Introducing myself

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Greetings Everyone -

My name is Barb, I am a mom to twins born at 32 weeks gestation -- Noah in Heaven, Julia on Earth -- and DH and I are expecting our miracle / rainbow baby -- a girl -- this December.

Last pregnancy, I was considered high-risk because A) I went through fertility treatments to conceive, B) I was pregnant with twins as a result, C) I was of advanced maternal age when I was going to deliver them, and D) I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Well, this time around I am still considered "high risk" because of C and D, and was seeing a perinatologist in addition to my OB from the beginning. Now, my perinatologist told me today that he wants to see me once a week because my baby girl measured 32 weeks gestation ... and I'm only 28 weeks along (and that her size was due to my GD). And yah, I'm scared.

Soooo, here I am!
Ready to share a story or two and listen to a vent or two

Happy & healthy 9 months to all moms!

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
September 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Welcome! I am just a permanent lurker here, LOL. How have your sugars been lately? any issues maybe we can help with. Just hang in there, Jenny
September 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Heya, Jenny!

I haven't yet gotten my glucose meter from the diabetes management center (I go Thursday) and for the life of me, can't find where my one from last year is. I *think* it might've gotten lost in the chaos of the L&D room after I was admitted because the perinatologist couldn't find Noah's heartbeat ... they wanted me to test with my own meter, they wanted me to inject with the insulin pens I had ... it was just chaos.

I will begin testing very soon, but I've also been watching my carb intake in preparation. Last year, I was doing 30 for breakfast, 45 for lunch, and 45 for dinner with 15 for each snack / 3 snacks a day. That didn't lower my blood sugars, so they put me on insulin. The dosage they put me on didn't lower my blood sugar enough, so the day they upped my dosage is the day I was admitted to L&D and had a C-section the next day.

More info than you wanted to know, eh? LOL

But I will probably hang around here and post often ... or at the very least, lurk for info

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

September 29th, 2009, 04:54 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Hi Barb! Welcome! I am sorry you are still high risk, but you will find a lot of support here. I am an insulin dependent diabetic, so I am a good support for you, I'm on almost the same carb intake. I'm sure that once you get your meter and insulin Pip's size issues will resolve themselves

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 29th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the high risk board!

I'm Mindy, currently awaiting the arrival of our second son. I recently learned that I have GD, too. It was a complete surprise but I think that I have things under control now. My first son was a monster-sized baby, without having GD. I'm hoping that this baby isn't AS big as he was.

Hope you find lots of support here.

September 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
Nope that is an awesome start! A good tip also I find if that isn't enough, is all carbs are not created equal. I look at carbs and sugars together. I try to aim for a 1/3 ratio of sugar to carbs. SO like something with 5 g of sugars and 45 g of carbs will give me much less of a spike than something with 15g/15g.

My nutritionist told me that. She said that if the sugar carb ratio is lower my sugar will rise slowly and evenly over time, but if it is higher i will have a big spike all at once after i eat. I spent so much time in the nutritionist office when i was pregnant with the twins, trying top find a way to eat enough and still keep my sugars even. I still ended up losing way to much weight.
September 29th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delekatala View Post
Nope that is an awesome start! A good tip also I find if that isn't enough, is all carbs are not created equal. I look at carbs and sugars together. I try to aim for a 1/3 ratio of sugar to carbs. SO like something with 5 g of sugars and 45 g of carbs will give me much less of a spike than something with 15g/15g.
Now this is a good piece of information, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing this tip; I will begin doing this as well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search