Level II US...(x-post)

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Margaret
Hi,

Today I had a Level II US. The tech and doctor said everything was measuring fine and there were no soft markers for birth defects. However, there were two bright spots on the heart which may or may not be related to Down's Syndrome. Right now, the only indicators are the spots. The hands were open, the lips are not cleft and the head size is normal.

His recommendation is an Amniocentesis for further testing (we wanted to avoid that as an option). However, I would like to be prepared to parent a child with special needs.

Also, I am scared because I am estranged from my family. Dh's aunt had a son with DS and several people in the family have commented how she should have "taken care of it." I was already worried how they would treat my baby just because they don't like me. Now, I'm saddened that my baby won't have any grandparents to love him or her.

We go tomorrow for follow-up with my OB/GYN. Are there any specific questions I need to ask or something I should know about? I started researching online, but would like to hear from anyone who has been through this as well.

Thanks,
Margaret
March 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
thisgoodnight's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also have a Level II u/s and Amnio scheduled for tomorrow since I tested positive for Spina Bifida (1:27 chance). As for finding out before birth, I think it's a good idea, this way they will know to take several precautions before and during the birth to protect your baby.

With the family situation, I kind of know what you mean. My father made it clear that I shouldn't have a baby that could have problems. He said "You don't want to deal with that." But I'm keeping this baby no matter what the rest fo the family thinks. This is MY baby, not theirs.

As much as it may seem that they would ignore the child, I'm positive that once they see the little peanut for the first time it will all change. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to PM me.
WTTC #3 July 2010
March 10th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Margaret
Hi Skytza,

Thanks for responding. I'm sorry you are going through this too and I agree it's better to have too much information than not enough.

I'm sorry your father made that comment. Sometimes, I don't believe people actually listen to the things that come out of their mouths. I'm hoping your family will change their hearts after your baby is born. I think it does work in some families. I'm not as hopeful about my in-laws because there is already a DS baby they basically ignore. Like you, I will love and cherish my baby no matter what anyone else thinks.

If you ever need to talk, please feel free to PM me too. We are going to hang in there together, okay?

Take gentle care,
Margaret
March 11th, 2005, 05:11 AM
thisgoodnight's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Margaret

My fiancee just told me last night that he "doesn't want an abnormal kid." So it looks like he's going to be a problem too. I'm praying that our babies are both healthy, and if not, at least their mommies will still love & cherish them. Keep me updated with your situation. Are you going to have the amnio? I'll let you know how mine goes today. I'm absolutely terrified.
WTTC #3 July 2010
March 11th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Margaret
Oh Skytza,

I'm so sorry he said something so insensitive. It never ceases to amaze me some of the things people let come out of their mouths. Do you think he's just scared right now or really has no intention of being supportive?

Either way, you are NOT alone. I don't plan on not being here for you and although I know it's not the same, I promise to not let you worry by yourself. I've always heard that only really special people get to have special needs children so I'm believing if that is what you and I will face, our children are in good hands.

I meant to tell you before but didn't know if I was pushing too much information on you. My husband's niece has SB and she is a lovely girl. She has to have surgeries on her back every few years, but she is progressing nicely. She even won a horse racing contest last Summer and plays tennis. SB comes in many different levels and it's usually not the complete paralysis type. I know that doesn't completely ease your mind, but I hope you get some comfort knowing that.

I am undecided on the Amnio. The whole point of having the Level II was to avoid the Amnio. I was told I might not ever be able to have children, so I'm scared to take even a small risk of harming this pregnancy. I knew there were increased risk as soon as I tested positive and I am prepared for that. I am not suggesting it's not scary, because it really, really is. I just have a sense of peace in knowing, if nothing else, I have perseverence. I think not having family support or strong friendships throughout my life has helped me to learn creative and resourceful ways of coping with the hard knocks.

