5 weeks and no heartbeat

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I am new to this forum so Hello to all. I am currently 5 wks. pregnant close to 6. I received an ultrasound on Thurs. which showed a sac and what they then thought was the fetal pole. My doctor said he was hoping to see a heartbeat but there was not one. There was also no yolk sac. My dr. was concerned so he scheduled me for a follow-up ultrasound in 9 days. I started cramping over the weekend so my dr. wanted me to go in and have another ultrasound today. There had been no growth to the fetal pole, no heartbeat and still no yolk sac. My dr. said that he was becoming concerned that this might be a unhealthy pregnancy. He said that my hormone level had increased by 10x from Thurs. to now. He also said that my sac is growing. On Thurs they estimated me at 5 wks. 6 days pregnant. Today he said they were reading at 5 weeks. He has me scheduled for another ultrasound in 7 days. He said that by Mon. if we do not see any growth in the fetal pole, a heartbeat or yolk sac then we should discuss a d&c. I am a bundle of nerves right now. I am going back for more blood work on Wed. to see if my levels are continuing to go up. I would appreciate any feedback anyone might have.
July 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I am so sorry that you have to go through this. This site: The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Site may be able to help you. I also strongly recommend that you stop in to Pregnancy Loss - JustMommies Message Boards - the ladies there have so much wisdom.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
AliciaF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went to the ER at 5w6d with my 3rd pregnancy due to bleeding and they were not able to see a heartbeat at that time. We saw the heartbeat 4 days later at 6w3d.

However, we did see a gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole. With what you describe it sounds like a miscarriage could be likely

Thank you *Kiliki* for my perfect siggy Follow us on Facebook

July 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All babies are individuals and will grow at their own pace, some don't show a visible heart beat untill almost 8 weeks. Try to stay calm and see what happens, you could be surprised at the outcome.
July 8th, 2009, 03:12 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
Many times you will not see a hb until between 6-8 weeks. You don't always see a fetal pole either. My doctor warned me about this and did not bring me in until I was just over 6 weeks. We did see the sac and fetal pole.

If your levels are growing, I might wait a little longer before having a d&c.

Please check out the following:

Fetal pole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some other good info

1st Trimester Ultrasound Scanning

good luck to you and I hope your doctor is wrong.
July 8th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my first u/s at 5 weeks 3 days and the tech said she saw nothing in my uterus, not even a sac an my baby is now almost 9 months old. I think it's rare to see a hb before 6 weeks.

July 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Thank you all so much for your sweet replies. Only 4 more days to go until my u/s. my doctor called me yesterday morning and told me that my blood work came back from Mon. showing that my levels were still going up. That made me hopeful. However my pregnancy symptoms seem to be diminishing. I was having some nausea which now seems to be gone. This is very odd for me because I was sicker than a dog w/ all my other children. My breasts were also very sore and that too seems to have gone away. I have been doing a lot of reading and I found out that if you have a tilted uterus it could take longer for them sometimes to detect the fetal pole or heartbeat. I do have a tilted uterus. I plan on discussing that w/ my dr. on Mon. As you might be able to tell I am very up and down w/ this situation. On the one hand I am over the top anxious for Mon. to be here and on the other hand I am so scared to see what is on the ultrasound. It has been a hard week and a half. Which is why I wanted to thank you guys. Your good wishes really do brighten my day. I will keep you guys posted.
July 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*hugs* I will be praying for the best!!!

July 10th, 2009, 04:05 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
neither of my bubs had a fetal pole at our 5 week scans but they were there the next time GL

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

July 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I have my fingers crossed for you guys!

July 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

July 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
(((hugs)))

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

July 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
So today I went in for my long awaited ultrasound. It was not good. They saw nothing. That very, very small something that they had seen prior which they initially thought was the fetal pole then thought that it might just be a small nodular tissue was gone. There was no yolk sac either. My sac had grown some from last week, but not a lot. My Dr. said my hormone levels from my last blood test were 20772. He said they had gone up. he did some more blood work today that they are going to call me back on tomorrow. My sac is measuring at 5 wks. 4days. he said if we went by my the dates in which we believed conception occurred i should be 6 weeks i think it was 4 days. After doing a whole lot of reading on this website I told him I was not ready for a d&c yet. He was very understanding and said he thought we should wait another week and a 1/2. He said he has some concerns and thinks we should wait until then. The concerns being; my sac is still perfectly round.He said it has not flatened the way it would if I was starting to miscarry. the 2nd being my hormone levels. he did tell me that those could continue to go up w/ no baby. I did not even make it out of the office like I had hoped I would without crying. After the u/s I went into the restroom to change back into my clothes. there was another woman having her ultrasound in the other room w/ my dr. You could hear everything clearly. he was pointing out to her the yolk sac and the baby and i just lost it and started crying. i want to believe that I am 5wks and 4 days and It is just to early to see anything. However it seems like every visit they tell me I read 5 wks close to 6. I feel like i lost hope today. Now I am just waiting for confirmation.
July 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Were you charting your fertility? If not there is no reason for you to loose hope. Your calculations could be off by up to 2 weeks. If you ovulated late in your cycle and then implanted on the later side it would make sense for your dates to be off a little. And then add in that each baby will grow on there own timetable. The standard measurements may be the rule, but with every rule comes the exception. Keep your head up and keep hope untill you have a solid answer. I am hoping for the best for you!
July 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I am sorry to hear that your ultrasound did not go well. I am very hopeful that everything will turn out all right in the end. I think you made the right decision to not have the d&c, I think you should wait until you are certain. Please keep us posted.

Thoughts and prayers!

July 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to ka2sie Send a message via MSN to ka2sie Send a message via Yahoo to ka2sie
Its not unusal to not see a heartbeat that early, Usually around 7 weeks they will see the fetal pole and heartbeat, you could be off in calculation on how far you actually are, I wish you the best.
July 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sorry your u/s was not more positive, but I am glad you have a doctor who is not quick to dismiss everything.

And as someone else said when you believe you got pregnant could be off. I know exactly when I got pregnant with my son (it was the only time we had sex during a 4 week period due to my kidney stones) and there should have been NO WAY I got pg due to when I had my period and everything. But I have a 2 1/2 year old....
July 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Somewhat.........I was using ovulation tests. We had only been trying for 2 months. I started ovulating on the 9th day of my cycle which was the 30th of June. We tried to conceive the 30th, 31rst and the 1rst of June. I took a pregnancy test on June 13th. It was positive. That was 9 days before the 1rst day of my period was due to arrive. My dr. said that would put me at 6wks. 3days. I hope there is a way this is all wrong. I keep trying to go over it and over it in my head. I also got my blood test results. My levels had gone up to 29121 from last Mon. levels of 20772. The nurse said that was not a lot. She said they are monitoring now more so to follow and watch as the levels come down. That did not make me feel to good this morning. I do not have a really good feeling about this anymore. I keep waiting for some full blown pregnancy symptoms to kick in like they always have by now w/ my other pregnancies. I guess I am looking for validation. however my symptoms have definitely melowed out from the 1rst 3 weeks. Just waiting now and there is almost a part of me that opts for the d&c just so that this can all be over with. I don't think I can though. There is that tiny strand of hope that is going to keep me in limbo the next week and a 1/2.
July 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search