Cervix length question

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Veteran
Hi, I am currently 20 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have also had 2 1st trimester miscarriages. About 10 years ago I had a leap which caused my cervix to be shortened. I then carried my son to term and had no problems with that pregnancy. I was never put on bedrest or anything. That was 4 years ago and now I am pregnant and have a new dr. He measured my cervix at 17 weeks and it was 3.6 which they were not worried about. At my 20 week appt. yesterday I did not have another ultrasound and he did not seem concerned with my cervix. My next appt. is in 4 weeks. Do any of you know how long the cervix should be and when they would start to worry? I am wondering if I should ask them to measure it before the next appt. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
December 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
4 cm is average, and below 2.5ish (depending on the Dr) is cause for concern. But anything above 3 cm is usually considered ok.
December 31st, 2009, 09:53 PM
highriskmommy's Avatar Bedrest Mommy
My Dr isn't worried unless I get to less then 2cm or start to funnel etc. Every Dr is going to go by different numbers though. A lot of things come into play when checking CL. For example, You could be at 2cm for weeks and be 100% fine as long as you are not funneling, having contractions etc. They also go by how fast/slow the length is changing.

I started out with 5cm of cervix and now at 27w5d I only have 3cm (2.8cm with pressure). In my case I have lost 2cm in length but it took many weeks to do that and I'm not having any other signs of labor so they are not concerned. I do get checked bi-weekly though!

Since you did have a leap done I would push to be checked more often. Maybe they are not too concerned since you have had a normal pregnancy since the leap but I would still push for it since every pregnancy can be different.
January 3rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
lilflower
Since you delivered full term after your LEEP procedure they aren't going to be super concerned until you start to exhibit signs of labor. 3.6 is a GREAT number!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search