Newbie with a question...kinda lengthy

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2009, 08:20 AM
bgenifer's Avatar Veteran
Hi, my name is Breanna. I'm pregnant with #3 and a member of the June DDC. Have questions for you ladies, hope someone has been where I am. With my 2 girls I went into preterm labor. My oldest will me 11 tomorrow and I was on bedrest with her for 8 weeks. My younger daughter is 3 and I was on bedrest with her for 4 weeks. I have been discussing options with my doctor, which has really gone nowhere by the way. He is very conservative. Apparently I don't qualify for a cerclage because I haven't had 3 preterm labors.

So, I am asking if anyone has taken 17 Hydroxy Progesteron shots, Procardia (as a preventative) or had fetal fibernectin (sp?) done every 2 weeks?

My doc is monitoring my cervix every 2 weeks. But really you can do that til the cows some home, since I can still go into spontaneous preterm labor.

ETA Update: Had my appointment this morning with the new doctor. She explained to me that I don't qualify for a cerclage since I have 1 preterm delivery and the other was full term (after being on bedrest for a month). Didn't really want a cerclage anyways. She also said that she isn't willing to do the 17p shots yet. She will continue to monitor my cervix, but this doc will only monitor once a month versus every 2 weeks. So once again, I am being monitored but they are taking the "conservative" route. I don't know what to do anymore. I almost want to move back down south Florida where I know they are aggressive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I made is past the first trimester and now I just want to do everything possible to make this LO stays in there as long as he is supposed to.

Last edited by bgenifer; December 21st, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: UPDATE
December 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM
raisininthesun's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to raisininthesun
I took procardia with my last pregnancy but it didn't really help (delivered at 24 weeks). I'm on the 17 P shots right now and 20 weeks along. I've had them once a week since 16 weeks... we'll see if it works.
December 18th, 2009, 01:34 PM
bgenifer's Avatar Veteran
Thank you for responding. I called a new doctors office and asked a bunch of questions. The nurse actually went and got one of the doctors and she helped a lot. I had my mom (who is an L&D nurse) on 3 way with me so that helped too. I have an appointment with them Monday morning at 830. So we'll see how that goes. Again, thank you so much.

If anyone else has any input it would still be greatly appreciated
December 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I have not been in this position, my high risk issues are different, but a number of the ladies who have visited this board since I became host have had the fetal fibronection test (FFN), and it's an extremely useful diagnostic tool. My current pregnancy started as a triplet pregnancy and the doctors planned to do FFN to help determine how early I would deliver (it's a singleton pregnancy now so the risk for PTL is low).

Cerclages are usually indicated for women who have weak cervixes (cervical incompetence). If you have IC I would recommend finding a doctor who would do it but if that's not the reason you had PTL then it may not be neccesary.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
My doctor suggested that I get a cerclage done, even though I havn't had any preterm labors or miscarriages at all! I have had one successful, full term, perfect pregnancy! I qualified (well to him) because I have had many biopsies, 2 LEEP procedures, and cold knife cone done to my cervix..

I got my cerclage done at 14 weeks, I have had one fibernectin test done because I went to the hospital for pain (and the nurse said that they are good for 2 weeks) and I get ultrasounds done every 2 weeks to check my cervical length and position of the cerclage..

I wasn't comfortable just chancing it.. My doctor said that your cervix can dilate within a matter of days, and like you said checking the cervix every 2 weeks just isn't going to cut it.. I chose to have peace of mind iwth the cerclage, and the doctor I see is a perinatologist..

If you aren't comfortable with his options, see someone else... you should be given your choices, and I don't understand how if you've had TWO preterm labors, you don't qualify!

Good luck! I hope it all works out!
December 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A cerclage won't stop labor, and is desined to get you past the critical "middle" part of gestation from about 18-28 weeks. If your PTL wasn't starting until well after the 30th week then a cerclage would just do damage and scar an otherwise healthy cervix.
December 18th, 2009, 10:47 PM
highriskmommy's Avatar Bedrest Mommy
I have IC and a Cerclage. I only had 1 2nd trimester loss and that was enough to qualify for my Cerclage. It all depends on what Dr you see. If you think it would help you then push for it, maybe even find a new Dr.

I also take the P17 shots weekly. These help TONS for me! I started my injections at 16 weeks and will get them till 34/36 weeks. They not only help keep away contractions but also relax the uterus. If I were you I would really push for these!!!

I also get TVU every 2 weeks to check my Cervical Length and to see how my Cerclage is holding up. Every 2 weeks is a long time to wait but it seams to kinda be standard around my area. They will only check me sooner if my cervix starts to change or I start having issues (like contractions or pressure ect.) If they notice a big change in my CL they will see me once a week. So far I have held at 3cm with no dilation for about 6 weeks so they see no need to check me sooner.

There is "time frame" in which the cerclage should be placed for a preventative measure. Im not sure when that is but I have herd of people getting them as late as 16w and a few days. The sooner you get one the better because it helps reduce some of the risks involved. They can also do "Emergency Cerclages" and even though they do still work, they do not have a higher success rate then a "Preventative Cerclage" Usually emergency Clerclages are put in once a cervix has started to change.

I have also had a few FFN tests. Its pretty simple, they do a quick swab and send it to the lab. I always get my results within an hour. My Dr said that the negative test result is VERY accurate but a positive test result can be iffy. The test can tell you if your going to go into labor within the next 2 weeks. I am allowed to just request them for my own sanity but they will always do them if I am having any contractions or pressure ect.

I would also keep a close eye out for infections as they can cause PTL. Maybe request a swab every once in a while just to make sure. Also bedrest when you can, It sucks but it helps. Most Dr's dont tell you to rest until things start to get bad but it cant hurt anything to do it sooner.

Good Luck and congratz on being in the 2nd tri.
December 19th, 2009, 06:12 AM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first pregnancy ended with a preterm delivery. Luckily he is a healthy 2 year old. I didn't have any issues the first time around. I just woke up one day and my water broke.

This time around they are watching me closely for preterm labor. I've already had 2 episodes of timeable contractions (that lasted for almost 2 hours each time). So I've already been to L&D to get monitored. Luckily, I'm not dilated any at this point (24 weeks). I was put on modified bedrest with orders to work from home (which I am allowed to do). Unfortunately, I think that is about to change to full bed rest with no work allowed. I have been geting the p17 shots since week 16 and my body doesn't really like them. I haven't had any issues with the shots but my body just isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing. I had a FFN (the swab) test yesterday and it came back negative. They are also doing a u/s every 2 weeks to check cervix length.

I'm glad your doctor is being proactive! Good luck keeping that baby in!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search