Pregnancy after LEEP

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with pregnancy after LEEP. I started having abnormal paps in 2007 and after two colposcopies, had a LEEP procedure done in March of last year. I had another pap in July after the procedure and it was normal (Thank God!). I'm now pregnant and due in December but am terrified of an abnormal pap during pregnancy and what all that would entail as far as treatment... Any experience/advice would be appreciated!
April 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello! I am lurking here, but saw this topic in the sidebar, so wanted to check it out.

I had an abnormal pap in November of 2007, colposcopy that same month and was called back in immediatly for the LEEP procedure in December 2007. From all I have read and understand, IF you have an abnormal pap during pregnancy, they will not treat you until after you've delivered. Usually, in the 9 month span of a pregnancy, the chances of a mild or moderate case of cervical dysplasia (which is fairly common) turning into cancer is slim, and if it does, it is usually still treatable.

I do believe that the LEEP had an effect on my pregnancy, because I believe my cervix was weakened. Make sure you Dr. knows that you have had this procedure as they will want to keep a bit closer eye on you. My experience was that my cervix started shortening at 32 weeks, and pre-term labor began at 34 weeks. By 35 weeks, I was a stretchy 3-4 centimeters dialated and 80% effaced, but luckily, with turbutaline and rest until about 37 weeks, my body held out until 38 weeks and 2 days. This all could be a fluke and have nothing to do with the procedure, but I just tend to relate it.

GL!

April 21st, 2010, 04:58 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I came very close to a LEEP but my dysplasia magically fixed itself (I'll need one eventually though). I have been getting paps during pregnancy, and colposcopies (WITHOUT biopsies) are safe as well but they will delay biopsies and treatment until after the pregnancy.

LEEPs put you at risk for developing cervical incompetence (weakened cervix) but it is not a guarantee. The more conservative your LEEP the better your chances of avoiding incompetent cervix (IC). IC is treated with bedrest and sometimes cerclage, where they put a stitch in your cervix to help strengthen it.

Tell your doctor about your LEEP (though it will be obvious by looking at your cervix you've had one, I had a ton of biopsies and doctors can tell just by looking) and she will be sure to keep a close eye on your cervical length.

IC is one of the most common pregnancy complications I see here on this board (I've been hosting it nearly a year) and so far everyone has gone on to have successful deliveries, most of which were at or near term.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Hi - I too had a LEEP but YEARS ago. With my pregnancy with my daughter, my cervix shortened dramatically by 23 weeks, and I had funneling - and we made it to 34 with bedrest. With this pregnancy, I had a cerclage (preventative) and am taking progesterone shots, and at 20 weeks I have a "long, closed cervix" My dr joked Tuesday that I could do a cervix transplant and DONATE cervix I had so much ) (fingers crossed)

So was it the LEEP that caused my IC? I dont know. I also had subch hema. and maybe passing all the blood clots compromised my cervix?? Who knows!

I agree with all the gals here - careful monitering is your best bet. On thing I will say though in regards to Rebecca's comment "Tell your doctor about your LEEP (though it will be obvious by looking at your cervix you've had one")

EVEN if its in your chart, even if they reassure you that its not an issue - tell them every visit! Ask to have frequent ultrasounds! They cant see anything cervical until about 16 -17 weeks so I would ask for one at 17 then again at 20 then again at 23. Because even though I had a leep (and a cone biopsy which is the cervical kiss of death) they never thought to monitor me for IC. it was only during a genetic screen that they happened to catch that I was shortening. So I just would caution you not to rely on their assurances if they tell you not to worry about it unless they are LOOKING at your u/s.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search