IBS

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2006, 06:46 AM
sarah1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, well I have had IBS for years (irritable bowel syndrome) and it really worries me, because, when Im stressed or worried it messes up my bowels, I either get constipated or I have diarreah, so therfore I get even more cramping, that is sometime really bad, and makes me think it's the baby... AUGH! anyone else with this problem?? could a bowel issue interfere with the baby at all?
March 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
I feel your Pain!! I too have IBS with the constipation, I take Zelnorm when it gets bad, which i cant take now that I am pg.

I have noticed though, that I do not have the pain that I normally get in my belly. But constipation is still pretty bad as it is for most PG woman. For now, I seem to be doing ok and no great pains. It shouldnt hurt the baby but it will make you feel horrible and lots of pain which could somehow stress baby a little if any other issues going on.

My sis in law is also preg and due in May. She was in such pain from constipation and the baby twisted her bowel somehow, that she had to go to ER and doctor and had to take several stool relaxers to get things moving again. But she is doing well now.
March 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM
sarah1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had much issues with constipation in a while, I suck, I get both, consitpation, and the runs....but... for the past year or so, I've been handling it really well, without drugs even. I'm just finding now, I am getting a little mixed up between normally pregnancy cramping, and my IBS cramping.
May 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM
LilyBean's Avatar Veteran
Hi,

I know this is a super old post, but I thought that my own experience might help you or someone else.

Since the mid 1980's until 2003, I had all the symptoms of IBS. At the time, I didn't even know it had a name, but I definitely had all the symptoms!

I found the culprit was High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)! After doing more research, I found that, sure enough, around the mid 1980's, HFCS replaced other sugars in most processed foods (and that's the same time that my symptoms started!)

HFCS is in almost all processed foods. It's in bread, ketchup, BBQ sauce, cereal, jelly/jam, soda, cookies, cakes, fruit juice, etc. And it's not just in sweet foods, its also in lots of salty foods, like crackers, frozen foods (dinners and appetizers), chips, dips, processed meat (like bologna, hot dogs, ham), etc. I have also found that it is commonly used in restaurant cooking as well.

Over the past 3 years, I've had to be very diligent about the foods that I buy, always looking at the labels, and it has really paid off! You CAN find foods without it, but you do have to read a LOT of labels! I went from ALWAYS having an upset tummy, and spending hours in the bathroom, to now, I have no stomach upsets and no unplanned long-lasting visits to the bathroom. Eating out is still a little tough, but after a few years, I've learned what foods on the menu probably have sugar added, and which ones dont--that helps. When I first realized my allergy to HFCS, I was so disappointed, because there were some foods that I really liked a LOT (like ketchup), and I hated the thought of giving them up, but I have to say, that of all the foods I've found without HFCS, all of them have actually tasted BETTER than the foods with HFCS. The only way I can describe it is that foods with HFCS always tend to be very sweet, where foods without it, have more interesting flavors.

I strongly suggest you try restricting HFCS from your diet for a while and see if your symptoms improve. For me, its almost immediate when I eat/drink HFCS. It probably won't take too long for you to know if its the same for you!

Also, let me know if you're interested in some recommendations on brands of foods that taste really good and don't have HFCS. I've found really great tasting breads, jelly/jam, and ketchup that don't have HFCS--I'd be happy to share!

P.S. Three years ago, when I first tried eliminating HFCS from my diet, I was about 25 pounds overweight. Within 2 months, those 25 pounds literally melted away and to this day has not come back! (Not implying that you're overweight, but HFCS can make most people gain extra weight). I found out just the other day that the reason is that HFCS actually suppresses the signal in the brain that you are FULL, and can cause you to eat more than you normally would (learned that on Oprah).
May 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Larkin121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also just saw this post. I have IBS with Diarrhea, and it didn't have any effect on the baby... in fact, mine disappeared while pregnant. Amazing! Several years ago, I found that lactose intolerance was one big part, but hormones and stress are the biggest factors for me. High acid foods (like Starbucks coffee) or really fatty fried/mayo foods are also a problem for me. Have you tried eliminating any foods to find the culprit? I wish I could tell you how to fix the stress stuff, but that's the one aspect I can't change, and that + 2 times of the month hormonally are a big IBS problem issue for me still.

May 21st, 2006, 12:52 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
I have IBS with Diarrhea, and it didn't have any effect on the baby... in fact, mine disappeared while pregnant. Amazing![/b]
Same here! It was great! But now that I have had my baby it seems like it is 100 times worse!!!

and thanks LilyBean for the tips!! I am going to look into that!
June 9th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have many a bowel problem. I have celiac disease which came from my mom and they misdiagnosed for IBS. The sad thing with labeling IBS is often it is just a name given without looking into a possible cause. Celiac disease is often misdiagnosed and IBS is usually the label. Most celiacs know that many GI's do not go into every aspect, of course diagnosing celiac disease requires a biopsy, but it is worth it in the end. If anyone doesn't know what it is, it is a disease where you can not digest gluten found in wheat, oats, rye and barley. And trust me it is in EVERYTHING! Sadly for me I would gladly go back to just being a celiac because the past 6 months I have had an even worse problem of not being able to digest sugars of any kind. Not even fruits, corn, potatoes, etc. Don't really know what to do with being pregnant again. My stupid Dr that I want to change doesn't want to see me early to monitor my health and nutrition. I am looking into a more personable CNM. Anyway, just wanted you ladies to know that often IBS, just like lilbean was saying, has a cause and a food culprit. And many Dr's just kind of smack a name to the problem without finding the cause and now they are trying the drugs too, which I'm sure help the symptoms, but they don't fix the reason for them. KWIM? Stinks to be the people with problems huh? My Dr's haven't helped me much these 6 months.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search