Lovenox/Heparin Question

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SO I am on the Lovenox until tomorrow and then I start the Heparin til I give birth. I was told after I give birth I will have to go back on the Lovenox. But I did not ask for how long!?!? Anyone else had to do this and how long were they on it?

I assume I will have to take something for the disorder but I assumed after baby came it would be Coumadin or something. I dont see my high risk Dr again for the rest of the pregnancy unless there is a complication.

I am so confused.

Thank you Claire1979!
November 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM
You usually go back to Lovenox for 6 weeks post-pregnancy. That's what happened to me after EJ. Then you go back to whatever you were on before the pregnancy, or you start whatever it is you'll need.
November 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yea I was not on anything prepregnancy we didnt know I had the problems. I did take warfarin though after my 1st 10 years ago because I threw a clot then.....Drs said it was caused from something else....

I took myself off that cause I lost medical insurance and could not pay for the meds or the Dr.

So I didnt know how this would work this time.

Thank you Claire1979!
November 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm also on Lovenox until the 6 week pp appointment. After that, I'll go back on my baby aspirin/folic acid.

November 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
mumto6boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be on Lovenox for 6 wks post partum then back to the baby aspirin and folic acid as well.

November 30th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm on Lovenox till I deliver and then my doc is going to put me on coumadin for 8 weeks after the baby is born.
December 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM
Ugh see I am so confused. My perintologist (sp) is who put me on the Lovenox and who told I would be on it for 6 weeks after baby is born. But I do not go to see him again. So who will make the other choice for me about what I go on after the 6 weeks. I will ask my OB at Thursday's appointment but I dont think she has an idea.

Thank you Claire1979!
December 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I would line up an appointment with your general practitioner for about the 8th month of pregnancy to plan out your post-pregnancy care. I don't have blood clotting disorders, but I am diabetic (Type 1) and I will be meeting with my endocrinologist and GP about 8 weeks before my EDD to figure out how my care will change once the baby is born.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a clotting disorder and have a history of clot. I was put on Lovenox for a couple of weeks post partum and then switched over to Coumadin. If I just a the clotting disorder with no history of clot it would have been 6 weeks of lovenox post partum and thats it.
Do you see a hemotologist? That is who made the call for me.

December 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
No see that is the thing other than the OB and the high risk DR I have not seen anyone about this. 10 years ago I threw a clot but that was a different time. In regards to now I am set to deliver in about 2 weeks and other than the high risk saying I will be on Lovenox again I havent heard anything. Ugh!

Thank you Claire1979!
December 3rd, 2009, 12:48 AM
If they decide to keep you on lovenox make sure you are still getting your pt/inr's drawn.

I agree with Rebecca, maybe calling your GP is best.

I just realized I've been on Lovenox (60 mg/day) for 3 weeks now and haven't had my blood drawn...
December 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was on Lovenox I had my blood drawn about once a month or so. It was a anti something test, I think it had an X in the name. It was a full blood draw, not the finger prick I was used to getting at the coumadin clinic. They did it once I have been on the Lovenox for a couple weeks and then about every month after that. It was just to make sure I was on the right dose for me.

December 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I dont know what they are going to do. I was on 80mg twice a day. Now I am on the heparin .5 twice a day. They wanted me to do a blood draw but I think it is pointless at this time....

I say that because if I do the blood draw tomorrow they wont have the results til Monday/Tuesday. At which time if they need to go up or down they would switch me and then I get induced the following Tuesday.

I just want to know what mg I will be on after baby and all. I guess I will ask my GP when I talk to her and she sees baby too.

This is so confusing to me.

Thank you Claire1979!
December 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have to be on blood thinners forever and of course Lovenox while pregnant. Because I am breastfeeding I am still on Lovenox. Coumadin is contraindicated in breastfeeding. Also, I am seeing a hematologist and my regular doctor for follow-up. I am on the same dose of Lovenox that I was during my pregnancy. HTH, and good luck!

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
December 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a high platelet count and have been taking baby aspirin for a few years now and continued doing so during pregnancy. My hematologist mentioned that I would need to go on Fragmin (Lovenox equivalent) post-partum for about 4-6weeks. It's kinda freaking me out that I have to inject myself daily.

Those with experience with blood thinners...are there any major side effects or reporting clots even while on the medication?
December 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I have been on Lovenox and now Heparin during this entire pregnancy and have had no issues yet. I go back on the Lovenox for 6 weeks post and then onto Coumadin. Have been on the Coumadin before...

I cant wait til Im not poking myself....even though the Heparin is nothing compared to the Lovenox.

Thank you Claire1979!
December 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The only down fall from me being on Lovenox is that the shots are getting more painful for me.
It is possible that while even on medication you can get a clot. When I was on coumadin after my pulmonary embolism we had 2 scares where they thought the PE's were back. And even though I was getting treatment it was possible for me to clot again....
I can't wait till I am done sticking myself!
December 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm taking back what I said about coumadin not being compatible with breastfeeding. I just got off the phone with my hamatologist's office because my new insurance is denying my being on lovenox while bfing because their pharmacist says coumadin is okay. I don't know what the right answer is. =(

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
December 10th, 2009, 02:58 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I did a quick search online and it appears the coumadin is safe for breastfeeding.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Ryan and my FIL said coumadin is safe (pharmacist tech and pharmacist).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search