Turbutaline

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am 31 1/2 weeks pregnant. I was put on turbutaline 1 1/2 weeks ago do to preterm labor. Has anyone ever had to take this? I heard it can lead to brain damage on the baby. Does any one know about this?
They said I will be on it until 35 weeks. How soon will I probably go into labor once I'm off? Thanks in advance for ANY replies!

Make a pregnancy ticker

April 28th, 2006, 09:40 PM
tiggers_best_buddy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was on it with my son till 36 weeks and I had him at 39 weeks 1day
April 29th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenniferk
I was on it for about 8 weeks when I was pregnant with Isaac. They took me off when I was 35 weeks. I was 3-4cm dilated and I still went to 36 weeks! I was also taken off bed rest at 35 weeks. Isaac is absolutely perfect!
April 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Sugar+Spicex3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had to take it for at least 8 weeks with every single pregnancy. All 3 of my girls are perfect!

</div>
April 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss. Impatient Bevis
popping in from Sept Playroom....

i was on it with my youngest DD and they actaully gave me a shot of it when i was in labour at 36 weeks (without my permission) ... i called a few OBs and the majority of them told me that it was common to be on the tabs until 35 weeks but the shot is a no no after 34 weeks.... because of the shot Kayla was born with nmonia (sp) and had to be kept in the hospital for a week after she was born.... i had her at 36 weeks 6 days.....
you could talk to your doc and see if you could just be on minimum dose when the contractions start.... there was no way i was going to be on it full time with what i had read about it.... i only took the minimum

May 1st, 2006, 04:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is there a chance even if you are taking turbutaline that you can still go into pre-term labour??

</div>
May 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss. Impatient Bevis
Quote:
Is there a chance even if you are taking turbutaline that you can still go into pre-term labour??[/b]
When i was on it the doc said that if you were going to go into "full labour" you would... even with the meds... turbutaline just stops contractions... its a medication for broncitis (sp?) and it loosens muscles like a relaxent.... there for stopping the contractions... .but its not going to stop it if you are really ready to have the baby....
HTH

May 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
3girls1boy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on it with my son for a week. It made me misreble then i went in labor 2 weeks after i was on it, He is 7 weeks old today

May 2nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I didn't take it daily, but I did receive three injections of it. The first two injections were at 34w4d - I went into preterm labor and was having contractions every 3 minutes. The first injection did not stop the contractions so I received a second an hour after the first. The contractions finally turned into uterine irritability. I went into preterm labor again at 35w2d and received a second injection. The contractions again turned into uterine irritability and I was sent home. I went into labor again at 36 weeks. (Did not deliver because my daughter is breech and I did not begin to dilate.)

I will be having a c-section on May 12th so I should know then if the treb injections effected her in any way.

May 8th, 2006, 03:03 PM
kassia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Is there a chance even if you are taking turbutaline that you can still go into pre-term labour??[/b]
I was on it daily, every four hours but once I went into true Labor it did not stop the contractions. My DD was born at 32 weeks

May 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
I was on terb with my ds. Started at 28 weeks when I dilated to 2. The shot didn't really do much, required magnesium the first two trips to the hospital after the shot failed. At home I took the pill every 3 hours. The pill worked in delaying my labor, but it didn't really stop the contractions. I was in and out of the hospital every week with regular contrax, though my cervix stopped progressing. I went off the terb at 33.5 weeks (there was a mixup with my due date, they thought I was 36 weeks when I went off). Within 24 hours I went into labor and dilated to 3, then stalled, and within another 48 hours my water broke and I was induced. Delivered at exactly 34 weeks.

With dd#2 they wanted to give me terb again at 30 weeks when I dilated to 1, but I refused. The side effects were too severe with my ds and I didn't want to go through that again. My water broke at 32 weeks, then resealed. Aside from that, I managed to fight off labor until 37.5 weeks when I dilated and stalled at 6 and my OB induced out of sympathy.

In short, terb is pretty good at delaying labor, I've heard many stories of women staying pregnant then going into labor shortly after discontinuing. I've never heard the brain damage thing -- and my ds was just fine, even being born 6 weeks early. But if you're uncomfortable with the drug, don't take it. If you're meant to go into labor, it'll happen, terb or not. And with the right precautions, you can fight the labor without the drug like I did with #3.

Good luck!

May 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Krysta's Avatar Super Mommy
I had to have several shots of terb, as well. I hated it and it did not stop my contractions, just made me shaky and feel yuck, I had my daughter and 35 weeks, 6 days and she was perfectly healthy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search