Polymorphism

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
tatedivine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm currently in the July 2010 DDC. I have hypertension, and have just found out that I have a genetic disorder called Polymorphism. Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I can look to get some helpful information?

Thanks

November 25th, 2009, 08:17 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Polymorphism is a general term, it applies to many genetic conditions and even normal biological traits, it's not a condition itself. In simple terms, it just means "genetic diversity"Here's some links describing the term: * Polymorphism - (Biology): Definition, Polymorphism (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Whatever condition you have is polymorphic, basically there is more than one type of the condition in the population, not one like some other conditions. Many normal things are polymorphic too, like what blood type you are (some people are Type A, others are Type O, etc.). I would recommend that you call your doctor and ask for the specific condition/trait you have that is polymorphic, and which of the types you have. Once you have the specific name, I would be happy to ask my sister for more information about it, she is a genetic counselor and is very knowledgeable about these things.

I hope this is helpful

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
It is very helpful. My report from the doc says: Positive Polymorphism MTHFR. Prothrobin Gene + previous Miscarriages. The doc says its blood clots, so I have to take asprin to thin my blood. And I have to take more folate because of a deficiency.

November 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
MTHFR is a blood clotting disorder (as you know). It is actually pretty common. My sister has it. It is a common cause of recurrent miscarriage. Aspirin and folate are the two most common treatments for both of your clotting disorders. Here is a thread full of resources that may help:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...disorders.html (Blood Disorders)

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

November 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
starrsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have MTHFR mutation too. You should find out if you are homozygous or heterozygous and also if it's the 'A' location or 'C' locations. Homozygous 'A' is the most serious....I'm heterozygous 'C', the least serious.

Missing 2 little beans (Aug 07, Oct 08)
Blog (Running with Emmett)

November 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Its Homozygous. At least thats what is says on the report I have. I didn't know what those things meant. lol Its all gibberish to me.

It says patient is homozygous for C allele at postion 677 [Normal allele at position 677 is C]

Patient is homozygous for the C allele at position 1298 [Normal allele at position 1298 is A]

so whatever all that means, I have no idea. lol

Thanks for the thread Rebecca, Its very helpful. This is all very confusing for me but does explain a lot

Last edited by tatedivine; November 26th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
December 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
My SIL just got diagnoised with this as well... she is also being treated with folic acid suppliments and baby asprin. Her and I see the same high risk OB and she said that it's very common and easily treatable.
December 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thats all good to know. I get more blood test results back tomorrow for more genetic stuff that I probably won't understand, lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search