White American Cheese?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Cherish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cherish
I know you're supposed to stay away from swiss cheese, etc, but is White American OK?

<blockquote>Stephie1012 threw 1 snowball at me! </blockquote>
March 3rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes. You cant have soft cheeses like Brie or Blue Cheese.

March 3rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
Cherish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cherish
OK thank you.

<blockquote>Stephie1012 threw 1 snowball at me! </blockquote>
March 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
American cheese is so processed and pasturized there can't be any germs left!!! That's exactly the words my doc told me!
March 9th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Melissa_A's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Melissa_A
It's really the foreign cheeses you have to beware of. Most cheeses made in the US are pasteurized.

Foods To Avoid While Pregnant

The Food and Drug Administration as well as the professionals in the medical field always caution expecting Moms against eating soft cheeses and certain deli meats. The reason being certain foods can become contaminated with bacteria called Listeria. . If you become sick from Listeria, the baby you're carrying could get sick or worse case scenario –it could be fatal. To protect your unborn baby, eat hard cheeses instead of soft cheeses and thoroughly cooked meats while you are pregnant.
The soft cheese made in the US are usually okay because they are made from pasteurized milk (pasteurization kills the Listeria organism.) Imported soft cheeses are usually best to avoid. Here is a short list of soft cheeses to avoid:

feta (goat cheese)
brie
Camembert
blue-veined cheeses, like Roquefort
Symptoms of a bacterial infection can develop from 2 to 30 days after you eat contaminated food. If the infection spreads to your unborn baby, you could start early labor.
Tell your doctor right away if you get any of these symptoms:
fever and chills, or other flu-like symptoms
headache
nausea
vomiting

To prevent infection, take these precautions:

Eat hard cheeses, like cheddar, instead of soft cheeses during pregnancy.
If you do use soft cheeses during pregnancy, cook them until they are boiling (bubbling).
Make sure the labels of your dairy products say "pasteurized" on the label.
Make sure you consume meat, poultry or seafood that has been cooked thoroughly!
Here is a list of meats, poultry and fish to avoid while pregnant:

Hot dogs
Sausages
Deli meat
Under cooked meat like beef and chicken
Pates
Ready to eat cold seafood
Raw eggs and raw egg dishes
Raw seafood, especially shellfish
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate the contaminated food eaten by pregnant women is estimated to cause mental retardation and blindness in anywhere from 400 to 6,000 infants, and may kill another 80 fetuses and newborns a year, according to the CSPI.

Listeria has been blamed for 2,500 illnesses and 500 deaths a year, and CSPI estimates 1/3 of the deaths involve pregnant women and their fetuses.

Please be very careful about the food you eat, and talk to your physician about the risks of food and food handling and preparation.
April 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM
akafrogs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to manage a cheese department in a natural foods store. All cheese and dairy products sold in the us has to be pasteurized or aged 60 days. And most cheese you can buy will say pasteurized on it. White american is just missing the yellow dye. I even found a web site that said you can even eat domestic blue cheese. I need to talk to my doc about this, I hope it's true cause I am craving it!
April 18th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
when I was pg with my ds I used to eat blue cheese all the time

April 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM
The paper that was recently given to me at the doctor's office said not to eat Mexican style cheeses such as "queso blanco fresco" as well as the others mentioned before (blue, brie, camembert, etc). I'm not sure exactly what "queso fresco blanco" is except that it is some sort of white cheese - if my Spanish is correct.

Amanda
April 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MandaMommy@Apr 18 2005, 12:55 PM
The paper that was recently given to me at the doctor's office said not to eat Mexican style cheeses such as "queso blanco fresco" as well as the others mentioned before (blue, brie, camembert, etc).* I'm not sure exactly what "queso fresco blanco" is except that it is some sort of white cheese - if my Spanish is correct.*

Amanda
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
WHAT? I've never heard of this. Is there a list somewhere of foods to avoid? My doctor didn't tell me to avoid any foods.
April 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Amanda
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/quote]
WHAT? I've never heard of this. Is there a list somewhere of foods to avoid? My doctor didn't tell me to avoid any foods.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/quote]

This was from a list that the doctor gave me, and it said that the information was composed by the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service and the Food and Drug Admin.(FDA). The article was primarily talking about Listeriosis and Pregnancy if that helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search