I know I can tell you a billion times not to worry about today. I also know it will bounce off your brain as you struggle to push all the scary thoughts away while they force themselves on you over and over again. All the possibilities of what could happen, implications of what it all means, future of your life as you now know it, your very identity is all being questioned in a space of a few weeks while we grapple with this kind of news. It's okay to be scared. In fact, I would be more worried about you if you weren't scared. Just remember, today is probably one of the hardest days of your life so far. Once today is over, tomorrow will be a new opportunity to add this day as "accomplished!" Whatever may come from today, you know you walked through it in spite of the fear.

I'm sending you all my positive energy and good thoughts. I'm closing with one of my all-time favorite quotes. I printed it out and I keep a copy in my car. Although we are many miles apart, please know I am with you in spirit. You are not alone. Please let me know how you are doing, okay?

Take gentle care,
Margaret

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally posted by skytza@Mar 11 2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Margaret*

My fiancee just told me last night that he "doesn't want an abnormal kid." So it looks like he's going to be a problem too. I'm praying that our babies are both healthy, and if not, at least their mommies will still love & cherish them. Keep me updated with your situation. Are you going to have the amnio? I'll let you know how mine goes today. I'm absolutely terrified.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
March 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Veteran
Try to relax.

One off measurement is not a strong case for Down's. In severe Down's they should see a number of abnormal measurements of the head, palette, nasal bridge, hands, kidneys and heart. One of these is not a good case to say it is likely Down's. Only that it is more than if all the measurements were perfect.

Your baby might have a mild heart condition or nothing wrong at all instead. I hope you can get some answers and relax the rest of your pregnancy after.
March 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Margaret
Hi,

I'm more relaxed now. I think the main barrier was I had never met the doctor prior to that appointment. His somber voice and cold statistics did nothing to reassure us. Also, at that point, nobody had told me the other measurements were okay. I had to ask if everything else looked okay which made the answer of "yes" seem placating.

I met with my regular clinic doctors and feel more confident about things. My understanding is the heart is structually fine and these markers are visible in equal amounts of children with DS and without it. We are just taking one day at a time and are ready to deal with whatever will be.

Thanks!
Margaret

Quote:
Originally posted by OnceAgain@Mar 12 2005, 10:17 AM
Try to relax.

One off measurement is not a strong case for Down's.* In severe Down's they should see a number of abnormal measurements of the head, palette, nasal bridge, hands, kidneys and heart.* One of these is not a good case to say it is likely Down's.* Only that it is more than if all the measurements were perfect.

Your baby might have a mild heart condition or nothing wrong at all instead.* I hope you can get some answers and relax the rest of your pregnancy after.
[/quote]
March 17th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey sweetie! I'm still praying for you guys!! *hugs*
March 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Margaret
Prayers and hugs from a megamommy! Woo Hoo. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisteal@Mar 17 2005, 11:03 AM
Hey sweetie! I'm still praying for you guys!! *hugs*
[/quote]
March 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hehe you're so cute hun Do you have a scanner? I'd love to see pictures of your baby if you have some
March 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Margaret
Yes, I have a scanner. A better question would be "Do you know how to use it?" The answer to that is a resounding "Not a chance!" lol I will see if I can get Dh to scan a pic for you. I don't know when it will be though because he is doing a bunch of projects around here getting the house ready for the baby.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisteal@Mar 17 2005, 07:50 PM
Hehe you're so cute hun Do you have a scanner? I'd love to see pictures of your baby if you have some <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
March 18th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
lol explain the button's on your scanner and I could probably help lol. Usually on the scanner scanner there's a button you will push and it will pop up stuff on your computer screne
March 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Margaret
It is a photocopier so all the "controls" are in Dh's computer. I broke the flatbed so I've tried to stay away from this one ever since we replaced the other one. :-(

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisteal@Mar 18 2005, 04:26 PM
lol explain the button's on your scanner and I could probably help lol. Usually on the scanner scanner there's a button you will push and it will pop up stuff on your computer screne <div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
March 18th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
HEHEHE awwww!! ok well whenever you get some pics post them here for me ok? I'll live my dreams of pregnancy through you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search