Had a very big diabetes scare this morning

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
So this morning I was a little low after breakfast. My throat was sore, so I had a small popsicle before my morning nap. When I woke up, I realized something was VERY wrong.

I have hypoglycemic unawareness, not uncommon in insulin dependent diabetics, so most times I can't really tell that I'm low. But I knew as soon as my eyes opened that I was VERY low. I stumbled to the kitchen, insulin pump/meter in hand, and grabbed a juice box. I was so sick I couldn't even stand to drink it, I had to lay on the kitchen floor. As I was drinking I tested, I was at 43. I stumbled to the living room with another juice box and realized I was in danger of passing out. I didn't have the strength to call out to my sleeping husband, I had to call his cell phone from mine!

I tested again and was at 39 . I have been that low once before, but my unawareness was worse then and I couldn't feel it. My husband brought me tons more sugar. He almost got my emergency glucose shot, but it's only needed if I'm unconscious and unable to eat. Eventually my sugar came up to normal.

I have never been so scared in my life. I have never felt like that during a low. All I could think is that I would pass out and my baby would die - my first child died because I was an undiagnosed diabetic and constant high blood sugars damaged his kidneys. I just kept thinking over and over that I was going to lose this little man to diabetes too

And this was all my fault. If I'd had a yogurt instead of a popsicle, I wouldn't have crashed like that. How could I be so stupid?

Thanks for letting me vent, other than my DH no one I know really understand how scary that was, they don't seem to realize that diabetics have to be careful of low blood sugar too.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

December 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rebecca I am sorry that happened...

I am hypoglycemic and lately with me getting D5 LR fluids (5% dextrose, lacated ringers) my blood sugar crashes a half hour after the 2nd bag.

I usually start to sweat and shake really bad and have to lay on the floor with my stomach on the tile. If I am home by myself Ryan runs and finds a candy bar or something and then I eat an apple and peanut butter. But last time it happened I thought I was going to die. I cut an orange(while on the floor) and almost cut off a finger cuz I was shaking so bad...

It is a really scary thing... each time I have been unable to check my blood sugar.
December 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh dear i am so sorry My mom had medicated diabetes not in the pregnancy but anyway, she has hypoglecemic unawareness constantly. It was scary and i was the only one left to bring her back to the light and i was young very very young........ So i know how bad it is. I had myself gestational diabetes but i went on unmedicated with exercise and diet. I just wanted to tell you that my GYN and RE were VERY tough on me with my GD and told me that baby can have permanent damage if not death with both HIGH and LOW numbers. They had scared the life out of me. I was careful every second of the day after i found out and as i remember the only high i got was only ONE time 165, all the rest were within range high or low. I was afraid i was gonna kill my daughter by not being careful. It paid off though the patience and hard work........the doc told me to check blood sugar 3 times a day, i checked 15 times a day, in the end i had no fingers to check on and i was trying fingers on foot .....they were sore and numb from all those times i punched the holes in them I got up at 6 EVERY day, ate light breakfast and then walked 3 khm (very painful and slow in the end) in order to bring down my diabetes because i didn't use medication. So i was sleep deprived way sooner than she was born..... BUT she was born on target (weight and height) albeit sooner because of another complication (not GD related), scored 9/10 apgar and had no other issues related to diabetes...... So i guess what i am saying is that you need to be VERY careful and make a lot of sacrifices but know that your baby is gonna come out perfect

I wish you the best

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Last edited by Ellemphriem; December 26th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.
December 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Oh Rebecca that is so scary I am so sorry.

Glad DH was there to help you and you are doing better now.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search