HBP Questions

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies...I'm Amanda and am currently pregnant with my first. It took nearly two years to conceive this baby (with a loss in December) and I finally did conceive with medical assistance. Needless to say, I'm scared to death that something bad will happen.

Here's my history, and maybe you guys can help me out. I was diagnosed with hypertension in December. There is a family history of early onset hypertension on my father's side of the family. I have been very diligent about being active and healthy. Anyway, I was put on 500mg of Methyl Dopa (two, 250mg pills 2x/day). Since starting the meds, my systolic pressure is normally between 105-120 (but generally hovers in the 110-118 range) and my diastolic is usually between 75-85. Basically, at home, it's good. However....at the doctors....I still get VERY freaked out and nervous about having my bp taken-so it's always much higher. Let's just say, I had a bad experience with a nurse while she was taking my bp in the past, and now I just hate it getting taken and stress out. Anyway, my first question is....does anyone else have this happen...where their bp is normal at home but higher at the doctor's office? It's weird, because at one doctor's office....it's always normal....

My second question is...is it a given that I will get pre-e because I had hpb to begin with...even if it is controlled? What happens if I get pre-e early in my pregnancy? How can they treat it? I'm really very worried ladies...I'd appreciate any stories/advice or tips...

Oh, I should also mention that I'm taking baby aspirin and am on Lovenox injections....don't these help?

Thanks
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

July 19th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure about the baby asprin or the lovenox but I have chronic hypertension and have for years. My Dr is watching me closer for pre-e, but I've maintained good pressures thanks to my meds and thanks to the Bradley classes and the diet they suggest I haven't spilled any protein and I've had minimal swelling too. I highly recomend the classes just for the diet (I am going for natural childbirth too, but the info and the diet plan alone would have been worth it for me.) Do you monitor your bp at home? If not you should be, you are always your first defense if there is a problem. I got a digital cuff at walmart for $30 and have blazed through a handful of batteries because I check mine in the morning, mid-afternoon and before bed. I take my journal in to my appts with me so my Dr doesn't think I'm nuts when I tell him that my pressures are great at home. It's loosely called "white coat syndrome" it's where you worry yourself into a higher reading. It happens to a lot of people and you probably started doing it long before you had hbp, you just wouldn't have noticed. The main symptoms you would want to be watching for will be pitting edema (where your hands and feet swell to the point where you can make them dent with your fingers) higher than normal bp readings and an odd pain in your right side that is pressure sensitive (it's your liver swelling from the extra work.) Your Dr will be watching for you to spill protein in your urine too. Congratulations, good luck and KUP!
July 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the response I do monitor my bp at home with an automatic, digital cuff...I use it many, many times during the day...especially since getting pg I just hope my doc doesn't think I'm nuts that my readings are so much better at home....
Alexandra Eva is here! Born 1/17/10 at 5:55pm. Weighing in at 6lbs, 8oz and 20 Inches Long!
Secondary Infertility Blog*~*http://onemunchkin.blogspot.com/ *~*

July 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
There's actually a term for doctor's office BP spikes - "white coat syndrome". Your doctor knows about it I'm sure. Having HBP does increase your chances of pre-e, but having it under control goes a long way to preventing it.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
There's actually a term for doctor's office BP spikes - "white coat syndrome". Your doctor knows about it I'm sure. Having HBP does increase your chances of pre-e, but having it under control goes a long way to preventing it.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

July 19th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are a higher risk of Pre-E but it doesn't mean you will get it. Most women I have known with Pre-E never had BP problems. I didn't have Pre-E(it says I did on my chart but I didn't), and the main thing is control. I was on heart meds during my pregnancy with my youngest son and my BP never went up(unless the dr I was seeing stressed me out). As long as your Dr's keep a good eye on you and up your meds when needed don't stress too much. Limit sodium, processed foods are the worst so if you can't do fresh veggies then wash the ones from the can. I put my canned veggies in a strainer and run water over them for a minute to get excess salt off. Good Luck with your pregnancy.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search