Started Lovenox today-X Posted

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Got a call from my dr today around 1:30 telling me that my Amnio is set up for Aug. 5th and he was starting me on Lovenox injections once a day as a precaution b/c of the MTHFR and Factor V Leiden and . I was glad, but petrified as I have never had to give myself an injection. It takes me like 10 min to prick my finger for a blood sugar (hypoglycemia), much less stick a needle in my own belly. I'm used to being on the other end of the needle and I enjoy it that way!!! So I went this afternoon and picked it up and brought it home. First I begged DH to give me the shot, but he refused. He said he was too scared to and that I had more experienced w/ that sort of thing than him. Gee, thanks hon!!! So I go into the bathroom and get all set up, then proceed to stand there w/ the needle about 1/4" from my belly about to have a panic attack for about 10 min., then the baby actually kicks me, not a flutter, but an all out kick as if to say "Get on with it!!" It shocked me so bad that I just stuck it in and it didn't even hurt!!! I was so relieved, but it stung like heck a few minutes later. Now hopefully I don't go through the whole thing again 2-morrow...lol. So now I'm officially in the Lovenox/Heparin Bruised Belly Club right?

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...xzz0KvETeNGz&D

July 11th, 2009, 07:22 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
As far as injections go, they hurt more if they are cold. I take insulin, and my doctor has me warm it up first by rubbing it between my hands.

Self-injection is tough, but it will become second nature after awhile. Good luck!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 11th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Unlike insulin the Lovenox is at room temp. so no problem there. I think the biggest problem for me was just being on the other end of the needle and having to stick in my belly. (I'm a nurse) DH said he would have done it if it was in my arm or hip, but my belly freaked him out. Actually discovered the belly hurts alot less so today I stuck w/ no problem. I just had to get over my initial fear. Now I'm good...it didn't even sting that bad today.

July 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The first time I had to give myself a Lovenox injection I was the same way. Stood in the bathroom trying to pump myself up to do it. After that I just did it. Did not allow myself to think about it. It was easier that way. Plus I would ice the injection site, I am a big wimp! lol Luckily, DH gave me most of mine.

July 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Like Rebecca said, it becomes second nature after a while. And for me it really doesn't sting anymore. I guess I'm just used to it now. I started it when I was 7 weeks pregnant and I'm 38 now so, yeah, you could say I'm used to it.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 12th, 2009, 10:16 PM
The next day I just went in and stuck. The same today. All I had to do was get past the whole hurting myself thing. I'm not a fan of pain. Once I realized it didn't hurt I was fine, but my belly is bruised already and I've only done 3. I can only imagine what it will look like at 38 wks.

July 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto4boys View Post
The next day I just went in and stuck. The same today. All I had to do was get past the whole hurting myself thing. I'm not a fan of pain. Once I realized it didn't hurt I was fine, but my belly is bruised already and I've only done 3. I can only imagine what it will look like at 38 wks.

My OB always says I look like I was in a boxing match.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
July 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
If you are bruising a lot it usually means that you are injecting too deeply. You may be able to try to put the needle halfway in to get less bruising.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search