Mommies w/compromised breathing-First timer needs advice

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
LillyAinwe's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there! I am 11wks along with my first, and I have some concerns regarding my lil one's oxygen supply. A few years ago, I lifted something incorrectly at work, and it caused some serious issues with my ribs / thoracic spine. It didn't hurt when I lifted it, but I did feel my shoulder like, pull out. Well I was a big dummy and didn't do anything about it, (and didn't put in a report )... I figured it'd hurt if something was 'really' wrong.

2 years after this accident I could not breathe. I was gasping for air all the time. I could not sleep, because I had to focus on my breathing. It took the doctor a while to figure it out, but eventually he found the kink in my spine and the twisted ribs. After another 2 years of painful therapy, I no longer gasp for air, but definately am not at full lung ability. My first three ribs on my right side do not move to allow breathing, so the upper part of my lung does not work on that side. (its horrible to feel like you need to breath in deep but just can't do it...)

I am worried that when the lil one gets further along in weeks, that I'll have hard time breathing for us once I run even lower on Lung Cap. I don't want the lil one to be deprived of oxygen!

Is it true the placenta stores oxygen?

Does anyone have any positive stories of overcoming breathing issues in pregnancy or have ideas on how to cope with this issue? I'm scared.
January 20th, 2010, 04:47 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I don't have any personal experience with situations like yours, but I did a little research and here's what I found.

There are cases of women with only one lung having successful pregnancies. There are at least 10 cases (reported in France) of women having successful pregnancies after lung transplantation, and it is rare for an individual to have a normal lung capacity after transplantation. Given the fact that these women had successful pregnancies with either only one lung or restricted lung capacity due to transplant, it seems likely that you can have a successful pregnancy too.

It looks like elevated blood pressure and preterm labor/delivery are the biggest risks in these situations, though all of the cases I found delivered after 33/34 weeks and the babies were born healthy.

I don't think the placenta is capable of storing oxygen. Oxygen is transmitted quite well across the placenta but as it is used immediately it is not stored.

Being high risk, you will be closely monitored, and supplemental oxygen is available if your doctors become concerned later in pregnancy (the more oxygen you breathe, the more is available to your baby).

And congrats on being pregnant!!!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

January 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I have no personal experience, but wanted to welcome you to the board, and say congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm sure your ob will be able to clarify these issues for you more - definately talk to him/her about it at your next appt!

January 21st, 2010, 07:32 AM
LillyAinwe's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you Rebecca for your reply! I would gladly cart around an oxygen tank at the end if I had too! I imagine I'm 60-75% lung capacity, so that's better then just one lung I suppose. I even read up a bit more and found that your body makes relaxin as your pregnant, so maybe I can do some more therapy while that's in my system loosening stuff up.... and use that extra relaxin increase finally get my spine and ribs 'back in place'.
January 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
first welcome and congrats!!! I don't have personal experience with what you're going though - but i'm sure they are going to closely closely monitor you and if you need supplemental oxygen they put you on it right away. I hope some more therapy will help!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search