Diabetic / GD Moms --- C'mere (? About Diet Sodas / Caffeine)

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Since last pregnancy, I made the switch from caffeinated coffee to decaf and have been drinking it ever since. I only have two cups of decaf in the mornings and that's it for the rest of the day. However, my big (HUGE, ENORMOUS) vice is Diet Coke. Always has been. Giving up smoking a pack a day was easier than giving up Diet Coke. And while I tried like crazy to cut down on it during pregnancy, I still have about 2 cans' worth of Diet Coke a day.

Now that I've been diagnosed with GD, I am monitoring my blood glucose levels and I have found that they are elevated after meals during which I've had a Diet Coke. I have not yet been put in insulin (not sure if I will be), but I am wondering if there is a connection between elevated glucose levels and caffeinated, artificially sweetened soft drinks.

I will gladly give it up cold turkey if this is the case. Based on what I've Google'd, people are split 50/50 on whether or not it raises their glucose levels; some are OK with Diet Coke while others stay far away from it.

What are your experiences? I am ready to end this relationship with my Diet Coke once and for all. Reluctantly, but I will do what I gotta do

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Artificial sweeteners do not raise my blood glucose levels and I know that for sure because I test 10-12 times a day (there's a good reason, I have hypoglycemic unawareness). Scientific studies back me up, the molecules for most artificial sweeteners don't look ANYTHING like sucrose, glucose, dextrose, lactose and galactose molecules, so the body does not recognize them as sugar. It would be extremely dangerous if this happened, but not in the way you might think. For example, in humans, the sugar alcohol Xylitol (found mostly in gum) passes through the body unprocessed. But in dogs, Xylitol is recognized by the body as glucose, and dogs who eat large quantities of Xylitol will often die because instead of transporting energy to the body cells in the form of glucose, it transports Xylitol, which is entirely useless and all of the cells in the dogs body experience systematic catastrophic cell death. (It's very sad.) So if our bodies recognized artificial sweeteners as glucose like dogs do, we would be in BIG trouble very quickly. The only exception to this is the sweetener stevia - it is currently unknown what effect stevia has on the body and for this reason diabetics are strongly urged not to consume it.

That's quite a wall of text I just typed, I hope it is helpful in some way. As long as you are drinking caffeine free diet, I wouldn't worry about it, but you could always ask your doctor.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
princesskate's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just lurking here, but I had GD and I my doctor told me it was fine for me to drink Diet coke

My first weight loss goal is to lose 21lbs, which is 10% of my body weight
October 4th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree . . . the diet coke shouldn't affect your blood sugar. I was told that artificial sweetners should be had in moderation, though. Not because of blood sugar but because of the other affects the aspartame could have.

October 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
caffeine is broken down into sugar so switch to caffeine free and you'll be fine.
October 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
grlpisces's Avatar Dynamite w/ a laser beam
Thanks for all the info and advice, Moms! I'll talk to my doc and I'll also talk to the diabetes educator next time I see her. I knew I'd find some answers in here

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie!

I'm Barb, Mom to Angel on Earth Julia Rose (7*22*08), her twin brother Angel in Heaven Noah (7*22*08), and rainbow baby Sydney Noelle (12*4*09).

*a special 'thank you' to all the blinkie creators for their talents*
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I noticed the same thing when I drink Crystal Light products with meals. I have stopped drinking it with meals and I really don't like the artificial sweeteners while pregnant, but BOY I am tired of water!!!! This is my 8th pregnancy. I usually have GD and I'm on insulin for the 3rd time again. Lost 20 pounds before I got pregnant and thought that would help me avoid the insulin. No, I'm on it earlier than ever. I'm 24 weeks and have been on it for about a month.

Have you tried anything with Stevia? It's a natural sweetener. Just a thought!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search