Gestational Diabetes risk...

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
I am a petite person. I weighed about 115 lbs. when I got pregnant with my son (he is 2 now). I am 8 weeks 3 days pregnant with my second child. Today I went for an ultrasound and the baby is measuring 9 weeks. Last scan he was measuring 2 days big. I spoke with my infertility doctor today, and she seemed a little concerned once I told her about my last pregnancy. Last time I was borderline gestational diabetic with my son. I failed 2 test. The last one came back ok. Anyway, I didn't eat much at ALL during my last pregnancy (in fear of diabetic and having a huge baby) and my son was 8.13 lbs! How early can they do a gestational diabetes test with this pregnancy? Is it already a sign I have it b/c baby is measuring big?
December 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
Generally, gestational diabetes develops later in pregnancy (in response to the growth of the placenta, which causes insulin resistance) so it is not tested for until the 22-24 week mark, but you can request earlier testing. I have Type 1 diabetes, which is a little different, but good blood sugar control is the goal of all diabetes treatment, regardless of type.

Not eating is NOT a good treatment strategy. I cannot stress this enough. First of all, the baby needs food, protein carbs calories and all, especially because you are petite. Second of all, insulin resistance remains the same whether you eat nothing or eat tons, if you are especially insulin resistant (meaning you have gestational diabetes) your body will improperly manage carbohydrates even if you restrict your diet. So just not eating won't work anyway. And it could hurt the baby.

If you are very concerned your best bet is to talk to your doctor. If you feel like you MUST do something as far as diet is concerned, I recommend you follow the GD diet on your own, it's actually a pretty healthy way to go. Here are some links to help you:

Gestational Diabetes Diet
Gestational Diabetes Meal Planning
Sample Diet for Gestational Diabetes - LoveToKnow Diet

Everybody needs to eat carbs, even diabetics, but if you follow basic carbohydrate guidelines you and your baby get the energy and nutrients you need without the negative effects of high blood sugars.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
thank you
December 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
morebluethanpink
^^^ agree with rebecca. Also wanted to say 2 days difference right now is not a big deal. I know EXACTLY when I ovulated (was temping/charting) and both this baby and my last measured 2 days ahead right at 6 weeks, when they are nothing more than a blob with a flickering heartbeat. I'm not sure HOW, but they did. This baby I'm carrying gets a little further ahead than that at every ultrasound, but it started at 2 days. And they always say anything under 6 days variation either way is "normal" and no concern at all.
December 3rd, 2009, 05:34 AM
I am now measuring 4 days ahead. This isn't a big deal? My doctor acted like it was. Of course, she is an RE and not an OBGYN.
December 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I was pregnant with triplets at one point, one baby was 4 days ahead, and the other two babies were 3-4 days behind, and nobody seemed too concerned about it. But my blood sugar is under excellent control. I'm sure once your sugars are under control they will be less worried and the baby may no longer measure ahead.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search