Question about blood sugars and gestational diabetes

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 07:01 AM
morebluethanpink
I have been told this whole pregnancy that they are concerned about GD becuase I started my pregnancy overweight and have gained 30+ pounds on top of that in pregnancy (oops) .. well I've been feeling ICKY lately. My friend yesterday gave me her glucose moniter. I ate lunch, waited 2 hours and it read 7.0 (126) ate again, waited one hour, it read 8.2 (147.6) .. got another reading later of 7.9 after eating toast. So last night at 9pm I ate a bowl of oats. It was deliberately a carb, because I wanted to see if my sugars would stay in a good range or not. Waited one hour and it was 10.2 (183.6)

Wake up this morning and took my levels before eating or drinking: 6.0 (108) Everything I can find says fasting glucose should be 5.5 or less. I am seeing my dr this morning, and will definitely be asking about this! Going to try to do my gd screen today rather than wait until 24+ weeks. (I'm alsmost there anyways..)

But ... do people without diabetes get these kind of numbers from eating? These seem too high for "normal ranges" and it seems from what I can tell that MOST people (*non diabetic people) would be getting lower numbers even after eating the same things.. does this sound wrong? I guess I'm trying to hold out hope that *maybe* this is normal and I don't have gd and have to go on that restricted diet, of which I would suck at. lol I know only the GTT will tell for sure, but can I get some opinions? Thanks.
December 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
Those ranges are high.

I am now full blown diabetic but had just gestational with my last two pregnancies.

In a person without diabeties Blood sugar should be less than 120 two hours after a meal. When you wake up in the morning your sugars should be less than 100.

In the mean time though I would aviod eating anything sugary... you do need to eat carbs however. Everyone is different but I was told I needed to eat between 40 and 60 carbs per meal except breakfast which needs to be about 35 carbs. Dont' drink any juice or simple sugars, avoid white flour and eat whole wheats.

If your blood sugars stay high for to long it can cause problems for baby... I would call your doctor and tell them your findings... they will probably try to control it with diet at first but as high as yours are, and they will get A LOT worse later in pregnancy (30+ weeks) then you might have to go right onto insulin. Under control everything is fine and you are at no more of a risk than some one who is not diabetic... you will get refered to a high risk OB and will probably get bi-weekly ultrasounds to measure baby.

If you have any questions let me know and I can try to help.. I'm not a medical professional but I've definatly dealt with this enough that I can at least help ease your mind a little maybe
December 1st, 2009, 09:13 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I am a Type 1 diabetic. I'll be honest those numbers do not sound normal. However, they are not too far out of range. I was in the high 200's/low 300's at the time of my diagnosis, so by comparison, you numbers aren't great but aren't nearly as bad as many diabetics. So it seems like going on the GD diet would help you, you may not even need medication.

I would call your doctor and ask for a test called "hemoglobin A1C". That is an accurate picture of your overall blood sugars for a three month period. Your doctor will be able to tell more about your blood sugars with this measurement. I would definitely try to get on top of your blood sugars right away, that's what's best for the baby and you'll probably feel better too. I didn't know I was diabetic last pregnancy until 17 weeks and I was SO miserable. This pregnancy I have my sugars under control and I am so much happier! I'm actually enjoying this pregnancy. And I'll be honest, the diabetes diet is not really that hard after the first week or so. Obviously I'd rather not be diabetic, but it's honestly not that bad.

Also, you might want to switch to testing your sugars 1 hour after meals, that's pretty standard, at least here in the states. A guideline for pregnancy blood sugars:

Fasting:70-90
Post-meal (1 hour): 110-140

If you have ANY questions, please feel free to message me, I was diagnosed diabetic just this past February, so I have a lot of experience with rapidly trying to get your sugars under control.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccabaltimore View Post
I am a Type 1 diabetic. I'll be honest those numbers do not sound normal. However, they are not too far out of range. I was in the high 200's/low 300's at the time of my diagnosis, so by comparison, you numbers aren't great but aren't nearly as bad as many diabetics. So it seems like going on the GD diet would help you, you may not even need medication.

I would call your doctor and ask for a test called "hemoglobin A1C". That is an accurate picture of your overall blood sugars for a three month period. Your doctor will be able to tell more about your blood sugars with this measurement. I would definitely try to get on top of your blood sugars right away, that's what's best for the baby and you'll probably feel better too. I didn't know I was diabetic last pregnancy until 17 weeks and I was SO miserable. This pregnancy I have my sugars under control and I am so much happier! I'm actually enjoying this pregnancy. And I'll be honest, the diabetes diet is not really that hard after the first week or so. Obviously I'd rather not be diabetic, but it's honestly not that bad.

Also, you might want to switch to testing your sugars 1 hour after meals, that's pretty standard, at least here in the states. A guideline for pregnancy blood sugars:

Fasting:70-90
Post-meal (1 hour): 110-140

If you have ANY questions, please feel free to message me, I was diagnosed diabetic just this past February, so I have a lot of experience with rapidly trying to get your sugars under control.
It's amazing how different we've both been taught! LOL I have to check my blood sugars 2 hours after all my meals, I thought that was standard. I will agree though that having your sugars under control, you feel SO much better. I was really sick all the time with my last pregnancy and this one I've been a little sick but very managable. Are you seeing a high risk OB during your pregnancy or just seeing your endo?
December 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
morebluethanpink
Thank you. I saw my dr today and she is more concerned about my high bp, but didn't really like what I was telling her about my sugars either, so I got to do my GD screen today (with a whole bunch of other tests too lol). I had brought my moniter and tested right before the hour was up.. if that reading is any indication, I have failed my test. They want 7.8 or under and I read 9.2 . But I don't know how the moniter corresponds to whatever they do with the blood sooo I guess we'll see. I have to see my dr next week again for high bp anyways; I'm sure they'll have the results by then and can let me know. I am mostly just playing with the machine, trying to see at differnet times after certain foods waht my sugars will read.. my friend I got the moniter from said to check sugars two hours later after meals (what she was told).

I suppose time will tell what happens. I'm mainly just curious right now, and trying to check my sugars to rule it out since I've been feeling so crappy lately.
December 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I'm seeing the same high risk OB as last time, I lucked out and snagged a pregnancy diabetes expert OB even though at the time no one knew I was diabetic. She's awesome, she got me set up with an insulin pump and it is totally awesome.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search