New here...... bad news today

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Went in for the big u/s yesterday, first of all it took an hour b/c baby didn't cooperate well and all the measurements were hard to get. Then she called another tech in b/c my cervix was measuring small. She obviously wasn't allowed to say anything, but I'm not stupid and I figured out what was going on. So I freaked out once I got home obviously and called a good family friend that is the head nurse on the OB, she said not to worry that the doctors biggest complaint out there is that the u/s techs can't properly read cervical length. I was still concerned so we called the doctor last night and they got me in at 8:30 am this morning...... my fears were confirmed.... my cervix was measuring at 2.1 and my doctor likes it to be at least 2.5..... I had a LEEP procedure done about a year ago, and that is one of the main causes of a short cervix. My doctor never once mentioned this to me at the beginning of my pregnancy, and only a few weeks ago did I hear of the risks...... Now I am on complete bedrest, and off of work the entire rest of my pregnancy..... this is just awful..... so the plan is go back a week from today and measure again, if it stays the same length we will stick with the bedrest, if it shortens we will have to look into other things (cerclage) but my doctor says that isn't something she wants to jump into b/c of the risk of being thrown into preterm labor........ so that's about it, I'll sure be on here even more than normal now that I can't do anything but walk to the bathroom or sit on the porch!! ugghhhh i hate this!
PS All of you ladies who are having this problem please respond I don't know what to think at all about all this, or what it's going to be like so any help or encouragement would be appreciated!

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Veteran
I'm so sorry to hear about your news. I know exactly what that is all about. My cervix was 2.1 cm around 20 weeks and by 25 weeks it was down to 0 and I had been having preterm labor. I spent 8 weeks in the hospital and have been home for two weeks now. But I've made it to 32 weeks with no cerclage. Bedrest can definitely help but you really need to watch for PTL... bad back pain, hip pain, any tightening, anything that feels out of the ordinary go to L&D to be monitored. And I know this is easier said than done but try to remain calm... I found that stress made things worse for me. There is another group for just this condition and you will find a ton of info there.

http://groups.msn.com/incompetentcervixsupport

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kim
May 11th, 2006, 05:45 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
My increasing concern and further reading made me feel even more uneasy today, so I called the friend that I have on the OB floor, she talked to the other doctor within the practice I go to (my regular gyn)(we see all of them when pregnant) He wouldn't refer me to OSU b/c he said they wouldn't even see me with a measurement of 2.1.... He prescribed me a big tight band thing to wear around my belly to ease the pressure on my cervix, it has made me so much more comfortable... almost immediately I felt as though the brick had been lifted off of my bladder..... He also said that he will NOT allow a cerclage to be done at this point b/c it would almost certainly put me into PTL this far along...... so....... looks like no matter what it's gonna be bedrest, he said I needed to hold that thing in at least for annother 8 weeks so it has a really good chance of survival and of having no major health problems.......

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

May 12th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry to hear about your cervical news, but it's deffinatly wonderful that they caught it when they did! I've got quite a lengthy cervix story so we'll go for the short version. I lost my first baby at 21wks due to I/C caused from a leep. We had no clue a leep could cause I/C, reg ob/gyn said it wouldnt, surpirse. This pregnancy I think there's been 2 weeks since I've known that I havnt went to the doc. I started seeing a team of 4 perinatolgists at 14 weeks. At 14wks I was 3.63cm, by 16 I was 2.25 so I had a cerclage the next morning one day shy of 17 weeks. Cerclage seemed to be doing well until 25 wks I was starting to funnel. At that point I was put in the hospital and just came home monday. I was in there for 7weeks. As for the bedrest, I've been on it since Jan 20th. Bedrest isnt fun at all but it's tons more fun than the alternative. My biggest piece of advice is whatever you do, try your best not to think about "if i had a normal pregnancy...." I might be wrong, the thought may have not ever crossed your mind but thats been something that I struggle with. Support from family and friends will be very important for the next few months. Bedrest at home is like a vacation compared to hospital. But, if for some reason you do have to stay in the hospital, hopefully you wont, its just one of those things that you know there's really no other option. I've never heard of the belly band thing you're talking about but it sounds like a maternity support belt. It makes a lot of sense to me because the farther along you are the more pressure is on your cervix. Hang in there and PLEASE feel free to pm if you'd like to about anything. These message boards have been a live-saver to me the past 16 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search