Posterior placenta

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2009, 03:20 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
The front wall of the uterus is called the anterior wall, the back wall is the posterior wall. The placenta may also be described as being 'fundal', which is right at the top of your uterus: in other words, the top of your bump.

Whether your placenta is in an anterior or posterior position does not make any difference to your pregnancy - although sometimes when the placenta is on the anterior wall of the uterus (the front wall), it can muffle the sound of your baby's heartbeat when the midwife listens to it through an ear trumpet, also called a Pinard's stethoscope, or a Sonicaid.

The concern comes if you have placenta previa. And even then 85% of previa's correct themselves by 24-26 weeks.

If there is a concern your doctor will continue to monitor your placenta and measure it and it's movement.

I had placenta previa with two of my pregnancies. With my 4 year old it caused bleeding at 15 weeks and they thought I was miscarrying. I was placed on limited bed rest and complete cervical rest.

With my 2 1/2 year old it was an anterior placenta previa and never did move. Fortunately I did not have the bleeding issues (my son gave me enough other issues - LOL). There was a thought that my c-section might have to be the old style (horizontal) rather than transverse due to where the placenta was located. Fortunately we were about 5cm off so I got a transverse c-sect.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search