on 28 weeks!!
July 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
actually the AFI went up to 5.0 exactly... So I'm happy about tyhat, but not sure it'll be enough to head home....

ill be back later i got a headache
July 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm glad your AFI has gone up, though I'm sorry about the headache. I'm crossing my fingers that you get to go home soon.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks! However, the Attendee came in and was very rude and said tha 5.0 means nothing. that from 3-5 is nothing and that if I was an 8 it might be possible to go home. Basically, they feel I have a ruptured membrane and unless the fluid goes up to 8 or higher I'll be here till I deliver. I'm still trying to retain this all and Im very emotional. Its just alot to take in and then to be unsure and know that the baby may possible come reallly early too... i feel overwhelmed and completely out of control....
July 2nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Hey Crissy,
Sorry to hear that the attendee was so rude, some of them just don't get it do they!! A little bit of compassion goes along way when you've got so much to take in and on your mind.
I'm sorry that it looks like you'll be in the hospital a while longer, but I've read even if you have a leak in the amniotic sac, the break can heal over and the fluid can build up again, it's good it has gone up a bit already, if you can get to that magic 8 you may still be able to head off home, especially if there are no obviuos signs of leaking?
How many weeks are you now? I've read loads of stories about other woman who have had ruptured membranes and carried on for weeks and weeks, I'm sure you're baby is so cosy he'll/she'll want to stay put.
It's just such a worry having the uncertainty, hang in there, XX
July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hi Kate,

How are you today? I'm feeling a bit better today... just took a shower, fresh bed and just relaxing... I appreciate you concern and the info you provided. I too read of many women in this condition that get close to term or go all the way but the doctor acts like its nearly impossible for my fluid to go up. Thing is they have no idea... and then its DISCOURAGING when they are rude and nasty and they dont even know... JUST SAY YOU DONT KNOW... I'm trying to just stay positive and remember that at least she's safe and being monitored in case anything happens. However, I just have those moments...

This board has really helped me.... Congrats on hitting 26 weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kategilmartin View Post
Hey Crissy,
Sorry to hear that the attendee was so rude, some of them just don't get it do they!! A little bit of compassion goes along way when you've got so much to take in and on your mind.
I'm sorry that it looks like you'll be in the hospital a while longer, but I've read even if you have a leak in the amniotic sac, the break can heal over and the fluid can build up again, it's good it has gone up a bit already, if you can get to that magic 8 you may still be able to head off home, especially if there are no obviuos signs of leaking?
How many weeks are you now? I've read loads of stories about other woman who have had ruptured membranes and carried on for weeks and weeks, I'm sure you're baby is so cosy he'll/she'll want to stay put.
It's just such a worry having the uncertainty, hang in there, XX
July 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hang in there. I was on hospital bedrest (complete) for 2 months and you know what that means. So I can relate to what you're going through. Hope you're home now. but if not, hang in there and pray pray pray. I was on bedrest from 23 wks. I made it to 38 wks!!!

But no words can describe how agonizing those days were. I still cry whenever I remember what and how I felt those days. PM me if you need encouragement.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search