ATTENTION CERCLAGERS!

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so I'm not even a week post-op.... and I'm probably overreacting. Nevertheless, I just wanted to get an overall poll of issues we may/may not have after cerclage...

First, how long does the cramping last? It's mild, but nervewracking. Usually when I have to go #2, I feel somewhat achy.

Second, any discharge? I had some spotting for about 2 days and sop far that's it.....

Activity level - obviously no sex I'm back at work. It's a sit down job, so not so bad. If you are on bedrest, what's the reason? For myself, my cervix is in good shape, so the doc is not concerned at the moment.

Cervical changes - when did they occur for you? This is my 2nd baby, and when I had my 1st, my cervix was dialted but NOT effaced. This was the first sign of trouble, and was too late to do anything as my water broke. So for me, there's no way to tell now when my cervix changed so radically. Not only that, I'm not a clear-cut IC case.... Just curious if you are 100% IC, when did the changes start for you, personally?

Thanks for the input!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
April 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM
btlondon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok here is how my experience went

With my first cerclage I had cramping for about a week and with the second one I had hardly no cramping at all.

Second I had a few days spotting after first cerclage and had discharge the rest of the pregnancy. With the second I only spotted a few hours and now I am just having discharge.

Of course on activity NO SEX with both cerclages. With first one the other restriction was just to take it easy not to be lifting and not on my feet for VERY LONG periods at a time. With this last cerclage the dr told me I had been through it before and I knew what my limitations were.

My cervixs started changing at about 12 weeks but since my cerclage at 14 weeks nothing has changed much.

Hope this helps you out.

April 18th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Sweetie, as you know I had my cerclage (mcdonald) done at 17 wks and I'm now 29wks. So heres my run-down on everything. WARNING: Possible TMI, but all the truth about my expeirence so far.

Cramping - I didnt have a lot of cramping but I was really sore and pretty much felt like crap for about a week after the surgery. I took Tylenol for like 3 days after though. My doctors said tylenol and ex strength tylenol was perfectly safe.

Spotting - Mine only lasted about 2 days. But I remember them saying it could last up to a week, but shouldnt last more than that. And this might be TMI, but expect mucus from here on out. I've had a lot. The farther I get, the more abundent it gets too. The only way I know how to describe it is like the tissue looks the same as when you're blowing your nose, I know, gross. Happens worse w/ #2. I've been really worried about this but my docs say as long as it not slimy/green (infection), liquid/watery, or bloody that its perfectly normal.

Activity - I was on bed/pelvic rest as soon as the stitch was put in. I'm really not sure why I've been on bedrest. I think the team of docs here is just really careful because everyone they put a stitch is goes straight to bed. I could go to the bathroom, take showers and fix 'a quick bite to eat' at home. Now I'm in the hospital and it bathroom and 10-15 min shower. (I know you dont wanna hear about the hospital but you've got to understand the main reason I'm here is because I live so far away and my hospital at home is worthless to me at this point. This is the closest hospital to where I live that deals w/ high risk and has a NICU.)

Changes - I was have a cervical measurement evey two weeks at first. At 14wks my cervix was at 3.63cm and exactly 2 weeks later was 2.25cm. They didnt want to put the stitch in unless I went below 2.5cm but when the doc seen mine had went that quickly he said it was pretty urgent. I had my surgery about 18 hours later because he said he wouldnt feel comfortable w/ me going more than 2 more days w/ out having it done.

Sorry so long, at least it will be like a 'first hand expierence' mini-book for you.

April 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Sabrina77's Avatar Goose Crossing!
Everything in my pregnancy was moving along fine until my level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks. They found cervical funnelling but my cervix was still closed and a good length. They checked my cervix a week later and the funnelling had gotten worse. I was immediately taken to the hospital and put in a head down position on strict bed rest. That was not fun! I was admitted on Wednesday and had my cerclage put in on Friday. I was 21.5 weeks along. The cramping post op was pretty bad, and they had to give me a shot of morphine to help with the pain. I haven't had any cramping since. I had some mucus discharge for a few days but after that I was back to my normal pre-cerclage discharge (lukorehea - sp?). I have had 3 followup appointments since my surgery and everything looks fine. I had at one point thought one of my stitches came out (I had two put in) but the U/S showed both still intact. The doctors are keeping me off work, not allowed to have sex, but I am allowed to go to a movie or go out to dinner. Other then that I am keeping off my feet for the majority of the day.

My follow up U/S with the Peri is weekly, with me seeing my OB every two weeks.

~ss

April 20th, 2006, 07:02 AM
anissa's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to anissa Send a message via MSN to anissa
For me I only cramped the day they placed the cerclage. I did not have any kind of bleeding or discharge until I was 17 weeks. I then had some bleeding and this happened with both of my cerclages. I have the bleeding from what they call granulated tissue. What that is, is that my cervix does not heal right around the cerclage and I will have some bleeding untilt he cerclage is removed.

And of couse I have the no sex rule. As for Activity level I was on complete bedrest for 4 days after they palced ther cerclage. After that I could resume normal activity levels with no lifting over 10lbs or Vacuuming.

My Cervix was measuering great unitl I hit 20 weeks. It went from 5 to 3 then at 23 weeks it went to 2.7 then at 25 weeks it was a 2 so they put me on complete bed rest. They just did another check on it yesterday and it has not changed any further still at a 2 with no funneling.
Gavin Thomas 06/01/06
Emma Grace Born Sleeping 8/4/05 22 Weeks
Some people only dream of holding an Angel I actually held one!
Angel Baby 8/14/02
Angel Baby 12/28/04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search