Ectopic Pregnancy Confussion

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I really appreciate all input about what I' m about to say. Sorry so long but wanted to be very detailed. My last menstrual cycle first day was betwwen November 16-18, 2009 cannot remember exactly. I know for a fact that I ovulated on Dec. 4, 2009. I took pregnancy test on 12/25/2009 it came out positive. I had my first dr. appointment on 1/15/2010. The doctor could not see anything on the vaginal ultrasound. He told me it's more than likely an ectopic pregnancy. I was so shocked I have two previous successful pregnancies. Then I assume I got pregnant around the date I ovulated making me about 6 weeks. Not sure? Thanks for any advice. He also sent me for blood work I'll be getting results on 1/18/2010. Then I have to go in tom. and take the test and must wait until Tues. for results. I do not have any symptoms such as bleeding, pain etc. SOOOOO Worrried......

Last edited by countrycutenezz; January 17th, 2010 at 04:37 PM.
January 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Hi hun, I have experienced one ectopic pregnancy, and it was after a successful 42w pregnancy, with my DD (& two losses)

It is IMPORTANT that your doctor gets onto this right now, and investgates further, because if it is an ectopic pregnancy, you literally have a ticking time bomb (most likely) in your fallopian tube. Has your doctor organised HCG monitoring? One of the indicators of an ectopic is that the hcg levels rise, but not properly.. (ie they don't double every 48-72 hours).

This is what the situation was like with my ectopic:
Sept 22nd - got a BFP

Sept 23rd - period arrived, so I presumed I'd had a chemical pregnancy

Oct 4th - did another pregnancy test - and was shocked that it was positive. Same day I had an u/s and they couldn't see anything - I should have been around 5w4d by then. Had first hcg level taken

Oct 6th - had second hcg level taken, my level had only increased by 100 - and it should have increased by at least 300

Oct 8th - had third hcg level taken, again the level hadn't risen properly

Oct 11th - had another ultrasound should have been 6w4d by then - again they saw nothing.

Oct 18th - had some spotting, so believed I was starting to miscarry

Oct 19th - went to my doctor about bleeding, he sent me up to the hospital to have a rhogam shot (because I'm rhesus negative), and also to have more hcg levels done, and to investigate possible ectopic pregnancy - hcg level came back & it had fallen since last one, but not a lot - was told to come back the following day for u/s

Oct 20th - went back to hospital for u/s - was 7w6d by this point, and again they saw NOTHING.. and by this point they def. should have. Was told to come back the next day for another hcg level, and be prepared for the possibility of having exploratory surgery, to determine where the pregnancy was, if my hcg levels hadn't fallen sufficiently

Oct 21st - went back to the hospital, they did my hcg level - and it had RISEN again, so it was determined that I had a 'pregnancy of unknown origin' & was admitted to hospital, for surgery. They found the pregnancy in my right fallopian tube, and had to remove the whole tube, because they couldn't remove the pregnancy without damaging the tube, so much that it'd probably cause problems if I tried to get pregnant again...

The whole time, I presumed I didn't have an ectopic pregnancy, because I had NO PAIN, WHATSOEVER... and the only bleeding I had, was a 'period' after my first BFP (that lasted maybe 3 days), and then one tiny episode of spotting at what would have been around 7w4d. I presumed i would be in excruciating pain, that I would know something was wrong. the only symptom I had was a little bit of backpain, but I suffer from backpain on & off anyway, so didn't really think too much about it.

I'm not telling you all of this to scare you, just to let you know that an ectopic pregnancy isn't always as 'obvious' as the medical profession make us think it is.. the lady who did my u/s @ the hospital, said that only a tiny percentage of ectopic pregnancies are visible on u/s, and too often women are told to "come back in a week"... but in an ectopic pregnancy a week can make a huge difference... It is rare for an ectopic pregnancy to make it to 8w without rupturing - and when a rupture does occur, it is very dangerous for the woman....

If you want to talk any more about this, please feel free to PM me, okay??

January 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Thanks for such a detailed response. I really appreciate it. I had my first appointment on 1/15/10 I had my first set of bloodwork but won't get those results till 1/18/10. Then on 1/18/10 I will have the second set of bloodwork. I will get those results on 1/19/10. But on 1/18/10 I have an appointment with for a second opinion. So I plan on hopefully having some type of outcome on 1/18/10. I am really concerned and worried especially since I haven't had any syptoms. I haven't had any bleeding whatsoever since my LMP during November 2009. This pregnancy feels exactly laike my last one.

I'm new to the board and I don't know how to PM anyone.
January 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I am glad that your doctor is getting on top of the blood tests - I think that's really the best way for them to determine what is going on - especially if ultrasound is proving useless!!!! If you start bleeding heavily, and especially if it is accompanied by abdominal pain, back pain, or shoulder pain - head straight to your local ER... You can get shoulder pain as a symptom of ectopic pregnancy & that really surprised me!!!!!

I know how horrible it is waiting for answers, you feel like you're in limbo or something.... I had 4 weeks between my first + pregnancy test, and eventually having my surgery for my ectopic, and those 4 weeks were some of the worst of my life, because I had no idea if I was pregnant, if I was miscarrying, if it was ectopic... nothing!

January 18th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Hey mumtogab&bean,
I got my first set of test results back the hcg levels are 27,652 and the progestrone level is 11.5. If you have any idea what that means I greatly appreciate any info.

Thanks
January 18th, 2010, 11:47 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry you are going through all this (((HUGS))) I too have had an ectopic loss after having a perfectly healthy little girl born at 38w.

Your blood work numbers look pretty good! 27,652 is a great number.

Typically with ectopic pg your numbers start off normal but do not double and rise at an expected rate.

With my ectopic my 1st blood draw was 482 than 2 days later it was barely 500. I was 5w 6d when the ectopic was found via u/s.

If your doctor thinks you have an ectopic that is good that he is monitoring your beta levels. But I would request that he send you sowhere for a high level u/s just to check your tubes and such to make sure it is not ectopic.

Like Emma said an ectopic is a ticking time bomb. I did not have any pain with mine. Just some bleeding. I thought I was having a m/c (I have had 2 previously). Turns out the blood was from my abdomen where I was bleeding internally. When I had my surgery the doctor removed about 100cc's of blood from my belly and this was after I had already been bleeding for 4 days so who knows how much blood I really lost.

I don't mean to scare you but it is important that you be proactive. And if you feel your doctor is moving to slow...GET A 2ND OPINION!!!

January 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information because I feel completely lost at this point. Today I did go in for a second opinion. The dr. done a vaginal ultrasound and found a sac whereas on friday the other dr. said he couldn't find anything. He assumed it was ectopic. The new dr. today tested to see what my hcg number is for today. I go back on Wed. for the 2nd test. So I am holding out hope and really PRAYING.
January 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM
it's great that they saw a sac!!!!

January 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is fantastic news!!! A sac is wonderful and the fact that your beta was so high is a really good sign. I hope your next set of labs go as well. KUP

Honestly at this point I think your 1st doc was a butt head to scare you like that!!! I am very glad you got another opinion.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search